Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a quick how to install a factory homelink in your challenger if it didn't come with it. first i started with a donor car. i found a 2007 magnum with the factory homelink. i removed the overhead console and wire harness from it. only kept the wires i needed for the homelink module.

then i removed the overhead console on the chalenger. it just pulls straight out with no screws. i then removed the black plug where the module would go. it is held in with 4 torx head screws. i disassembled the magnum's homelink module so i could paint the cover to match the challenger's black parts. i used special interior trim paint that's the correct satin black color. i didn't paint the 3 buttons because they light up. i may go back and paint them if i can mask off the tiny lights.

i then installed the painted homelink module in the overhead console.

then i removed the right A-pillar cover to gain access to the wire harness.

i then fished the donor homelink wire harness into the console opening and out to the A-pillar.

then i splice and added the 5 wires from the homelink into the A-pillar connector. i color matched each wire to the unused wires in the connector.
the A-pillar connector has a dozen wires, but only three were used on my car.

after it is wired up, i reinstalled the overhead console. again it just snaps into place. now you're ready to program it like the owners manuals says. it works perfectly like in was installed from the factory. it even lights up when you turn the headlights on. even dims when you dim the interior lights.

the only thing is you can't tell if you're programming it correctly without the EVIC display. but, you will know if you did it right when it opens your garage door.

if you can find a challenger donor car, all the better.

tony

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks Tony.
That was well done. Incidently, how did you go about finding a donor car?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're all over the place. just look on the lxforums and see Cam is parting out a srt magnum right now. also check clevelandpickapart.com and ebay.
they always have them. i bought a homelink setup there for my other dodge.

·
Registered
495 Posts
they're all over the place. just look on the lxforums and see Cam is parting out a srt magnum right now. also check clevelandpickapart.com and ebay.
they always have them. i bought a homelink setup there for my other dodge.
Great information Tony. I just scored an overhead counsel from a 2008 300C with Homelink on eBay. It just got listed. Now that it is coming, does the local Dodge dealer have the trim paint? :bigthumb:

·
Registered
495 Posts
i got the paint at the auto body supply store.

did you get the wire harness with the overhead console you bought?
Possibly, I got part of the harness. It was on a "Buy it now" and the console certainly is the same as our Challengers except for color so I snapped it up for $40 bucks + postage. I was aware of the wiring harness when I got the console, and I figured I would wait and see what I get. I can get a new harness or look for a pull or fabricate my own. I am not too worried about this, as any service manual will have the color code and connector type. It is too cold here (even in my heated garage) to do any work so I can easily wait for a few more parts and play with this inside. This console looked too clean to loose.
Homellink is made by Johnson Controls and they have a nice web site loaded with programming instructions. If I can peel out the logic from them I can likely fabricate a display or just LED's to indicate the programming cycle. However, once I know the power and lighting control I can scope out the digital signals on the other leads anyhow. Looks like a fun project.

I'll try Eastwood for trim paint. I'll let you know what comes in from eBay.
Again thank you for this post and if I get a create a simple do-it-yourself
programming indicator, I'll share it with our Challenger community.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I received my overhead console today that I picked up on eBay. It is very clean and fortunately has about a foot of the wiring harness. This way all I'll have to do is solder & shrink tube the harness extensions and keep the color code.

It is warming up, so I actually might get to it next week. There is a lot to learn and plenty of good ideas on this forum. Looks like people wipe out new cars just as fast as old ones. Another interesting source of parts I never thought about. Now I get Homelink for $40 bucks and some labor.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Has anyone actually been able to get it programmed?

I have the factory installed homelink. Can't get it to sync with my garage door opener.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I suppose it would be helpful if I say what I actually tried. I have a rolling code garage door opener, so I followed those instructions. I pressed the "Learn" button on the garage door opener, which gives me 30 seconds for step 2. After having "cleared" the codes on the buttons, I pressed the first button twice. I held it 2 seconds each time as per the instructions. It never "coded". I tried holding it down for longer periods, I tried pressing it multiple times...no luck. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suppose it would be helpful if I say what I actually tried. I have a rolling code garage door opener, so I followed those instructions. I pressed the "Learn" button on the garage door opener, which gives me 30 seconds for step 2. After having "cleared" the codes on the buttons, I pressed the first button twice. I held it 2 seconds each time as per the instructions. It never "coded". I tried holding it down for longer periods, I tried pressing it multiple times...no luck. Any thoughts?

where is the part that you used the hand held transmitter first to train the homelink?

maybe the instructions in the manual are confusing to some. when they say garage door opener, they mean the motor unit on the door itself, and not the handheld transmitter.

first, you have to clear all codes
then, you have to train the homelink with the handheld transmitter
finally, to have to press the button by the door opener's motor, followed by pressing the button on the homelink.

done.

does that make sense? is that what you did?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I received my overhead console today that I picked up on eBay. It is very clean and fortunately has about a foot of the wiring harness. This way all I'll have to do is solder & shrink tube the harness extensions and keep the color code.

It is warming up, so I actually might get to it next week. There is a lot to learn and plenty of good ideas on this forum. Looks like people wipe out new cars just as fast as old ones. Another interesting source of parts I never thought about. Now I get Homelink for $40 bucks and some labor.

Matrix, did you ever get this installed and working?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes and no, SS Dodge. The Homelink works fine as I did a test with it by just a quick wire in at the passenger pillar harness. So that part is fine. I thought that would be a safe bet before playing around with me overhead console.

Then I got tied up on a few other projects and finally picked up the trim paint.
The real issue why I haven't installed it was that it became obvious that the twisted pair (orange white/white) coming from the pigtail was the CAN Bus lead using the Homelink as a sub-node. I thought it would be nice to pick up the Homelink code in a controller so we could have the advantage of the several message codes. However, I could get a CAN -> USB converter and catch it on my notebook, but thats another hunk of cash for a device that I have little use for. Johnson Controls has too much crud to go through to get myself listed as a developer. There might already be a single purpose Homelink controller around as Johnson Controls has the market cornered. I can't seem to find one on the WEB so I'll stop by my audio/electronics shop that installs all the typical goodies and ask them.

If that fails then I'll just stick it in, as it does work and its nuts to spend any more time on it. You just need to follow the training instructions and it helps to have two people to train the garage opener if it has a roaming code.

All the information you supplied me with was right on target. Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
SS Dodge I was looking at my 09 Challenger SRT's Homelink the lenses are not painted and have green plastic lenses so I'm going to paint the one I just bought off E-bay for my wifes SE dark slate grey then scratch off the paint on the lights. I also have an SRT dash cluster coming so the steering wheel button project will be near complete. I will need the 4 wheel tire moniter and figure out were to put the oil/water temp sender if I even use it.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SS Dodge I was looking at my 09 Challenger SRT's Homelink the lenses are not painted and have green plastic lenses so I'm going to paint the one I just bought off E-bay for my wifes SE dark slate grey then scratch off the paint on the lights. I also have an SRT dash cluster coming so the steering wheel button project will be near complete. I will need the 4 wheel tire moniter and figure out were to put the oil/water temp sender if I even use it.

you won't get the four individual tire pressure readings to work. there is more invloved in the premium tire pressure system than the wheel sensors. also, i'm not sure the compass/temp gauge in the EVIC will work even if you add the homelink. that feature may still need to be enabled.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When typing, it is hard to get what you mean without a long explaination. Anyway I didn't mean the 4 wheel sensors in the wheels I was thinking the actual module in the car were ever it is. When I get all the parts then I will take the one out of the SRT and plug it in and see what happens. I think you are right about programming tho. Also remember I replaced the under dash wiring harness to match my SRT. I even have the plugins for the start and go which I know there is more to that then just the modules and Win and such.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You will probably need to get the generic 6 way connector from Chrysler
it's part # 05183472AA. As stated before you'll need wires from the 6 way connector and splice into the connector 12 way #C204 located in the passenger A-Pillar.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 118 Posts