Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Thank you for the time and effort you put into this post. You are certainly a credit to this forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A question on the rear deck. My RT on order will not have the 8 inch sub. I noticed the taped cover over where the sub would be. If that tape is removed, does it open to the trunk? I'm asking as I will be installing aftermarket subwoofers in the trunk and would like an open ported access to the cab of the car. As a hole is already there, half the battle would be won.

Excellent write up though!

·
Registered
647 Posts
A question on the rear deck. My RT on order will not have the 8 inch sub. I noticed the taped cover over where the sub would be. If that tape is removed, does it open to the trunk? I'm asking as I will be installing aftermarket subwoofers in the trunk and would like an open ported access to the cab of the car. As a hole is already there, half the battle would be won.

Excellent write up though!
If it is the same as the Charger then yes.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Jeez, thanks for the write up, I guess. Now I have not excuse to not go spend money on upgrading the muddy sound system.

(Seriously though, thanks for great write up! :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
How to install front speakers

Hey Troops

Does anyone have pics of where/how the factory amp is installed? I got one donated from a wrecked Charger and want to install it with my new Infinity Kappas (front and back). I've got the stock four speaker system and OEM head unit with Sirrus and want to do some work this weekend.

Also going to install the front dash speakers as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the factory amp is installed under the steering column.

if you have the base radio with no amp, then you may have issues with wiring. might be easier to upgrade with an aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice install guide. I plan on doing the same hook up with 2 3.5 speakers in the front. I looked at a website that said the backs were 6x9s. Looking at the pics, I don't think those will fit. Do you agree?

·
Registered
2009 SRT8
114 Posts
Accessing speakers

OK, the front door speakers, one door all the fur trees came off with the panel. One door the two in middle stayed on the door. I went to Autozone to get some replacements, they did not fit straitght, so I pulled the originals out of the door with pliers. As I was installing the panel one fell out, because the head of one of them was broken. So one door has 4. The rear speakers was another story. I started to remove the panel and I had to use a screwdriver/tool to get one side off correctly. The bottom part going to the sill cracked as I was pulling it off. It was a *****. I only pulled off one panel and was able to remove the rear carpet covering the speakers. I think I can put it back, but havent done it yet. The speakers are not working. Maybe a bad connection on them. I will check them tomorrow. So be careful when removing the rear panels. You might need to pry with something long enough for leverage or try to stick your hand/arm back there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
....i replaced all 4 speakers in my chally...i have the base stereo....the front went really easy....now the rear deck took my about 2.5 hrs...i had to put the seats down...they were a pain to get too....but i took my time no rush....sorry to hear you had a difficult time installing them....i purchased my speaker replacements through Crutchfield and they sent correct the speaker harness for all of them....i made my own hardware for the speaker adapters though....i didn`t like the ones that came with them...i didn`t want those speakers coming loose .....

·
Registered
450 Posts
....i replaced all 4 speakers in my chally...i have the base stereo....the front went really easy....now the rear deck took my about 2.5 hrs...i had to put the seats down...they were a pain to get too....but i took my time no rush....sorry to hear you had a difficult time installing them....i purchased my speaker replacements through Crutchfield and they sent correct the speaker harness for all of them....i made my own hardware for the speaker adapters though....i didn`t like the ones that came with them...i didn`t want those speakers coming loose .....
You had mentioned earlier in this thread about Crutchfield saying the Kappa 2-ways would not fit. I confirmed this with them and they say that the speakers are 1/2 inch too deep. Thing is, the OP here seems to have had no issues at all and they went right in (they look fine in the pics). Did you also put these Kappas in there? Any issues with depth?

·
Registered
51 Posts
...I went with Alpines because Crutchfield said they would fit in fine....they told me the Kappas would not fit...I tried to contact the OP but he did not get back to me... if he did some type of retro fitting i`m not sure.....I wanted a speaker to drop in ..so I just went with the Alpines....maybe Crutchfield could be wrong about that speaker> Kappas> not fitting who knows....hope your install goes well...

Peace...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
The Kappas DO fit. I don't know why crutchfield says otherwise. I don't think the speaker magnet even touches anything once installed. They probably have some wierd measurement for the speaker hole depth and so the system just flags them as not compatible. Honestly I can't see how anything would not fit as long as its the right speaker size. At the most the magnets would push down on the cover that protects the backside of the speakers from the trunk contents. This partition just flexes out of the way. I think my 8" sub that is in the factory hole does this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crutchfield says that the Kappa 3.5's in the dash, Kappa 6x9's in the doors, and Kappa 6.5's in the rear deck ALL don't fit......all of which fit fine. I have all in my 2010 Chally. Even three ways, which I don't know if makes a difference. Sounds amazing. The water guard on the front door 6x9's had to be shaved down a tad, but no difference and sounds great.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
i have a 2010 r/t with 4 speaker system.i got upgraded speakers with my mopar bucks.one set are the front dash speakers.i took the dash apart and there is no wiring for them.i installed them anyway and pretending they are on mute.does anyone know if there is wiring for them or not?

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Did you get any good max depth measurements while you had the speakers out? I am also wondering what the speakers in the upgraded sound packages look like.

Great writeup - as usual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have a 2010 r/t with 4 speaker system.i got upgraded speakers with my mopar bucks.one set are the front dash speakers.i took the dash apart and there is no wiring for them.i installed them anyway and pretending they are on mute.does anyone know if there is wiring for them or not?
There is not. Those with the base 4 speaker system, like myself, do not have wires going to the dash. The models with upgraded sound have a whole different wiring harness. I upgraded all four speakers, but didn't bother with the dash. If you really want to do it, you could splice the wires.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts