Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Subscribed as this could come in useful later on.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
So when I installed my new speakers in the doors, I wanted to verify if they turned on, and sure enough they did, but barely any sound came out, is this normal? the stock ones did this too. Am doing something wrong, is my stock deck busted? Please help!
Depends on how your's is set up but my door speakers were subs only, so you won't get full range sound if that is the case with you. Also need to check pos and neg polarity; just switch the wires and see if that helps. if not, you're amp is probably just pushing subwoofer frequencies to the doors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got thru installing a pair of
Rockford Fosgate PRIME R169X3 6"x9"
Car Speakers in my 2009 SE front doors.

They were slightly too big and did not fit into the speaker adapter plate.
The Prime R169x3 6"x9" speakers fit a 5.93" x 8.59" oval hole. Too big.
I had to do some major trimming on the adapter plate and even when
I got the speaker to sit flush with the adapter plate, the mounting holes
for the speakers did not line up with the holes on the adapter plates.
I ended up gluing the speakers to the adapter plates with some RTV silicone glue.
I killed two birds with one stone. Adhesion and vibration resistance between
the speaker to adapter plate interface. Those suckers are stuck on there good.

A better choice would have been the Punch P1692 6"X9" SPEAKERS.
They fit in a 5.77" X 8.51" oval hole. Just right for the Challenger
speaker adapters for the door speakers. Live and learn.
Most speaker manufacturers have the measurement data for
download before the purchase. Do your homework before buying.

I also went thru 5 SQ Ft of DynaMat Xtreme covering the inside
of the plastic door panels and the metal parts of the door.

Now to remove the dash panel and install some
Rockford Fosgate R1T-S 1" Dome Car Tweeters

in the 3.5" dash speaker locations.

After thats all wrapped up, I will focus on the rear package shelf speaker replacement.
I will be removing the OEM speakers for close measurements BEFORE ordering the new rear speakers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got thru installing a pair of
Rockford Fosgate PRIME R169X3 6"x9"
Car Speakers in my 2009 SE front doors.

They were slightly too big and did not fit into the speaker adapter plate.
The Prime R169x3 6"x9" speakers fit a 5.93" x 8.59" oval hole. Too big.
I had to do some major trimming on the adapter plate and even when
I got the speaker to sit flush with the adapter plate, the mounting holes
for the speakers did not line up with the holes on the adapter plates.
I ended up gluing the speakers to the adapter plates with some RTV silicone glue.
I killed two birds with one stone. Adhesion and vibration resistance between
the speaker to adapter plate interface. Those suckers are stuck on there good.

A better choice would have been the Punch P1692 6"X9" SPEAKERS.
They fit in a 5.77" X 8.51" oval hole. Just right for the Challenger
speaker adapters for the door speakers. Live and learn.
Most speaker manufacturers have the measurement data for
download before the purchase. Do your homework before buying.

I also went thru 5 SQ Ft of DynaMat Xtreme covering the inside
of the plastic door panels and the metal parts of the door.

Now to remove the dash panel and install some
Rockford Fosgate R1T-S 1" Dome Car Tweeters

in the 3.5" dash speaker locations.

After thats all wrapped up, I will focus on the rear package shelf speaker replacement.
I will be removing the OEM speakers for close measurements BEFORE ordering the new rear speakers.
The door mounts have to be modifed to fit nearly all aftermarket replacements. I used my Dremel to cut away the drip shields. The JBL P963's that I installed this weekend were ever so slightly larger like your Rockford Fosgates, but there was enough give in the plastic door mount that I was able to force the Torx screws in no problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Does my 2013 Challenger have the whole dash panel come off? I swear I saw pics somewhere with just the grills removed to access the 3.5's

·
Registered
17 Posts
HELP! Considering putting in 6x9s in doors and amping them.

Hey Guys, (all free to chime in as needed)

I've got a 2012 RT 6spd. It's got the 6 speaker setup. God knows if it's the BA setup or whatever, I'm pretty sure it is. I've got that lousy 130 basic head unit.

Anyway, I've got enough bass. I have a cvr kicker in the trunk. Vented out the rear deck to allow the air to flow, have no rattles. I took out the rear 6.5s and put 3.5s in their place.

Problem Is............................

My highs are nice, lows are great, but I can't hear anything in the middle! Lol. I'm thinking of putting 6x9s in the doors (dreading taking all that apart) but since it only sounds like the door speakers have BASS coming out of them, I'm considering running an amplifier on those as well - just piggy back off my subwoofer amp that I have set up with my audiocontrol Lc2i.

thinking about running just some simple Kicker 6x9 CS6934 3 ways and running a simple 100Wx2 at 4 ohm amp.

Please advise me on if I need to have the amp push these 6x9s for best sound???

And if any of you have done this can you send me pictures or video of the process. I also beleive once you start taking door panels off, they will never be the way they were when they were brand new. I wish QLogic would sell a kick panel box for our challengers.

Any help is vastly appreciated. :pillepalle:

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you are careful and follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread you should have no problems. I've had the panels off my '13 R/T three times now, and they are fine. No rattles, everything still works, they still fit tightly

·
Registered
17 Posts
6x9 on outside of panel?

Hey,

What do you think about possibly mounting the 6x9s right on the outside of the door panel?

I'll just cout from inside out toward the size of the 6x9, dremel a somewhat smooth shape, and then let the lip of the 6x9 and grill sit right over it. Would it be too big? Just a thought. Might look kinda cool.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Wow I didn't realize this thread was still active. I'd figure it would have been replaced by now but I guess I did a better job than I expected. You have a PM btw HemiKing

Now I'll make a confession...I actually haven't had my challenger since late 2010. I was having issues with Chrysler cealers doing work on my car and I finally got fed up and traded the car for something else. The car was literally shaking at highways speeds and the 3 dealers all said everything was fine. This admittedly was during the whole bankruptcy deal so I can't say that this is a current issue, or even an issue outside of my area, so don't judge your service on my experience. One of these days I might try and get a Challenger again. I prolly can afford an SRT8 now. Maybe if they'd bring back the green color (I know they offered it for a time)...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kicking Myself now

Hey Everyone, just wanted to update on the 6x9 front door install.

The door panel was super super easy. Probabaly the easiest and best designed door panel ever. I used a forhead strap headlight while working, so that helped visually, but this was a piece of cake.... that being said I'm totally
kicking myself for not having done this way back when and being so nervous about it.

I installed just a basic Kicker cs694 6x9s on each side. They are much bigger than the lousy paper zero weight crap that came out, but still fit in the original piece that holds the speaker. Most people end up having to cut the watershed thing to make speakers fit, the kickers fit right in. Plus I didn't want anything outrageous, I have a kicker CVR in the trunk providing all the bass. I just needed more mid area coverage which these do perfectly.

I'm also amplifying these bad boys, they are sounding spectacular!!! I had to run new wiring through the rubber thing that connects the door. Very simple 4 tab release on that boot thing, drilled a hole through it ran and soldered the wires. Also made sure wire was ziptied up by the existing cables to make sure the window rolling didn't hit it or anything. Then into the car, and the rocker panel, kick panel, all very simple easy pop off and pop back on like nothing happened.

Just a tip, kick panel comes off last, first rocker, then a panel higher up right along dashboard thickness, then below - the kick panel.

thanks for all the help. I'm soo happy!!!!

Just to sum up the whole system that is pretty banging on a budget.

Stock head unit 130.

Two factory 3.5s in the dashboard.

Two aftermarket 3.5s Polk Adio DB 351 $50 frys electronics in place of the stock 6.5s in the back deck to allow for the subwoofer to breathe into cab through the original holes. Also removed cover from factory 8" hole to also allow breathing. These 3.5 hooked up to factory wiring - not amplified by aftermarket amp.

One kicker 12 inch CVR in a single sealed box set up at 2ohms, with an MTX Thunder 250D pushing it. In addition to the MTX have installed an Audiocontrol Lc2i which is tapped into rear speakers for sound input as well. Excellent with bass saving.

dynamat on rear trunk lid under the carpeting.

Kicker cs694 $50 sale in the front doors, pushed with $65 sale SSL 150x2 at 4 ohm amp. This amp was high speaker level input from rear speakers also.

Since the amps are not overly demanding, ran 8 gauge power wiring two kits about $15 bucks each.

NO issues whatsoever, everything works like magic. I did slightly crack the kick panel though during install. But better that then something else important. haha.

Thank you folks!:banana:

·
Registered
150 Posts
just a couple of pictures I took when installing my new system. after you pop the rubber boot off and take the 4 clips out all you need is a pair of scissors to poke a hole in the plastic above and then use those scissors to twist out a nice clean hole 4 speaker wire to run through the doors..no drilling or anything needed just a pair of scissors. Also the factory amp under driver side is held on by 3 screws that attach it to a mounting bracket. you need to remove the whole bracket &amp so you can take the end off and then place the bracket back on. I did this to remove the amp. hopefully pictures below are useful cuz I was worried about how hard it would be to make a hole for the speaker wires to go through but it literally took 10 seconds on each side

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
gmatic, when you were in the doors did you notice if the speaker wires were piggybacked from the door speakers to the dash speakers in a series? I recently swapped out all 6 speakers on my factory non amplified system. There were only 4 sets of speaker wires behind the factory head unit to power the 6 speakers. I put a 4 channel amp on the 6 speakers via a LC7i. The front 2 channels are powering the front door and dash speakers and the rear 2 channels are powering the rear deck speakers. I then added a sub on a 1 channel amp. The 6 speakers inside sound horrible and it is because of the front 4 speakers being on 2 channels. They are completely overpowering the rear speakers to the point that I have to fade a lot to the rear. I ordered a set of components and I am going to remove the door and dash speakers all together and just put the components in the door via a mounting bracket. This way I eliminate having that second signal going to the dash. Does this make sense to you?????

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow I didn't realize this thread was still active. I'd figure it would have been replaced by now but I guess I did a better job than I expected. You have a PM btw HemiKing

Now I'll make a confession...I actually haven't had my challenger since late 2010. I was having issues with Chrysler cealers doing work on my car and I finally got fed up and traded the car for something else. The car was literally shaking at highways speeds and the 3 dealers all said everything was fine. This admittedly was during the whole bankruptcy deal so I can't say that this is a current issue, or even an issue outside of my area, so don't judge your service on my experience. One of these days I might try and get a Challenger again. I prolly can afford an SRT8 now. Maybe if they'd bring back the green color (I know they offered it for a time)...
I figured you were not a Challenger owner for a while. But I want to thank you for showing me how to take the panel off the right way. I used your thread to be able to change out the weatherstrips that cracked shortly after I got my car. I did it right and for 4 years now, it's still good. Thanks again and I'm sorry your not a Challenger owner anymore but hey, maybe in the future you will.

Dino

61 - 80 of 99 Posts