Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install the 2 black hood stripes on the car. The dealers here want $900 which is is absurd. I can buy the vinyl 3M made stripes online for $100. I just don't know how to install them. I'm sure I can guess what would happen if I tried.

Are there any online tuturials about how they are to be installed? I don't want to end up with two crooked ones.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
have you ever installed any decals? if not i suggest buying them online and taking to a local sign/decal shop. shouldnt take more than an hour or 2. where are you located b the way?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep....

...what he said. If you have never done this, find a local body or sign shop. Should be way less than what you were quoted.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I think the dealers quote high just to get the easy work for the unsuspecting customer. Then again, they could be covering themselves in case they screw up and have to buy some more vinyl for the do over. Did you check out the sign shops around town? My town of 40k has a bunch of them. That's only a $200 option including the vinyl.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here in NJ (where everything costs too much) they charge 300-400 tops for full front to rear stripes installed. If they are charging 900 bucks, I am in the wrong business and moving into your town.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go for it. I never did it before and I put my own side stripes on. Just google installing decals and follow the instructions. Most decals come with instructions. The decal will be basically floating on a water and soap mixture, until you squeegee it out.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Go for it. I never did it before and I put my own side stripes on. Just google installing decals and follow the instructions. Most decals come with instructions. The decal will be basically floating on a water and soap mixture, until you squeegee it out.

Just what Noob said. It's pretty easy. take your time and keep the decal wet until you have it where you want it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put my own on. There is a wealth of information on the internet that shows how. Depending on the type of vinyl, some soapy water and a squeegee. The 3M carbon fiber I used was applied dry. The only time consuming part was getting them aligned exactly the way I wanted them before pressing them down.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Definitely put them on yourself. I had a local sign shop cut a set of hood stripes from a stock SRT8 pattern they found for 75 bucks (4 pieces), and used automotive grade 3M flat black vinyl. The windshield squirters will set your gap at the top, just folow that down to the emblem. Put a couple of drops of dishsoap into a squirt bottle and wet everything. Just make adjustments until you have it in the correct spot and start squeegy-ing the water from under the vinyl. Like they said, there's a ton of instructions on the web. Been on the car for a year and still looks new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a hood Stripe and T/A style stripes from Rider. I couldn't find anyone to install locally without them wanting a ton of money. So I searched on Youtube for "Vinyl graphics install" found tons of videos. I ended up doing it my self. It wasn't hard just time consuming as I am picky. The best tip I can give you is "preparation, preparation, preparation". Once I watched the Videos on Youtube it made me fell a whole lot better about doing it. I used the wet method with a soapy solution which neutralizes the Adhesive on the vinyl and you can basically slide the stripe all over the place. What took me the longest was measuring everything. I tapped everything down with Masking tape. I did the nose first to get it spaced properly around the nose badge. Once that was done the rest was just lining everything up with those and I the Washer nozzles.

Here is the Video I watched:

Here is how it came out. :guiness:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do the research and then do it yourself. It is not that hard to do. As someone else said, they will be floating on a soap and water solution so you can slide it around and when you have it in position you will squeegee it and it will stay in place.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I bought stripes for my wife's R/T. No way I was going to put them on myself. I went to a local window tinting that does it all. Did a great job for $75. Well worth it. I'm sure theres places where you live that will do it reasonably.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The soap and water method works well, however, check with Phoenix Graphix. They have a product called slide on. Its a gell. Buy the squeegee also. The gell resists drying and the more you use, the more time you have. The graphic literally just slides around until you are thru with it and squeegee it out. I have done several of the huge one piece Trans Am hood birds, which is notorious for being one of the hardest graphics to install. Perfect, no bubbles and positioned to the millimeter. Do not ever work in the hot sun. It's a piece of cake. By the way, they also carry beautiful graphics kits. I am in no way associated with this company. I have just used them for years and have always had perfect results.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought my stripes from Rider Graphics and followed their instructions. Very straight forward. If you take your time and use lots of soap water it is hard to mess it up. Key is take your time and don't rush. If you don't have much patience, then pay someone to do it for you. It is definitely a do it yourself job if you are willing to take your time.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts