Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They just came today, hopefully to be installed soon. I have an SLP Loudmouth I exhaust to which they will attach. I want them to have space to vibrate while being best concealed from the outside. Heres what I think:

Attachment pipe should make a plane that is parallel to the ground. Outer side of the car, just behind the exhaust hanger. End of the pipe should curve so that the end faces forward, and it should be rotated so that it is straight up or slightly leaning to the middle of the car. I see that Solo's slightly lean inward.

Then there's the install. Does the exhaust have to be cut open? If so, I can't imagine that no gases flow into it. The staff said the exhaust will have a hole, but looking back he might have been referring to the attachment pipe. He also said they are always cold to the touch. I'm sure the attachment pipe will be cut to allow the 2.25" pipe on the 3". From there, I don't know what to tell the shop, as there are no official instructions provided. What I do have is a box that the clamps came in, that contains instructions. These must be to tighten the end of the pipe.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The way J-pipes work is:

You need a 90 degree pipe running parallel to the main pipe. Its capped at the end, and its cold because no exhaust goes through it. What it does - it traps sound and bounces it back into your main pipe at the exact opposite frequency of your exhaust. Therefore, it cancels sound.

That being said, its mainly for getting rid of Drone. You need to know exactly what RPM range your drone that you are trying to get rid of is at its worst.

Then, you need to use your RPM to figure out how long the drone-killing tube needs to be. This formula looks complicated, but here it is:

Here's the formula to get the tube length:
((343)/(RPM * 4 * (1/60))) / 4

Just replace RPM with the RPM where drone is at its worst.
Example, the drone is terrible at 2500 RPM: ((343)/(2500 * 4 * (1/60))) / 4 = 0.5145 meters

For drone at 2500 RPM you need to weld a capped exhaust pipe 0.5145 meters in length before your muffler, as perpendicular to your existing pipe as possible (it should look like a T). It's as simple as that. Although it's often called a j tube, it's actually better if it's straight, as the more it bends the more sound bounces back before reaching the full length. The j shape comes from having to fit it in small spaces. If you can't weld, with this number you can tell any exhaust shop what to do.

Reactions: 1968rt

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When you say 90 degrees, does that mean the connection must be perpendicular with the direction of the pipe? Mine fits right before the exhaust hanger where the exhaust starts to bend slightly, maybe it won't make much difference.

I'll try (and I'm ultimately at the mercy of the installer), but it currently leans on body pieces when placed just after the exhaust hanger, where the pipe is perfectly straight.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,015 Posts
Some pics of how their cat back system looks for reference

A Guy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the close-ups, it gives me a good idea of the position.

I must be missing a clamp then. I have 2 pipes but 1 Torca clamp that goes around the connection between the branch pipe and the adjustable pipe.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,811 Posts
A Guy set you up with those pictures! You could take those to your installer and have them copy those. The J-pipes from Solo fit up into the quarter like a champ. It's a fantastic exhaust system.

As far as cutting a hole in your exhaust, they'd have to in order to make the pipes work properly.

Hopefully, they'll figure it out for you. The nice thing is that A Guy posted those pictures and that will give them (and you) and idea of how they should go on and where they should be placed on the pipe.

Good Luck and Please let us know how they turn out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I much appreciate the pictures, and after calling Solo, they are sending another clamp.

Now they sent 4 little metal trapezoids which Jeff from Solo called "gussets" and said they hold the J-pipe to the exhaust. I have no clue where or how they are installed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,015 Posts
Look at the 2nd, and 5th pictures above. They go on either side of the jpipe where it meets the exhaust pipes, one on each side. Closeups below

A Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts