Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've ran a couple of locals who started crap. We're talking trucks and ricers at this point. Nobody's been close, but I think my launch technique sucks. I basically just use the autostick and gun it from low, traction control off, as soon as we start. I have the 3.06 rear, I assume, and probably 470 or more RWHP with the supercharger.

Anyway, I have done some serious spinning or I think I would have walked away from those guys even quicker. I ran a truck on a long asphalt strip behind a warehouse loading dock and must have smoked rubber for 100 yards or more. I have practiced launches there and seen my speed jump to 80 while spinning then back down to 40 when the tires caught traction.

So, how do we launch these things? Punching it and holding on while it spins and slides probably means 16 second 1/4s for this moron.

Also, do they put the 3.06 in all the autostick R/Ts?

·
Registered
864 Posts
come on guy, if you know your making power like that you should know you dont just floor it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come on guy, if you know your making power like that you should know you dont just floor it.

Uh, I ain't the brightest bulb in the lamp. Never had more than 350 HP before and with a clutch at that. Launching was much easier.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you turn the traction control off? Did you consider leaving it turned on and see what happens? Just wondering!!
I turn off traction control for the really cool burnouts. Say, wait a minute.....

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Most likely if you have a supercharger your traction control is off in your tune anyway. Even if you do still have the traction control turned on in the tune it cant stop the wheels from spinning with the supercharger. :) Trust me on that, been there done that. Its not easy keeping 500hp at the wheels to the ground. My best 60ft with the Procharger was 1.91 on street radials. I did that by power braking to 1500rpms and then SLOWLY easing into the throttle so I would be full throttle by 60ft. Here are a couple vids of me in my Procharged SRT8 Charger I had until recently. Might be able to hear how I used the pedal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that was very helpful. The sound did clue me in as to your acceleration technique. Question: why is the second video titled "spinning run"? I didn't hear any wheels spinning, but may have missed something.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Thanks, that was very helpful. The sound did clue me in as to your acceleration technique. Question: why is the second video titled "spinning run"? I didn't hear any wheels spinning, but may have missed something.
When it shifted to 3rd gear it started to spin bad. I had to let out of it and not finish the run.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
2010 Auto's all have 3.06's unless someone change it. The 3.06 is not a posi. With your Maggie you're probally right about 470+ RWHP. What tires are you running?
Try lowering your tires to 22#, do a slight burnout to clean the tires ( with the Maggie you shouldn't need to turn the traction control off to do a burnout) leave the ESP on, put it in auto stick one, power brake 1500 RPM, when your ready to leave, roll into the gas pedal, let it shift itself and hold on. That should give you 12 sec in the 1/4. Once you get used to it try turning the ESP off. I changed the 3.06 out for 3.92's and put MT DR's on just waiting for the track to open to break the 11's. I think everyone with a SC and aren't running slicks are having challenges with traction. I hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When it shifted to 3rd gear it started to spin bad. I had to let out of it and not finish the run.

I did see where you backed off early but could not detect any spinning by sound alone. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2010 What tires are you running?

Thanks. I still have the 18" street radials. My wife has drawn a line in the sand after the supercharger $$$. I fugure that with those tires and the 3.06, I am a candidate for no better than mid/high 12's with a perfected launch. Different tires, higher rear end ratio, maybe high 11s.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Most likely if you have a supercharger your traction control is off in your tune anyway. Even if you do still have the traction control turned on in the tune it cant stop the wheels from spinning with the supercharger. :) Trust me on that, been there done that. Its not easy keeping 500hp at the wheels to the ground. My best 60ft with the Procharger was 1.91 on street radials. I did that by power braking to 1500rpms and then SLOWLY easing into the throttle so I would be full throttle by 60ft. Here are a couple vids of me in my Procharged SRT8 Charger I had until recently. Might be able to hear how I used the pedal.
YouTube - Procharged SRT8 Charger
YouTube - Procharged SRT8 Charger spinning run
So did you use the auto stick? What about us poor souls who don't have a supercharger, ie, how would you handle your Mopar 10?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Yeah, I use autostick but I let it shift itself. With my Mopar 10 auto I did NO burnout. Just a few dry hops to get the tires clean, 1500rpm brake launch and by less than 5-10 feet I was full throttle. ESP was fully OFF. I find it shifts a bit better with the ESP off. Track prep helps a bunch. Unfortuneately the track was not prepped AT ALL this last time I went. They scraped the track a few days before and didnt get a chance to prep it or do any runs on it bacause of rain.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would like to know how to launch as a non supercharged R/T auto owner. I've never had a car with half this much power, and all I know to do is take my foot off the brake and floor it. That has worked in streetlight races against Mustangs, but I'd imagine there's a better way to launch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Without Drag Radials at the track ... your going to be stuck with easy shoulder roll technique launches. On the street even with DOT DR's your going to spin if you punch it and if your not careful punch yourself right into LIMP MODE. Which can be darn right embarrassing off a stop light or at the track ..

The best aid ... is the 0-60 timer which you can use to practice launching and try to get consistent lowest 0-60 times even with street tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts