Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to permanently disable the alarm system? I've never been a fan of them and never knew anyone whose alarm went off due to an actual theft attempt. To me, all they are is obnoxious. I've had mine go off when I got into the car and the steering wheel hit my pocket with the FOB in it. I've had mine go off several times after driving, shut off engine, open door, hit trunk release button and when I opened the trunk which was already popped, the alarm goes off. So, I'd be fine with the useless thing completely disabled.

·
Premium Member
9,374 Posts
That's interesting, in my 5 years of ownership and being around others with the same car never heard any one of them go off. I'd imagine the dealer would have to hook it to their computer to alter the settings.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Here is a concern I would have. This is just my thinking, (That poor hamster in that wheel in my head). Your insurance company knows it has a factory alarm (By the VIN.) It has that factored into your premium. If your car was stolen and they found out you disabled the alarm, would they cover it? If you disable it yourself now and tell your agent ahead of time, will your premium go up? Maybe, although probably a couple of bucks every six months. But in the even of a theft, at least you know it would be covered.
But as usually I am probably over thinking everything.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a concern I would have. This is just my thinking, (That poor hamster in that wheel in my head). Your insurance company knows it has a factory alarm (By the VIN.) It has that factored into your premium. If your car was stolen and they found out you disabled the alarm, would they cover it? If you disable it yourself now and tell your agent ahead of time, will your premium go up? Maybe, although probably a couple of bucks every six months. But in the even of a theft, at least you know it would be covered.
But as usually I am probably over thinking everything.
My understanding is that it is impossible to hot wire the car. That without the FOB being recognized it will not / cannot be started by any means. Maybe I'm wrong. But if that is the case, the alarm only serves to alert of a break-in of the car and possible contents stolen.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My understanding is that it is impossible to hot wire the car. That without the FOB being recognized it will not / cannot be started by any means. Maybe I'm wrong. But if that is the case, the alarm only serves to alert of a break-in of the car and possible contents stolen.
like I said that poor hamster in that wheel, running in my head when I think... poor little guy I feel bad for him.....

·
Premium Member
9,374 Posts
The insurance company isn't going to test the alarm, the only thing they will make sure is you're not committing fraud by setting the car up to disappear. If they are satisfied that it was stolen then they pay to repair if found or pay out the loss if not recovered in 30 days.

·
Registered
394 Posts
hot wiring modern cars

Being in the cyber security market stealing modern cars are easier then older cars now. I wont say how easy but there are lots of you tube vids and even news stories on how its done(news people are the absolute stupidest people when they air stories that tell average children with nothing but time on their hands how easy it is to steal new cars). It just costs more now for start up hardware(about 30-50$) then a simple jimmy(1$) and some practice. The practice is totally not needed as the cars open up themselves. All you have to do is drive them. That being being said car alarms today are totally useless as the people that would set them off dont know how to drive and the people that know how to steal them wont set them off.
However they are still used by the insurance companies to set premiums. I personally like the little blinky red light as it lets me know the battery is still at least somewhat charged. I also have to say I have not seen any go off on their own except for VW's as they have door latch issues so the computer cant tell if the car is locked or not so those go off on their own. If yours does that when the trunk is opened I would say your trunk latch may be defective as the alarm is wired to senors in the doors, trunk, and hood. If any of those sensors are bad then the alarm will "randomly" go off on its own.

Now that I posted that. I read somewhere I believe that you can actually set the alarm on/off if you have a Tazer. You may want to research that yourself however as I cant validate that statement currently.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being in the cyber security market stealing modern cars are easier then older cars now.Ron
Every time my trunk set it off I didn't go directly to open it after I popped it getting out of the vehicle. It was after a couple minutes. So now I'm wondering if there's a reset after a short amount of time and lifting the lid after that minute or two sets off the alarm even though the trunk is popped open but not lifted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts