Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racer X has posted an informative You Tube video of how to easily remove 276 lbs. from your Challenger and increase its ET by .3 sec. at the track.

Here is the list of weight savings:

Seat Removal- 106 lbs.
Lightweight Battery- 28
Lightweight Bumper Supports- 38
Subs, Carpet Mats and Tire Air Compressor - 25
Drag Wheels- 45
Lightweight Rotors- 14
Mid-muffler Delete- 20

TOTAL= 276 lbs.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think his estimations are a little exaggerated

#1 he doesnt weigh anything for himself to its hard to confirm

#2 yes you can remove the seats but....you still need seats so he is talking about gross weight, not talking about the weight you have to put back in

#3 i have held my mid mufflers in my hand after i chopped them off, they aren’t no 20 lbs lol

Hes got the right idea but take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
Scat Pack mid mufflers weigh 6 lbs ea.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Wouldn't I want to decrease the ET? :D

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
466 Posts
Saw that video. I didn't know about the lightweight bumper supports so thats new. I doubt I'll go as far as getting those though. I don't pay much attention to the weights he gave either because as trippytro said, he didn't actually weigh anything, and I don't put much faith in "I've heard these weigh about ...".

I'm a fan of weight reduction though, and like to have real numbers to know where I started and where I end up. That's why when I take delivery of my 1320, first thing I'm doing is driving straight from the dealer to a scale that's nearby to get the actual starting weight.

Did something like that with my old '97 Dodge Ram. It started around 4450 pounds and I got it down to 3920. But I did some stuff that most people called me crazy for, like when I removed the entire A/C system from it, on a day in August when it was 105 degrees outside!

Reactions: donavantbh

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't understand decreasing weight to run quicker in a street car. put everything back and it slows back down. running for money where a tenth matters I get. I go to the track with DR's in street trim. drop the PSI and it runs what it runs. to me, a more accurate representation of the car's street performance.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
466 Posts
I don't understand decreasing weight to run quicker in a street car. put everything back and it slows back down. running for money where a tenth matters I get.
Simple, I don't put everything back.

Some things yes, like the seats, when needed to be put back in, but most things I take out stays out. Like my Ram I mentioned, it was my daily driver, I just also took it to the track and bracket raced it too. I was single at the time though so I rarely ever drove it with the other seats in. When I got it down to 3920, that was street trim, which happened to be the same as race trim.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Simple, I don't put everything back.

Some things yes, like the seats, when needed to be put back in, but most things I take out stays out. Like my Ram I mentioned, it was my daily driver, I just also took it to the track and bracket raced it too. I was single at the time though so I rarely ever drove it with the other seats in. When I got it down to 3920, that was street trim, which happened to be the same as race trim.
I guess you're different..most will put everything back in.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,418 Posts
I dropped a good amount of weight when I put my R/T on a deliberate diet.
I cannot recall all of the weights, I do recall rear resonators where much heavier than one would expect for a metal box, could have been an easy 20lbs ea.
Rear seat is not that heavy, but combined with hardware, belts, etc it was some 35lbs total if I recall.
Factory front seats are Heavy...if i recall, they were like 60+lbs each. I replaced with dodge viper units on custom tracks which weigh substantially less and ran 4 point belts.
Spare tire & jack (if equipped) was like 60lbs all in, if you have the subwoofer, that is approx half that weight.
Unsprung wieght (wheels, driveshaft) can knock a bit off but small losses there are more beneficial than that same weight, static.
What I would not do, for anything registered for the street is mess with impact/bumper supports..for multiple reasons, insurance/liability post accident being among them.
One would have to work at getting 300#lbs taken off, but its absolutely possible. You have to remember some parts have tp be added back in (like seats) so the true weight loss has to be calculated backwards.
Making the car lighter did have some negatives.
Wheel hop became a serious issue with any tire.
The car began to sit alot higher on stock springs and forced me to install stage 1s just to get back near factory ride hieght. it became (still driven on the street) became noticably squirrelier and I more than once had an issue with front end skid when I had to hard brake in the twistys.

Reactions: trippytro

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts

A Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts