Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have an se and just purchased a chrome fuel door to put on my car. I tried to do the swap but I can't figure out how to remove the stock unit. Can anyone help me with this and how to install the new one? I tried to do a search,but had no luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
I assume you don't have the instructions that normally comes with the new fuel door assembly. Here is what I remember from installing mine:

1. Open the fuel door and remove the cap. Very carefully unscrew the two fasteners securing the existing door. It is awfully close to the paintwork and it would be a shame to slip. If you're worried, tape the area with masking tape.
  2. Remove the fuel door.
  3. Carefully peel back the inner fender liner to gain access to the back side of the remaining fuel door "cup." The liner is made from flexible plastic so don't worry about bending it or breaking it.
  4. Grasp the "cup" from behind and push it outward. It just pops out.
  5. Position the new fuel door assembly (from the outside) and simply snap it into place. There are no screws. Ensure the rubber grommet fits nicely over the fuel tube.
  6. Reposition the fender liner and enjoy your new fuel door. :)

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
741 Posts
you dont even need to go through the liner as it will pop right out
through the front

remove the door,

remove the cap and strap that holds it in place

where the cap hinge was you can squeeze the 2 sides
together and the liner will pop right out.

had mine swapped out in about 5 minutes

·
Registered
102 Posts
I didn't take any pics either. But, I bet you can find the original instructions somewhere online (I tossed my instruction sheet, otherwise I'd scan it in).

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
thos instructions are for the stock rt/srt chrome door, the SE just comes
with a flat door and doesnt have those tabs like that.

to the OP, where do you live? maybe you can get an SE owner that has done it to help you out.

if in central,NJ area let me know and i will give you a hand with it.
Sorry, guess I didn't see you had the SE, I've been on night shift lately and not thinking straight.... I guess. I thought that the asssemby was held in by the cup just like the R/T since the quarter panels are the same. Once you figure it out please post a few pictures of how it mounts so we (I) can see where I went wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I assume you don't have the instructions that normally comes with the new fuel door assembly. Here is what I remember from installing mine:

1. Open the fuel door and remove the cap. Very carefully unscrew the two fasteners securing the existing door. It is awfully close to the paintwork and it would be a shame to slip. If you're worried, tape the area with masking tape.
  2. Remove the fuel door.
  3. Carefully peel back the inner fender liner to gain access to the back side of the remaining fuel door "cup." The liner is made from flexible plastic so don't worry about bending it or breaking it.
  5. Position the new fuel door assembly (from the outside) and simply snap it into place. There are no screws. Ensure the rubber grommet fits nicely over the fuel tube.
Can I assume that this can be reversed with an R/T?

·
Registered
339 Posts
thos instructions are for the stock rt/srt chrome door, the SE just comes
with a flat door and doesnt have those tabs like that.

So does that mean that after removing the body colored door the cup/hinge assembly snaps in place like the R/Ts?

·
Registered
741 Posts
So does that mean that after removing the body colored door the cup/hinge assembly snaps in place like the R/Ts?
yes, once you remove the door and the cup the chrome fuel door
just pops right in.

once you take the flat door with hinge off start to pull the cup where the hinge was either top or bottom and you can work it right off, once it gets about half way it will come right out in your hands.

wish OP was close to me, as i said its 5 minutes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
yes, once you remove the door and the cup the chrome fuel door
just pops right in.

once you take the flat door with hinge off start to pull the cup where the hinge was either top or bottom and you can work it right off, once it gets about half way it will come right out in your hands.

wish OP was close to me, as i said its 5 minutes.
Yeah, OK. That's why I posted the link to the pics I took showing the stock plastic cup with clips and the chrome cap. I was hoping that the clips on the cup were the same since the quarter panels are obviously the same. At least we now know for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

2. Remove the fuel door.
Hi I also have a 2010 dodge challenger se I purchased a chrome fuel door online but it only come with the fuel door there was no other parts or assembly do i need another part or assenbly to install it. I saw some other fuel doors online and some have a cup on them mines does not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts