Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the procedure for removing the plastic cover in the middle of the steering wheel of a 2011 Challenger. I'm talking about what might also be called the airbag/horn cover. I pressed the horn in protest to a driver cutting me off only to find out that the plastic cover now has a nasty crack/split emanating from the Dodge badge right in the center. So sick of the CHEAP quality of so many of our Challenger parts!!!!!

I think from now on if I need to use the horn I will press on the upper portion of that CHEAP PLASTIC piece instead of right in the middle.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Without looking, it sounds like you cracked the airbag cover. This is not a separately serviced part. You will need your airbag replaced. I suggest you have this done professionally.

Doing this wrong could lead to injury, up to and including death. You will also likely need the SRS system reset.

Check to see if your car is part of the airbag recall. If so, you could get one installed for free.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PLEAZZZZZZZE tell me this isn't so! You got to be f-ing kidding me. You mean I have to replace the entire airbag assembly because the CHEAP ASSES at dodge decided to cover it in their cheap plastic!?!
I tell you, after owning a Dodge for the past several years and having the most ridiculous experience with their so called "customer support" I am completely disgusted. I will give them credit, the Challenger is a great product when it comes to styling and to some extent, performance. However, on the quality and customer service aspects....they COMPLETELY FAIL! I have never owned a car with such piss-poor quality/durability as this Challenger. If you are reading this and are perhaps thinking of buying any other brand.... by all means do it. Steer clear of the piss-poor quality that Dodge is offering for the money. You will do better elsewhere...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sorry to hear you don't like your Challenger. I've owned three of them since 2009 and they have all been well built with no problems. But hey, things happen. Perhaps the Challenger isn't the right car for you. I'm sad that you might be leaving the Challenger family. I am surprised that such a cheap poorly made part broke after six years and didn't break sooner. You must have been pretty angry to hit the horn so hard because some inattentive inconsiderate driver pulled in front of you. Didn't they know better than to do that to you?

FYI, your car is part of the airbag recall (2008 to 2014 Challenger). Your cheap ass easily broken horn cover might be replaced at no cost if you call your dealer.

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
I am surprised that such a cheap poorly made part broke after six years and didn't break sooner. You must have been pretty angry to hit the horn so hard because some inattentive inconsiderate driver pulled in front of you. Didn't they know better than to do that to you?
Yeah. I got pissed at my stupid Challenger and kicked the door and it dented. Cheap-a** Dodge garbage.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This car has barely 30,000 miles on it. It has been extremely well cared for exclusively by Dodge and for the most part has only been driven on weekends and occasionally during the week as I have a different "daily driver." It has never been tracked, raced, neglected or abused.
So far I have had to replace a cylinder head, rocker panels, TPM, a high speed cooling fan and numerous interior plastic pieces which have quite literally fallen apart. Add to that a leaky differential, and paint repair as well. Perhaps you are right, my expectations are just a little too high for Dodge.
You have obviously had a different experience than me. I must admit that I wish I had the kind of luck that you have had with your numerous Challengers. Sometimes this is just how it goes.
Yea I am just venting a bit. However, when it comes time for another brand new car purchase, I will make a different choice. Not looking for or expecting perfection, just something better for my hard earned money.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
520 Posts
I think your going to find all car companies have issues it's called buying many parts from different vendors and they sometimes cut corners. Buy hey it's your cash so pls move on and have a nice day. My 15 R/T has had zero issues and drives just as good today as the day I drove it off the lot.

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Well, my sunglass door did break.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You can definitely do it yourself if you are confident. You do have to replace the whole airbag assembly, not just the cover.

If you do it yourself, make sure you leave the negative battery connection undone for at least 5 minutes (it only needs 2 minutes to fully discharge the system).

I attached the service manual info but you may need to enlarge it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
Yeah I have removed probably a dozen airbags out of Challengers in the last 2 years, no big deal if you play it safe. The later ones, '15-'18 are a bit tricky to remove because of the air bag spring that you have to depress from both sides to get it to release from the steering wheel.

I can do the operation in 5 minutes flat now, after waiting for the system to drain from the battery disconnect.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Newoldchallenger... thanks

You can definitely do it yourself if you are confident. You do have to replace the whole airbag assembly, not just the cover.

If you do it yourself, make sure you leave the negative battery connection undone for at least 5 minutes (it only needs 2 minutes to fully discharge the system).

I attached the service manual info but you may need to enlarge it.
Thanks for taking the time to post the service manual info on replacement.I may get some use from that.
Kind regards

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Perhaps trade that thing for a different one.......new one.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
The later ones, '15-'18 are a bit tricky to remove because of the air bag spring that you have to depress from both sides to get it to release from the steering wheel.

No kidding, first time trying to remove the airbag to install aux buttons took over 1/2 hr. I felt like a young boy trying to undo a bra with his left hand, even though he was a righty.

Trying to catch the spring with a poker (seriously you need surgeon precision) to release the spring is a huge PITA!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts