Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My challenger seems to eat gas like cows eat grass. And gas has gone from a rediculous $2.80/gal to a very rediculous $3.05/gal in 5 days. Greedy oil companies...OPEC setting prices. Oh no, not at all, just demand from China and India.

In order to get better milage I've been driving like this and want to know if my efforts will increase fule economy. Instead of starting in 1 I start in 2, go up to 1,500rpm shift to 4 up to 1,500rpm then shift to 6. When downgrade I put it in neutral and coast.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
just use all the gears and slowly accelerate .. I managed 27 mpg mixed driving.. Just trying to see what it was really capable of. the key is to keep effort and rpms low.. by shifting early you increase the effort or load on the engine and decrease mileage.Try adding a little air to your tires too , 36 to 40 lbs. but im paying 3.30 a gallon now and i might complain but , I really dont mind I bought the car, I buy the gas.. I got rid of my honda fit for it..

·
Registered
639 Posts
My challenger seems to eat gas like cows eat grass. And gas has gone from a rediculous $2.80/gal to a very rediculous $3.05/gal in 5 days. Greedy oil companies...OPEC setting prices. Oh no, not at all, just demand from China and India.

In order to get better milage I've been driving like this and want to know if my efforts will increase fule economy. Instead of starting in 1 I start in 2, go up to 1,500rpm shift to 4 up to 1,500rpm then shift to 6. When downgrade I put it in neutral and coast.
First you really don't say what kind of Challenger you have. SRT, R/T or SE. Second, what kind of milage are you actually getting? Lastly if you bought the car new, the window sticker should have gave you and idea of the milage you would be getting, so it shouldn't come as a shock. My car is a 10 R/T sixspeed and I get 17-22 MPG with happy foot. Never have tested it to see what the best milage I can get is.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

I wouldn't do neutral, just have the clutch disengaged. I do this with my 04' Corolla, and it makes a huge difference. Also, use the cruise control A LOT - That's as big of a difference as disengaging the clutch. I don't see a need to start in second, that might actually hurt some MPG. You'll just not be in 1st for very long, in my little 4-banger, I do a 1,2,3, then 5.

Also as part of the coasting, anticipate the lights/stops.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can understand trying to save gas but it's still a big 8 cylinder and I have a real hard time driving it like a granny ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
If you shift ~ 2K rpm for slower driving, and keep things between 1.5 - 2K, you'll keep the in range w/o loading up the engine & driveline.

For highway somewhere in between 2 - 2.5K and upshifting to whatever gear to maintain ~ 1.5k will help.

Its the stop and go and revving up high that will take the MPG down - if you can maintain a steady cruise w/o varying the throttle, thats where the higher MPG numbers can be attained.

My in town will range 15.5 - 17.0 by driving reasonably...but some conditions will bring that down.
Speed limits in my town range from 25 - 40mph and the blocks are short, so its not uncommon to get stuck behind left turn cars, or stoplights.

Traffic and road conditions in my area doesn't lend itself to winding out the engine that much w/o ending up on top of the other car and getting 11MPG in the process would add much to the experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are you saying that it is best to shift in a patter of 1-2-3-4-5-6 while keeping the shifts below the 2rpm range? It is better than shifting 2-4-6 since the car has less load to carry?

When I'm on the highway I set the cruise at 70mph in 6 gear.

BIGGEST PROBLEM...when I'm at a red light and there is a wide open road in front of me and that light turns green IT'S JUST TOO TEMPTING!

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
I shift sequentially...doing those jumps 2>4, etc just don't feel natural/not as quick to shift through as 2>3, etc. and gets out of the prime rpm range for torque...precludes being able to drive smoothly to me...

If doing 70, the peak MPG can get to 26 or so, but additional wind resistance at higher speeds is going to do what it will.

Still - 25 - 28 highway MPG out of a V8 with the kind of power these have is something that I'm impressed with...I remember the 70s cars with "small" V8s might manage 16-17 highway and 11-13 city when they were new...things have improved by a lot since then.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
For a while I have been advocating short-shift accelerations below 2000 rpm as an avenue to fuel economy, but lately, I am inclined to think that sticking to a tight 2000-2500 range with ginger acceleration to get to cruising speed shortly is the real sweet spot for fuel economy. Then stick to the highest gears while at constant speed.

The thing about operating significantly below 2000 rpm while under mild acceleration load is that, while the rpm is low whereas you would expect low fuel flow, the mpg is quite low (as I monitor my realtime scanner)- typically, 9-12 mpg. That is not good for fuel economy, especially if you are holding that state for sustained periods (slowly coming up to your cruising speed in tens of seconds). I know this doesn't apply to you manual-folks, but even running in mds mode in such conditions yields 9-12 mpg, so that leads me to believe that there is just no real fuel economy to be found in this range (unless it is just maintenance power to sustain a constant speed).

So that lead me to realize that might as well stick to 2000-2500 rpm, where you may use a bit more gas, but it will be for a significantly shorter period of time (to reach your constant speed target). Then you can eek out all sorts of mpg goodness as you doddle along in 5th or 6th, once past your acceleration stage.

Also, I'm grooving to how well this Union 76 gas is working in my car. ;) I actually went down to 87 oct for my last fill-up, as the weather got "cold" here in CA. I expected it would drink the fuel notably quicker, after spending the past few months with supreme and mid-grade, but it seems to be holding firm. With the newly adapted acceleration @ 2000-2500 rpm edict described above, I think I managed to get 2 extra "days" out of it compared to when I projected I would need to fill-up. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can increase mine by 2-3 if I shift 1-3-5 at 1500 RPM during city or mixed driving

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Lastly if you bought the car new, the window sticker should have gave you and idea of the milage you would be getting, so it shouldn't come as a shock.
....I believe this is the heart of the issue here. Call it brutal honesty but if I were that concerned about mileage, I certainly wouldn't have bought this kind of car to begin with. Also, gas prices have historically fluctuated (wildly at times) depending on a number of factors. ....that should be no surprise either.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The trend is for higher crude oil and gasoline prices. Main culprit is huge increases in demand from emerging markets, most notably China. Looks like new car sales in China for 2010 will be around 18 million, which tops the 17.4 million record for the US. And just about all of those 18 million cars are replacing bicycles instead of old cars. Not hard to figure what that will do to the price of oil & derivative products like gasoline.

2010/12/10 05:43 - China New-Car Sales To Break Global Record In '10

·
Registered
864 Posts
just use all the gears and slowly accelerate .. I managed 27 mpg mixed driving.. Just trying to see what it was really capable of. the key is to keep effort and rpms low.. by shifting early you increase the effort or load on the engine and decrease mileage.Try adding a little air to your tires too , 36 to 40 lbs. but im paying 3.30 a gallon now and i might complain but , I really dont mind I bought the car, I buy the gas.. I got rid of my honda fit for it..
#
$3.30 a gallon?! whats up with that, your only like 15 mins from me? im at about $2.80

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
I paid $2.45 today but that was with a lowes food center discount, list was $2.75.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
So are you saying that it is best to shift in a patter of 1-2-3-4-5-6 while keeping the shifts below the 2rpm range? It is better than shifting 2-4-6 since the car has less load to carry?

When I'm on the highway I set the cruise at 70mph in 6 gear.

BIGGEST PROBLEM...when I'm at a red light and there is a wide open road in front of me and that light turns green IT'S JUST TOO TEMPTING!
123456 best combo and ive tried it both ways..

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if I got 14 mpg... it was a GOOD WEEK, lol.

You bought the car, you knew the engine, you knew you'd have to pay for the gas.

Heck... you got the MANUAL, meaning you wanted the most fun out of it. Why are you suddenly concerned about mpg?

That said, 69 mph in 6th gear with cruise control gets me a consistent 28+ mpg on the highway. Can you really complain about that given the power and weight?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you kidding? If you can't drive it like you stole it then you bought the wrong vehicle. You could always call the Auto Club and have it flat bed from point A to B OR shift it into neutral while going downhill and hope your speed gets you up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts