Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I did some searching and found some threads on shifting smoothly, but nothing that answered my question.

So, it's been a few years since I drove a stick, and I've had my R/T for about a month now. I can shift smooth as butter when taking it easy. I can handle the hill start assist. I can even double clutch while transitioning into a sweeping curve. Not a prob.

What I cannot seem to do smoothly is a flat out, WOT run, shifting smoothly. Seem to slam it into gears and it's like whiplash as a I try to upshift. What am I doing wrong? not staying in the throttle? Too abrupt off the clutch? I would love some advice. Don't want to go to the track and run in the 15s looking like an idiot....

·
Registered
40 Posts
its just a no lift shift. hand eye coordination mostly. After you have it floored in first, keep your foot flat to the floor, then as you approach your shift point, WHILE KEEPING THE ACCELERATOR ON THE FLOOR, stab the clutch, and rip the shifter into the next gear. Hard on parts, but super fast. Keeps me out in front of old guys in camaro SS's and 5.0s that are too chicken to do it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have yet to drive a new 6 speed Challenger (I am patiently awaiting the production of my GWE Classic I ordered March 9th....)however I have been full throttle shifting my '72 Demon 340 for over 25 years-I am hoping it will work the same way in the new car-In the Demon here is what I do:
Once out of the hole and with it floored, you can actually start to pre-load the shifter; about 4500 rpm is when I start pulling back on the stick(as long as it is under load from the engine it will not come out of gear) at 6000 I just stab the clutch and back comes the shifter into 2nd-then I start pushing the stick towards the passenger fender and repeat for 3rd, pull back for 4th etc-my rev limiter is set at 6300 and usually I will barely graze it between shifts. You can practice at lower RPM's which will end up with catchin' big 2nd gear rubber-raise the RPM's once you have gotten more comfortable with it! :)

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I'll try this out. When I get my car back from the shop...

·
Registered
714 Posts
What I cannot seem to do smoothly is a flat out, WOT run, shifting smoothly. Seem to slam it into gears and it's like whiplash as a I try to upshift. What am I doing wrong? not staying in the throttle? Too abrupt off the clutch? I would love some advice. Don't want to go to the track and run in the 15s looking like an idiot....
Pretty much both, gas too early, or gas too late, clutch too abrupt, practice practice :d

·
Registered
451 Posts
Step 1, get a hurst shifter installed...ASAP. I took mine to the track several times with the stock shifter and missed the 2-3 shift around 25% of the time. COme to find out, the factory shifter has a plastic bushing that flexes a lot when shifting hard, this allows it to move enough to miss the shift.

Since installing the hurst, I have not missed a single shift.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For full power upshifts you must match the speed of the engine to the speed of the car. I'm not talking about "speed shifting" (more on that in a minute). Don't try to do your full power upshifts as quickly as possible; slow them down a little bit until you get the feel for them. Smooth full power upshifts will come with practice. And as far as "speed shifting?" I recommend that before you try any of that, you take your car somewhere and have it put on a lift. Walk under the car and look at the transmission (have someone show you if you're not sure where to look). It's a large unit, and it looks expensive because it is expensive. Now, just imagine "blowing" a speed shift, and putting your engine's full power to expensive gears that are not quite fully meshed. You'll tear the guts out of your expensive transmission in one stupid move. Like they always used to say: "Speed costs money; how fast do you want to go?"

DougT

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
I have yet to drive a new 6 speed Challenger (I am patiently awaiting the production of my GWE Classic I ordered March 9th....)however I have been full throttle shifting my '72 Demon 340 for over 25 years-I am hoping it will work the same way in the new car-In the Demon here is what I do:
Once out of the hole and with it floored, you can actually start to pre-load the shifter; about 4500 rpm is when I start pulling back on the stick(as long as it is under load from the engine it will not come out of gear) at 6000 I just stab the clutch and back comes the shifter into 2nd-then I start pushing the stick towards the passenger fender and repeat for 3rd, pull back for 4th etc-my rev limiter is set at 6300 and usually I will barely graze it between shifts. You can practice at lower RPM's which will end up with catchin' big 2nd gear rubber-raise the RPM's once you have gotten more comfortable with it! :)
I'm with you Dmn except I hadn't done it in over 25 years until I purchased mine ! This vid is with my Hurst in an SRT but the stocker worked just fine too. You can see my my forearm flex a little during the 1-2 preload as you call it (and I pull the stick to just outside my right hip) and then the right elbow draws in for the 2-3 so I can shove it similarly towards passenger fender as you do but with me it's more like a foot left of passenger headlight lol ! Once newbies realize the shifters gate will not let you "miss" the gear confidence rises as does your shift time. "Misses" will come when drivers really start to get the hang of it meaning shallow clutch stab and immediate release. The miss isn't because the shifter is in the wrong path or place it's because it didn't make it in prior to clutch release. Timing is everything and yup.....practice is the only way. Fun starts here about 1:30.....that's a little wheel hop in 2&3 so I'm off it after the shifting practice ends !

·
Registered
186 Posts
Walk under the car and look at the transmission (have someone show you if you're not sure where to look). It's a large unit, and it looks expensive because it is expensive. Now, just imagine "blowing" a speed shift, and putting your engine's full power to expensive gears that are not quite fully meshed.
DougT
Good advice! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nearly Blew Up the Challenger!!!

This was scary. I was just cruising around, slow rolling in the Challenger, and I saw this Highland Green Mustang Bullitt. Not even sure what happened, but I felt the primal urge to chase it down.

So, Frank (the driver of the Mustang) starts to run. I give chase, and start speed shifting. I was nailing the shifts (thanks for the advice and vids!) and we were neck and neck.

And then it ALMOST happened. I almost ran off the road and into a gas station. Scary.

I talked to my therapist about what happened, and he told me I was suffering from a unique condition, that is usually only found in Charger owners.

In any case, I sure was shifting great! I guess I just needed the proper motivation....

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyway, I have no intention of going out and speed shifting any time soon. I just need to do a little better at matching my revs and shifting smoothly under moderate to hard acceleration.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
726 Posts
You should have beaten him soundly. I traded my Highland Green Bullitt for my first Challenger. And yes I do have black leather gloves just in case!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts