Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went in for my first oil change last month, and part of me thinks the Dodge dealership is trying to screw with me and only used conventional. I highly distrust these dealerships and want to make sure that my car was serviced as indicated.

Is there any simple test to check and see if my oil is actually Mobil 1 synthetic?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The dealership I got my car at doesn't even sell Mobil 1 any more. I have to take it with me to the dealership when I get it changed. I guess they could just be taking home my good oil and putting in whatever they want.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
All oils, because they are considered hazardous waste, have an MDS sheet that you can review and see exactly what the product is made of. For Mobil oils, see: Product Data Sheet Library

Just insert the product name, i.e. Mobil 1, and find the exact Mobil 1 oil that you want to use (cuz there are a lot of them), then review its data sheet. Not all Mobil 1 oil is synthetic, some of them are like 60/40 splits with conventional oil. For example, the extended mileage oils usually have a high quantity of zinc in them mixed with conventional oil and some synthetic.

If your curious, change the country, and then do the search again. In the UK, I'm pretty sure if it says "synthetic" on the label then it has to be 100% synthetic. Here in the US, it only has to contain a certain amount of synthetic oil for the whole product to be allowed to be called synthetic.

BTW: Around the time Chrysler filed for bankruptcy, their contract with Mobil ended. My dealer began carrying Pennzoil instead after that.

Speedy here on the board can give you the name of company that will test the oil for you if you want to pay the testing fee. I don't think it's very expensive.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
As state above, the only way to tell, is to send it for analysis. It's a lot easier to identify the oils if they're clean.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I dont think I would take my car to a dealer that I felt that way about. Find someone you can trust and use them. I change my own but if not thats what I'd do.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Drain a little bit out and put it in the freezer overnight.
If it pours like thick gear lube its conventional.
If it pours easy and fast, synthetic.

Brad

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Now that is clever!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Simple, drink 2 cups full.

If you die then it was not synthetic .
If you live for 3 days or longer and go blind, then it was synthetic.

If you live, but grow 2 or more digits on your left hand and have horrible gout, then it was a synthetic/conventional blend.. probably 40/60 depending on the length of the new digits. (in favor of the synthetic of course.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it worries you what kind of oil they are using , then why not change it yourself so you know whats in it !!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Seems a bit drastic. A better solution would be to mix the oil with blinker fluid at about 50/50 ratio. If the oil floats above the blinker fluid it's synthetic, if the blinker fluid is on top, you got yourself dino oil.

Simple, drink 2 cups full.

If you die then it was not synthetic .
If you live for 3 days or longer and go blind, then it was synthetic.

If you live, but grow 2 or more digits on your left hand and have horrible gout, then it was a synthetic/conventional blend.. probably 40/60 depending on the length of the new digits. (in favor of the synthetic of course.)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Since this is your first oil change, and you have an R/T, I believe they are right. I think the SRT's were the only ones that got full synthetic. Mines listed right on the oil cap.

It's somewhere on this forum. Should also be in your owners manual as well.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since this is your first oil change, and you have an R/T, I believe they are right. I think the SRT's were the only ones that got full synthetic. Mines listed right on the oil cap.

It's somewhere on this forum. Should also be in your owners manual as well.
I specifically got a plan for the 3 years free oil changes. They made me a deal (which I have in writing) which lets me get free oil changes WITH synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So I went in for my first oil change last month, and part of me thinks the Dodge dealership is trying to screw with me and only used conventional. I highly distrust these dealerships and want to make sure that my car was serviced as indicated.

Is there any simple test to check and see if my oil is actually Mobil 1 synthetic?

Thank you!
Unless you actually watch them, you'll never know. All you can do is trust they are giving you what you paid for. On the next change, just wander back to your car while it's being worked on and ask to see what syn oil they are using.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts