Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a set of Nitto 420V's on my 2016 SRT 392 for about 1.5 years now, and about 30,000 miles. The traction seems to be about 70-80% equivalent to what it used to be, although it doesn't have much from a hard launch. I'm curious if it's getting close to time to replace them, partly for safety reasons and partly in hopes that I can get some better tires 馃榿 I'm hoping the Atturo AZ850's will perform better and last a while? Or perhaps I should spring for the Firehawk Indy 500's for a little more money?

Anyways, aside from tread wear, how do you tell if it's time to replace the rubber? I've attached pictures of my left front and left rear tire. I'd estimate the rear tires have around 1/8-3/16" tread left based on my finger measurement there.

Left Front:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Left Rear:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
Called bald as hell

Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
A tire is due to be replaced if it shows any signs of tread separation, cracking or other physical defects, uneven wear. In this case after new tires are fitted an alignment is called for.

For high performance tires 6 years old is considered past the replacement date.

More subjective is if the tire no longer performs to some satisfactory level.

With one car even if the tires had tread left, and were not 6 years old, all the heat cycling had caused the tires to harden.

I had not realized how bad this could get. My SOP with this car was to replace the rear tires every 20K miles or thereabouts. At this mileage the rear tires were down to the wear bars. But the front tires had plenty of tread left. The next time it was time to replace the rear tires I'd replace the fronts even though they had tread life left. Oh, this car came from the factory with staggered front and rear wheels/tires so tire rotation was not possible.

In one case I elected to not replace the front tires with approx. 40K miles on them. But after a few K miles the front tires were giving signs they were no good. Slippery. Noisy as all heck. Tramlining like crazy. Just junk. So even though the wear was not to the wear bars and otherwise the tires were ok, they were clearly not up to par.

Registered
A tire is due to be replaced if it shows any signs of tread separation, cracking or other physical defects, uneven wear. In this case after new tires are fitted an alignment is called for.

For high performance tires 6 years old is considered past the replacement date.

More subjective is if the tire no longer performs to some satisfactory level.

With one car even if the tires had tread left, and were not 6 years old, all the heat cycling had caused the tires to harden.

I had not realized how bad this could get. My SOP with this car was to replace the rear tires every 20K miles or thereabouts. At this mileage the rear tires were down to the wear bars. But the front tires had plenty of tread left. The next time it was time to replace the rear tires I'd replace the fronts even though they had tread life left. Oh, this car came from the factory with staggered front and rear wheels/tires so tire rotation was not possible.

In one case I elected to not replace the front tires with approx. 40K miles on them. But after a few K miles the front tires were giving signs they were no good. Slippery. Noisy as all heck. Tramlining like crazy. Just junk. So even though the wear was not to the wear bars and otherwise the tires were ok, they were clearly not up to par.
All very valid points . I agree with all of the above. Tires & brakes are 2 things u should never take lightly. It's like walking across a really bad off bridge just because u want to save time. Smh yeah I'm good ill take the long way on that. I like excitement but that's just gambling with your life knowing that some one stacked the deck not in your favor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All very valid points . I agree with all of the above. Tires & brakes are 2 things u should never take lightly. It's like walking across a really bad off bridge just because u want to save time. Smh yeah I'm good ill take the long way on that. I like excitement but that's just gambling with your life knowing that some one stacked the deck not in your favor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for reminding me about the brakes, I should definitely check my pads. I replaced them about 25-30k ago

1 - 7 of 7 Posts