Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do we turn off those daytime running lights (DRL)? I hated those on the when Chevy started doing it and really hate it on my Challenger and can't figure out how to turn them off.

I'd be OK with just the white halo's, but want no part of the yellow ones too. Would prefer nothing.

Help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I turned on my DRLs the dealer had me sign a notice that there was no way to turn them off without replacing a very expensive computer part. I don't remember what it was but I just remember the notice said it wanted to be sure I understood that. They didn't want me to come back later and say 'Well, you never told me that.'

They explained that the DRLs are required in Canada and that Dodge did not want to provide a way to turn them off. So...

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
The DRL's (bright ambers) are controlled thru your radio settings...
The Halos I don't think there is any way to turn them off.

1412524397253.jpg
1412524414156.jpg
1412524431625.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
DRL'S

How do we turn off those daytime running lights (DRL)? I hated those on the when Chevy started doing it and really hate it on my Challenger and can't figure out how to turn them off.

I'd be OK with just the white halo's, but want no part of the yellow ones too. Would prefer nothing.

Help!
Do you live in Canada or is your's a2015?

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
On the 5.0 radio I think was on Settings, the 8.4 should be similar and the procedure should be in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's actually not in the owners manual. Not the paper one anyway.

On the 8.4 head unit, one of the buttons is named SETTINGS. And then under settings there's a lighting selection.

·
Registered
828 Posts
When I turned on my DRLs the dealer had me sign a notice that there was no way to turn them off without replacing a very expensive computer part. I don't remember what it was but I just remember the notice said it wanted to be sure I understood that. They didn't want me to come back later and say 'Well, you never told me that.'

They explained that the DRLs are required in Canada and that Dodge did not want to provide a way to turn them off. So...
That's BS.... I've turned mine on and then off then on again with no problems, the dealer just has to have the right scan tool to toggle it on/off. I guess it could be different if you live in Canada???

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just tried looking for this in two different '15 Challengers. On the 8.4" uConnect, there is no option for DRLs under Settings>Lights. Both are SXTs, in Canada.

I'll look for it on an R/T / SRT when I come across one.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
For Canadian spec cars there is probably no way to turn them off since they are required by law; the US cars can absolutely turn the DRL's off easily through the radio settings.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For Canadian spec cars there is probably no way to turn them off since they are required by law; the US cars can absolutely turn the DRL's off easily through the radio settings.
We were actually trying to get them to turn ON. We're going to double-check tomorrow.

The DRLs on the one car we were fiddling with appeared to be the white halos, not the amber rings.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Got it all figured out - you cannot disable the amber DRLs on Canadian cars via UConnect, and they come on under engine on and in-gear conditions.

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
131 Posts
So the settings only turn on/off the ambers? What about turning the DRL halo's off? Or do those always stay on? Anyway to turn the halo's off in daytime?

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK, thanks. On my 2007 C6 Vette, I had to build a switchbox with switches & heatsinks to turn those DRL's off. It was a learning experience but a hassle. Won't bother trying doing same on my SXT+.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Got it all figured out - you cannot disable the amber DRLs on Canadian cars via UConnect, and they come on under engine on and in-gear conditions.
Do the DRLs in Canada have to be amber? I know DRLs are required in Canada per law but I would have thought the white halos would have sufficed.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
They do not have to amber by law but don't think the Challenger halos are bright enough to suffice as a legal DRL in Canada so the additional amber is used. The new BMW halos are much brighter and whiter in the daytime, be nice if Challenger brightness could be adjusted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts