Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Halos stay on.....no way to turn them off.
Woo Hoo! Finally figured it out. Look Ma, NO DRL's!

After a lot of trial and error, it turns out the white halo DRL's are controlled by Pin 14 (Front Sidemarkers) on the Headlight Lamp Assembly connectors. Running on only 1 volt this circuit turns on side markers at night (headlights on) or when the parking lamps are on. But in daytime (ie: headlights off and parking lights off), the same circuit supplies 12 volts for the bright DRL's halo's.

By using a mini 15 amp step down buck voltage regulator (inside a small plastic project box) for each side and directing the circuit thru it, reducing the voltage below 5 volts shuts them down completely, yet still supplies enough voltage (1 volt) for the side markers to still work. Luckily, the BCM does not check line sense voltage on the side marker circuit. Thus, everything else on the lighting system continues to operate normally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Woo Hoo! Finally figured it out. Look Ma, NO DRL's!

After a lot of trial and error, it turns out the white halo DRL's are controlled by Pin 14 (Front Sidemarkers) on the Headlight Lamp Assembly connectors. Running on only 1 volt this circuit turns on side markers at night (headlights on) or when the parking lamps are on. But in daytime (ie: headlights off and parking lights off), the same circuit supplies 12 volts for the bright DRL's halo's.

By using a mini 15 amp step down buck voltage regulator (inside a small plastic project box) for each side and directing the circuit thru it, reducing the voltage below 5 volts shuts them down completely, yet still supplies enough voltage (1 volt) for the side markers to still work. Luckily, the BCM does not check line sense voltage on the side marker circuit. Thus, everything else on the lighting system continues to operate normally.
Hi Siffert,

Yes I read this a while ago, and I was going to try this, but unfortunately we have to wire a new set of orange signal lights to the fenders and to the rear of the car, that is connected to the same circuit as the front signal lights, so that messes up the votage totally.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Ever notice how ALL cars now have DRL's? It's a safety feature mandated by the government. Same with stuff like airbags, seat belts, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ever notice how ALL cars now have DRL's? It's a safety feature mandated by the government. Same with stuff like airbags, seat belts, etc.
Yes and we do follow those regulations more so over here in Europe, as a matter of fact since the late 80's many cars have factory DRL's installed. BUT there is s HUGE problem when importing some of threse cars to Europe since many cars from Canada do not have the option to turn off the DRL's through the onboard computer, and since the lights are connected with the orange signallights up front, they are illegal in Europe, since orange DRL's are not legal to use on a European car.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
311 Posts
Yes and we do follow those regulations more so over here in Europe, as a matter of fact since the late 80's many cars have factory DRL's installed. BUT there is s HUGE problem when importing some of threse cars to Europe since many cars from Canada do not have the option to turn off the DRL's through the onboard computer, and since the lights are connected with the orange signallights up front, they are illegal in Europe, since orange DRL's are not legal to use on a European car.
There's always the option of adding "Switchback" bulbs. I didnt care for always seeing the Amber lights as my drl & like the old school look of dual headlights so i installed switchback bulbs that look like a normal headlight and then switch to Amber when receiving a turn signal to them.

Really worked out well for what i wanted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's always the option of adding "Switchback" bulbs. I didnt care for always seeing the Amber lights as my drl & like the old school look of dual headlights so i installed switchback bulbs that look like a normal headlight and then switch to Amber when receiving a turn signal to them.

Really worked out well for what i wanted.
Only problem is that our signal lights that we have to modify to the car is of orange color, and we have to isntall them on the fenders, or on the outer parts of the mirrors, and also install orange signal ligths in the rear of the car (as pictures above), and problem starts when I start the car and engage first and all gears as the car then lights up as a christmas tree, since all orange signal lights are connected from the orange DRL-signal light up front. Even if I installed a white switchback bulb up front, the problem would not dissapear, I need to split that front DRL-signal light circuit somehow or get rid of the DRL circuit one's and for all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok simplest solution to the Canadian DRL problem when you export a 2015-2020 Challenger with Canadian spec's to European Union and Australia, without modifying electrical system in any way - Set light switch on Auto, cover the Automatic Headlight Sensor on the dash (I covered mine with some unnoticeable flat black paint) and you are all set to go, no more orange DRL's, and your car will pass any inspection. Sometimes the cheapest and easiest sollutions are just in front of you nose tip ;)

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
Ok simplest solution to the Canadian DRL problem when you export a 2015-2020 Challenger with Canadian spec's to European Union and Australia, without modifying electrical system in any way - Set light switch on Auto, cover the Automatic Headlight Sensor on the dash (I covered mine with some unnoticeable flat black paint) and you are all set to go, no more orange DRL's, and your car will pass any inspection. Sometimes the cheapest and easiest sollutions are just in front of you nose tip ;)
But then you run ALL exterior lights on the car day or night and not everyone wants that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
But then you run ALL exterior lights on the car day or night and not everyone wants that.

Yes thats true, but in Europe most all cars do anyway so there are no difference, and we have to use the disable/enable function on the display to turn off the DRL's when importing a US spec Challenger, since having them enabled on a US Challenger create identical problem with the orange signal lights being lit at all times. So this ended up being a quick, cheap and functional sollution.

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
I once saw a build sheet for a Canadian car and it said "Headlamp DRL" and thought this was unusual and this car must have had a DRL system other than the orange halos. Since many Export cars start out as Canadian spec it might have been something they did for that particular country. Standard Canadian spec cars as far as I know use the orange halos like the US only they can't be turned off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I once saw a build sheet for a Canadian car and it said "Headlamp DRL" and thought this was unusual and this car must have had a DRL system other than the orange halos. Since many Export cars start out as Canadian spec it might have been something they did for that particular country. Standard Canadian spec cars as far as I know use the orange halos like the US only they can't be turned off.

That is correct, and if you read my post earlier you will see that when we convert our cars in EU and many other other parts of the world, our cars light up as christmas trees when we do not have that configuration in the display that allows for enable/disable DRL's. Most export cars are actually out of the US and not Canada, the only car that was specific built for export was the Gen I and II Dodge vipers, since they had almsot all EU specs already in place from factory, and we just had to install the parts here in EU.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts