Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know what you call it but the feature where the window slides down just a little when you open the door, is there a way to temp disable that? I know that it’s a good idea to leave it, and 99% of the time I don’t have a problem with it, but occasionally I’d like to turn it off. For example, I spent a good few hours detailing the outside of my car, then I moved it into the garage and ended up with some nice water streaks along the bottom half inch of the window.
Also, I’m getting my windows tinted this weekend and I know you’re not supposed to roll the windows down for a while after you get them done.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Nope - no way to disable it. If it's disabled and you close your door with the window up, the window won't seat properly (which is why the feature is there to begin with) - and you may even damage something (not sure?). Without it, these frameless windows don't seal very well and are VERY easy to break into (although, they are probably still pretty easy to).

I remember my old Buick Regals had the frameless windows and you could just pull the top of the window outwards with your fingertips and bet into the car very easily.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the system either. There should be a better way. It's just something to go wrong...

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
967 Posts
No.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s what I figured

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
It will get disabled the next time it sleets real bad and everything has a layer of ice on it. Open the door and the window wont be able to go down like it normally does, thereby preventing the door from being completely shut...at least until the ice melts. Then it will be magically enabled again. ?

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
It will get disabled the next time it sleets real bad and everything has a layer of ice on it. Open the door and the window wont be able to go down like it normally does, thereby preventing the door from being completely shut...at least until the ice melts. Then it will be magically enabled again. ?
Oh man, you stole my answer! Nothing like driving with the window stuck all the way up outside where it should be, and hearing the wind whistle while you drive. My problems are when it rains, then gets below freezing that night. Arrrrgh.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You would think that they could come up with a better way to do frameless windows. It's not just a Dodge thing though, my father-in-laws Mustang is the exact same way, as I'm sure most frameless windows are.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
You would think that they could come up with a better way to do frameless windows. It's not just a Dodge thing though, my father-in-laws Mustang is the exact same way, as I'm sure most frameless windows are.
my brother just bought a 2010 Camaro and they have the same “feature”

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,627 Posts
My 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible was the first car that I had with that feature, it made sense on it, they actually went up into a channel in the roof. My Mercedes SLK did it as well with a folding roof. I guess it helps with sound, and keeping the windows in at 180MPH

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
My 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible was the first car that I had with that feature, it made sense on it, they actually went up into a channel in the roof. My Mercedes SLK did it as well with a folding roof. I guess it helps with sound, and keeping the windows in at 180MPH
it helps a great deal when just shutting the door, if all the other doors are closed and windows up.

something to do with air pressure and such im sure...IDK, im all about the quantum, and as such, regular physics rarely applies to me. :cool:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
If you want first hand experience how sucky it would be if it was disabled...close the door...disconnect the battery...open the door and then try closing it. No bueno.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
If you want first hand experience how sucky it would be if it was disabled...close the door...disconnect the battery...open the door and then try closing it. No bueno.
You left out a couple steps...

1) close door with window all the way up.
2) open trunk and disconnect battery.
3) close trunk.
4) open the door and see what its like without the auto up/down on window.
5) crawl thru back seat and into trunk (with a flashlight) to find and pull the emergency trunk-open latch.

Surely you knew about steps 3 and 5, so why leave them out? Was it because you are a sadist and just wanted to play a cruel joke on @RobsRTplus??

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
You left out a couple steps...

1) close door with window all the way up.
2) open trunk and disconnect battery.
3) close trunk.
4) open the door and see what its like without the auto up/down on window.
5) crawl thru back seat and into trunk (with a flashlight) to find and pull the emergency trunk-open latch.

Surely you knew about steps 3 and 5, so why leave them out? Was it because you are a sadist and just wanted to play a cruel joke on @RobsRTplus??
Some steps folks need to learn on their own...like I did...builds character. :geek:

This is where I learned that one hand rule when working with high voltage electronics. No forks were damaged in the making of this picture.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Some steps folks need to learn on their own...like I did...builds character. :geek:
You sound like you would have let me learn on my own about the dangers of my most useful invention that never got used - the Jacked Up:

You know, I still have both those jacks, maybe I should reconstruct that device and finally take it for a test run...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
You sound like you would have let me learn on my own about the dangers of my most useful invention that never got used - the Jacked Up:

View attachment 979699

You know, I still have both those jacks, maybe I should reconstruct that device and finally take it for a test run...
That is "up" there with the boost caboose. What does it say on the smaller jack..."Wontlast"? Actually in this situation...I would have rolled the dice and used the scissor jack from the trunk.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
That is "up" there with the boost caboose. What does it say on the smaller jack..."Wontlast"? Actually in this situation...I would have rolled the dice and used the scissor jack from the trunk.
I needed to jack that Challenger up more than those homemade ramps got it off the ground, that was the imperus for my ingenuity there...

Luckily for everyone involved, i took a different approach to solving the issue - i cut the ramps just behind where each tire rests at the top, and i added some latches on each side of each ramp to keep the sections together when driving up but allow removal when up as far as it can go.

Now i have no need for the Jacked Up, as i cam just roll the floor lift jack up behind the wheel and lift away!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,627 Posts
... i cut the ramps just behind where each tire rests at the top, and i added some latches on each side of each ramp to keep the sections together when driving up but allow removal when up as far as it can go...
Reminds me of plans for car ramps I had, stacked 2x10s side by side with latched ramps for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Reminds me of plans for car ramps I had, stacked 2x10s side by side with latched ramps for that purpose.
I had considered using 2x10” boards when I built these, but I ended up going with 2x8” instead (although they are actually 9” wide now that I measure them...is there a 2x9”?) in an effort to keep the weight of each ramp down while making sure I could also fit both into the trunk of my Challenger in case I had to take them somewhere else to use (thats actually happened twice, so don’t laugh).

I weighed them at one point, but I’ve since forgotten the exact number...about 25ish lbs each IIRC. They are not so heavy that I can’t pick them up and hang them on the garage wall on some hanging hooks I screwed into the wall studs behind the Sheetrock.

I attached a pic of mine hanging on the wall below. The yellow markup is self-explanatory, and the red markup indicates where the ramps come apart once the tire is in place up on the ramp and the bolts and latches are undone to allow disassembly by pulling rear part straight back and out from front section.

E2545053-6976-4F63-A7F4-42236D03A256.jpeg

Yeah, yeah, I know, they are mighty ugly...but they do their job and do it well, so the looks don’t matter!

Yeah, yeah, I know, that sounds a lot like me...you’re hilarious!! ?

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
All this talk about my ramps, and I had to find a reason to use them...BLAMMO! I have just the task:

I been needing to go through all the power and ground wiring for the amps I have on that rack in the trunk to see if I can reclaim any unnecessarily dropped voltage (dang headlights are flashing now that I have added a 3rd amp, and that ain’t cool when you’re driving a former cop car, unless you like getting arrested for impersonating a peace officer!).

The Ramos are good for this because I’m going to be bent over working in the trunk for a while...well, I was going to be, but not so much now. I backed up onto my ramps, and now the bumper is at my waist instead if at my knees. So any bending I do wont be as bad on my old back since I can kinda rest my torso on the rear bumper when bending over.

Without my ramps, I’d be trying to bend my knees the wrong way, and therefore have to modify my bend and contort my poor old back into strange and painful angles?

(I didn’t need to disassemble the one ramp for this task, but I thought I would so I could take a pic and attach to this conversation.)

6225BAE2-F586-4F1C-B383-93D4C7C2BAE1.jpeg
29DD2F72-055B-468B-A89E-654EE26FC6FF.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts
Encountered this early on with my Boxster. What did was to open the door and gently wiggle the glass while pressing the window lower button. The wiggling broke the glass free from the grip of the ice and the window went down without any drama. Then I closed the door and raised the window all the way up. From them on the glass would drop normally when the door was opened.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts