Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, after reading several posts about TC failure and using auto-stick to help prevent failure I not too clear on how to downshift? I kick the shifter to the /+ to engage to AStick then shift as needed by kickin at proper rpm and there is a rpm limiter just incase I forget......but will it downshift by itself? I also read let it shift in auto then when reaching cruise speed engage the AS /+ to shut off MDS.....as traffic slows will it downshift by itself?
Thanks for the help

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Best way to describe it, is pulling the shifting to the left side (towards the driver) to down shift the car. Move the shifter to the right side (towards the passenger) and you up shift. Moving the shifter either direction (left or right) will take the car out of automatic mode and put it into manual mode (the gear you are in will appear on the LED indicator on the dash, it will change from D to a 1 thru 5). Holding the shifter to the right for a few seconds throws it back into full auto mode (D on LED indicator).

While sitting still and idling, moving the shifter to the left will put the car in 1st gear (manual mode). Still sitting still and in 1st gear, moving the shifter this time to the right will put the car in 2nd gear (manual mode, for mud and snow when you don't want a lot of torque to the rear wheels). You cannot start off in 3rd gear, only 1st or 2nd.

While driving in full auto mode (D on LED indicator), when you move the shifter to the left, the car will down shift and go into manual mode from thereon out until you move the shifter to the right and hold it there for a few seconds or you re-start the car, both of which will put the car back into full auto mode.

While driving in manual mode, you can pre-order a shift. That is to say, you can move the shifter to the right to go from say 1st to 2nd gear but then quickly move the shifter to the right again to pre-order a 3rd gear shift when the RPM's reach a point above stall speed.

The transmission won't let you destroy it. If you attempt to bang it on down to 1st gear while on the freeway doing 70 mph, it's not going to happen. Same for trying to up shift to 5th gear when the car is moving at 5 mph, it's not going to happen. You can only down shift or up shift within a certain RPM range for that gear, else the shift will get ignored.

If you are in the manual mode and say traveling down the freeway in 5th gear and you find yourself having to quickly reduce speed, the car will automatically gear down with you as your speed slows. It won't stay in say 5th gear and let you stall. Likewise, if you are standing still and in 1st gear manual mode and floor it and do not shift into 2nd, then when the car reaches its redline, it will automatically shift into 2nd gear for you, and on up through the gears. The transmission won't let you rev it into infinity and blow the motor. Same while idling, if you attempt to rev the hell out of the car while in neutral, the car will most likely go into limp mode to protect itself.

I hope that clears up some of the mystery. The manual mode is a lot of fun but like anything, it has a learning curve. Don't be afraid to try it and experiment.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
So if I get this right, once you are in auto stick, you essentially don't really need to do any manual shifting on your own, the tranny will do it for you.
Correct?

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
So if I get this right, once you are in auto stick, you essentially don't really need to do any manual shifting on your own, the tranny will do it for you. Correct?
Well, probably not the best way to drive because, while it will shift for you -- it won't shift until the car reaches its redline. You'd be racing around town. Best to shift while in manual mode. Easier on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is good to hear I always wondered about going from 2nd to 3rd while WOT cause from 1-2 by the time you get to 3rd its ready to go to 4th and I tend to lose "fluidity" due to this guess it just takes practice? So just double tap from 1-2 to preload 3rd?

·
Banned
5,768 Posts
So if I get this right, once you are in auto stick, you essentially don't really need to do any manual shifting on your own, the tranny will do it for you.
Correct?
if you have the Sport Button engaged AND you are in manual mode, the car WILL NOT shift itself.

it will bump the rev limiter unless you slap the shifter to the right or pull up on the paddle shifter with your fingers.....

i always go into manual mode in traffic. can't stand how junk this transmission is in traffic.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Depends on if you're in Sport or Track mode. In Track mode, it will hold the RPM, even at redline. In Sport mode, it will shift into the next gear. Not sure if this was added in the 2012s...but I can verify that that's how it works.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
when at the track i use auto stick 1st gear, with esp, mds and everything else shut off. it runs great but you are shifting at the rev limiter that you car is set up for.:icon_cheers: i make the changes above with the predator.:roller: probably not the best way to drive around town.:SM130:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Gonna take it out this weekend and see what trouble I can get into.....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Gonna take it out this weekend and see what trouble I can get into.....
Impossible.......TCM will take care of you. It won't let downshift unless all the right conditions are met.

Get up to about 50 MPH, and try to downshift to 1st. It won't let you.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Great question as my owners manual says something about track mode that pushing the sport button a second time will put it in "track mode" but it doesn't show anything telling you this on the display. I do notice in sport mode sometimes it will not shift until I do it, maybe that is track mode ?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I drive in VERY heavy traffic...

if you have the Sport Button engaged AND you are in manual mode, the car WILL NOT shift itself.

it will bump the rev limiter unless you slap the shifter to the right or pull up on the paddle shifter with your fingers.....

i always go into manual mode in traffic. can't stand how junk this transmission is in traffic.....
....Everyday. I'm glad that I do not have to do these complex tasks. I do it the old fashioned way. Add power, release Clutch and go. This paddle thing sounds like a hassle. ;) I must admit, that I really like driving the 6 speed. I'm happy with this transmission. Best I've had yet.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Great question as my owners manual says something about track mode that pushing the sport button a second time will put it in "track mode" but it doesn't show anything telling you this on the display. I do notice in sport mode sometimes it will not shift until I do it, maybe that is track mode ?
Only SRTs have track mode.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,768 Posts
This paddle thing sounds like a hassle. ;)
if by hassle you mean sitting perfectly still and pulling in with your pointer finger and middle finger, than yes, it's a hassle HAHAHA !!!!

when i get in traffic, i paddle down to the gear. when i pick up speed, i just squeeze the paddle...

super simple.

i would literally want to push my car into the nearest acid pit if i had to stomp on a clutch in traffic every day....

high geared 6-speeds are stupid fun, but in traffic it's a burden....

Reactions: DTru and MrMac

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Just bustin [email protected]

if by hassle you mean sitting perfectly still and pulling in with your pointer finger and middle finger, than yes, it's a hassle HAHAHA !!!!

when i get in traffic, i paddle down to the gear. when i pick up speed, i just squeeze the paddle...

super simple.

i would literally want to push my car into the nearest acid pit if i had to stomp on a clutch in traffic every day....

high geared 6-speeds are stupid fun, but in traffic it's a burden....
My wife had one of those Smart Cars when we lived in Italy. It had a paddle shifter. I tried it a few times. Didn't like it (but I understand/respect it's racing origin). I'm just an old fart who still has a strong leg. I actually dont mind using the clutch in heavy traffic (when I get too old to drive a clutch...I'll throw myself into the acid pit). I really enjoy driving manuals...never had an auto. I also understand why some do not want to deal with them.

·
Banned
5,768 Posts
My wife had one of those Smart Cars when we lived in Italy. It had a paddle shifter. I tried it a few times. Didn't like it (but I understand/respect it's racing origin). I'm just an old fart who still has a strong leg. I actually dont mind using the clutch in heavy traffic. I really enjoy driving manuals...never had an auto. I also understand why some do not want to deal with them.
any future racecar i own will 100% be a 6-speed, no doubt about it.

i just can't have one as a daily driver...

if i didn't have to sit in traffic, i'd never own an auto.....

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Next time...

any future racecar i own will 100% be a 6-speed, no doubt about it.

i just can't have one as a daily driver...

if i didn't have to sit in traffic, i'd never own an auto.....
...You buy a high performance car...I bet it will have 8 gears. I think that is the way things are headed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have an SXT. When in Manual mode, when I need to upshift, should I let go of the gas, upshift, then mash the gas again???? Or just hold the gas the whole time, and upshift as desired???

1 - 20 of 58 Posts