Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've heard about clay bars — professional detailers, body men and your car buddies all talk about how they work. Now use the clay bar everybody wants. Created to remove the particulate debris and contaminants that washing and polishing can't, our exclusive Clay Bar System will remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray. Better yet, our clay bar isn't hazardous to your paint—it's just firm enough to pick up the bad stuff, without being too aggressive. Use Mothers® Clay Bar to get rid of paint fouling grime and pave the way for complete waxing.

Regardless of where you live, your paint's finish is subject to a variety of damaging contaminants. Acid rain, bird droppings, metal particles, brake dust. All of these present a danger to the integrity of your paint.

You may not necessarily see them, but you can definitely feel them.

Mothers® Clay Bar is a great product for getting rid of paint fouling grime.

First, remove the clay bar from its wrapper, then knead and flatten the clay in the palm of your hand.

Starting with a cool, clean surface, spray the Showtime® Instant Detailer liberally in a sweeping motion to lubricate the small area that you're gonna be working on, it's about two square feet.

Lightly glide the clay across the lubricated surface. You may feel an initial resistance, and even hear the contaminants as they're being removed. Now continue this process until the area feels completely smooth, and the clay glides easily.

Now between panels, knead and fold the clay bar back onto itself to refresh the working surface. Always ensure the paint surface is thoroughly lubricated when using clay.

Using a soft microfiber or terry cloth towel, dry off any excess Instant Detailer and move to the next area to be clayed — re-knead the clay bar for each new section to maintain effectiveness.

Though you do not have to wash the vehicle after claying, do plan on re-waxing the finish after using the Clay Bar as it will remove wax.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Picked up my car with only 20 mi. on the odometer and the paint felt like sandpaper.
I did this and WOW! What a difference! I'm a believer. I think I'll do this once a year. You can actually feel the stuff being picked up by the bar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:bigthumb:clayed my car shortly after bringing it home from the dealer. the paint was very rough with invisible road grime. you can't believe the difference it made.:fight:

·
Registered
99 Posts
A few questions for you guys with experience with this:
Does the clay remove any micro-scratches in the clear coat? And I see the instructions say to knead the clay bar onto itself in between sections to keep the working surface fresh, but would you have to change the clay you are using completely at any time during the application? (ie. throw away the clay and get brand new clay to use? Does it become contaminated enough at any time that you would need to do this?) And I would probably be inclined to use waaaayyy to much of the "lubrication" (detailer spray) during application, how wrong would I be if I did this?
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A few questions for you guys with experience with this:
Does the clay remove any micro-scratches in the clear coat? And I see the instructions say to knead the clay bar onto itself in between sections to keep the working surface fresh, but would you have to change the clay you are using completely at any time during the application? (ie. throw away the clay and get brand new clay to use? Does it become contaminated enough at any time that you would need to do this?) And I would probably be inclined to use waaaayyy to much of the "lubrication" (detailer spray) during application, how wrong would I be if I did this?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Claying does not remove any scratches. It just removes contaminants embedded on the paint.

A clay bar depending on the size can do several vehicles but can vary depending on the vehicle. Obviously, if you have an especially dirty paint, it will pick up more debris.

As you work it against the paint after spraying with clay lube, you will feel it working as it picks up debris. Once you finish a section, you can look at it and decide if you want to knead it to expose fresher clay. You can use excess lube. The primary downside is you have extra clay lube to remove so will end up needed more microfiber towels to remove the clay lube.

I usually spray an area, move the clay lightly over the work area, and then apply more pressure.

If you are unsure about it you can just do a test spot to insure you have no marring just in case there is something wrong with your technique. You are not obligated to do it all. You can practice on anything painted....like a tool box.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks Bunky, good info, I like the practice idea...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts