Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all it is time to replace the spark plugs on my srt 09 challenger i am running procharger they recommend once a year i have replaced plugs on other cars before but not on this is it staight forward or is there a certain trick in doing it i know the challengers have aluminum heads and two plugs per cylinder is there any special care we are suppose to take in replacing them. i looked for a how to do on this but did not find one thanks in advance to anyone who responds ps. people who put procharger on said they would do it but i think i can handle it i have changed plugs on other cars before also money is kinda tight for me right now

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but how am i suppose to gap irridium plugs they say you cannot use a regular coin gapper because it could pop of the irridium plating how else can i gap these ngk irridiums thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Some iridium plugs, like DENSOs already come pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap. DENSOs compensate for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. You may have to gap your NGKs, especially if you have any mods (e.g., nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.).

To re-gap your plugs, here are DENSO's instructions:

"Use extreme caution as improper gapping may damage or destroy the Iridium center electrode or porcelain center. To increase the gap size: Step 1 Use needle nose pliers or spark plug gapping tool to bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. To decrease the gap size: Step 1 Use the same method as above, however bend the ground strap down to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts