1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
admins...i decided to move this thread...please delete

thanks

for those who checked the thread...here it is again

reason i ask...i was merging onto a highway in 3rd gear with the speed up pretty good, and some asshat wouldnt switch lanes to allow the oncoming traffic smoothly enter the highway and had to downshift into 2nd gear hard, fast and kinda unexpectedly to get ahead of this idiot. so of course the revs instantly climbed and the clutch was partially engaged and i felt some griding going into second through the shifter. i felt bad cause i normally try to shift at the right RPM so it aint so harsh on it, but there i had no choice. any harm done to the synchros?

so how much abuse can a stock tremec take from stuff like that?

·
Registered
323 Posts
In light of the fact they use that same T6060 [ with different gearing ] in a Viper which has 50% more HP and TQ and they live pretty nicely, I'd say that they will probably withstand far more abuse than you might think. And a lot of those Vipers are modded and raced. The ACRX's are only raced.

--CC

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
The syncros are plastic man. nothing is bullet proof. I sent my tranny to liberty and had the 1100 hp upgrade installed. cost about 2400 bucks but i bet you wont break it. Just a thought. I broke my rear end with the stock tremec 6 speed installed and tranny worked fine. 13 runs on a drag track. ;) dont tell the warranty boys!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The syncros are plastic man. nothing is bullet proof. I sent my tranny to liberty and had the 1100 hp upgrade installed. cost about 2400 bucks but i bet you wont break it. Just a thought. I broke my rear end with the stock tremec 6 speed installed and tranny worked fine. 13 runs on a drag track. ;) dont tell the warranty boys!
damn dude! you revvin that thing up and just letting the clutch fly or something!? :browsmiley: only 13 runs...wow.

·
Registered
574 Posts
"some asshat wouldnt switch lanes to allow the oncoming traffic smoothly enter the highway"

Asshats on the highway have the right-of way according to the uniform traffic code. Those entering the highway must adjust their speed and position to blend with traffic.

The problem in my state is that asshats deliberately speed up to close the spot you are aiming at, so I am always prepared to use that lovely horsepower to rocket ahead of an unsuspecting asshat five cars up the line.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just slow down a bit and merge behind. Now, if they deliberately close the gap, I just drift to the left so I'm almost on the line. Scares them into moving almost every time. Nobody screws with me in the Challenger for some reason. They always stay far away.

I get no respect in my intrepid. They don't realize I'm 6' 3" 260 lbs. I've scared pleanty of asshats when I've gotten out of the Intrepid to have a talkin' with them. Got a 16 year old kid good when he tried to passed me and 6 other card on a double solid blind hill with a car coming head on. He ran me off the road then tried to run. I called the sheriff for a hit an run then blocked the kid in at a bank and waited for them to arrive. The sheriff wouldn't do anything because it must have been a rock hitting the wheel well and there was no damage. His mother showed up and I asked the sheriff to give the kid a good talking to. That'll teach him to disrespect someone in an Intrepid!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Plastic syncros? where? It was my understanding they are bronze and the 2010 and up are bronze with a carbon fiber filler glued inside. These are actually a 3 piece syncro. IMO the strength of a tranny doesn't matter if you are shifting with the clutch partially engaged. If my info is incorrect please let me know. 70...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.