Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my car in a couple weeks.

Will living in my apartment complex be a big issue? I dont want to go to sleep everynight worrying about someone trying to mess with my ****.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Good luck, In my younger years I lived in apartment complexes and no body seemed to respect anyone elses property. I guess it depends on were it is but I wouldn't have my RT in one.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If it's a nice complex you shouldn't have a problem, but if you have a lot of high-school or college drivers or are near a large college/university, I'd be very wary...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Do you have to park on the street or can you park inside the complex. What type of neighborhood is it. Are there generally working people that live there? Or a college party place?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I lived in a condo complex for 7 years with 4 different cars. Never had an issue. The Challenger is a bit on the the chubby side and the spaces are usually tight in those complexes....some worse than others. Just try to make sure you're centered between the lines at least. As for the knuckleheads that enjoy damaging stuff, that can't be avoided unless you have a garage.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Get a car cover at the very least. Might help if you keep it that way. when I lived in Germany had an underground complex I kept my brand new Mini Cooper S Convertible and some punk ass kids sneaked in and broke the badges of a bunk of the cars to include mine...
Needless to say the cops couldn't do crap so I found the kids myself and get the cops to arrest them but still had to get my insurance to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
sleepless nites

There is no way I could park my Challenger in or among a sea of idiots that could care less about dinging your car.:icon_evil:

Good luck !...rent a garage if they have one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yikes, I am paranoid with my car infront of my house. Bought a wireless camera/pvr. 4hrs battery life without supplied power. I would suggest the same.... or one of those wildlife motion cameras that have night vision/motion detection they are pretty inexpensive run on batteries and you can find one to stash it anywhere near your stall.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I live in a condo complex with underground parking and good security. I snagged a parking spot with two spaces between two poles. The Challenger is parked on the diagonal in there and no one gets near her.

My daily driver is parked in a separate spot on the other side of one of the poles.

I would say it really depends on who lives in the building, how well maintained it is, and see if you are able to get two spots together to give yourself some room to breath and not be worried about door dings. As for people doing malicious damage to it that all depends on what area of town you live in and if there is some sort of security. If someone wants to break in and do damage then they will but that is why we have insurance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I live in an apartment and I had a girl parking way to close for comfort so i bought some orange cones and put them between us and she took the hint. Simple and inexpensive hint. I park my girl under covered parking with a cover to keep the birdie bombs off,so buy a cover with the car.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I did it for 2 yrs with my Challenger, and sometimes it can be dicey, especially if there are a lot of "kiddies" around (not quite teenagers, but not toddlers, either)...the kind that sort of wander around all day with no supervision and feel utterly untouchable for any misdeeds they decide to do on any given day.

Ironically, the biggest threat I faced was from the corporate management of the property, altogether...who were complicit in allowing a predatory towing operation onto their property, not so much to regulate unauthorized parking, but to rack-up fees and outright property theft upon its tenants. Outrageous, right?

Typically, you don't have to worry about this sort of a$$hattery when the complex has a private owner. If it is owned/managed by a "business", then watch your back. If the business is named something like Arnel Property Management, then get the F outta Dodge, pronto!

Misadventures-with-Arnel-Management-Company

Google "predatory towing" or "predatory towing CA"

Cinnamon Creek Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Westminster apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

The links I provide are not so much about "stay away from this property in particular" (though, that is still good advice), rather a primer on identifying common elements that may be applicable in the place you might be considering or are at right now. Most importantly as a dead giveaway- ask if the person that authorizes towing (signs the towing release) for the property is an actual person that is onsite and has an actual station in the leasing office. If it is not, and that person is actually a 3rd party (property security vendor, for instance) or some vague contact at a phone number, then watch out. If the leasing office manager disavows any responsibility or knowledge of how/when towing occurs on the property, also watch out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As others have pointed out, it really comes down to whether the specific apartment complex has people that respect property. It may be possible, depending on the complex management (and vacancies), for you to pay a little extra and get two adjacent parking spots so your car has a little breathing room.

That being said, even in a decent complex with generally cool people, there have been a couple times I've been so wedged in I had to use the remote's lower windows function so I could get a little extra room to squeeze into my car!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Worst I had was someone tried to throw an egg at it, but missed short of the rear bumper. There was also a large scratch on the passenger side fender, but I'm not exactly sure when that showed up (so it could have been while it was parked there or could just as well have been while I was parked in town). As for the predatory towing, it was literally taken from me in the dark of the night, out of my own car port, 3 days after I had brought it back from the dealer, because I had not yet acquired a parking sticker for it...no warnings, no "please come to the office to get a tag" note, no note that they had taken the car, just taken.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Sorry buddy but if I were you I would either move,park the car in moms garage or don't buy the car, your gonna get fed. Just saying

·
Super Moderator
14,691 Posts
If I lived in an apartment complex or in the inner-city, I wouldn't have bought a Challenger- too much worrying.

What type of Challenger are you buying? An SE or an R/T?

·
Registered
762 Posts
All I can say is worry worry and do some more worryling. In 1968 I parked my 1968 Shelby Cobra in our covered parking at the apt complex. There were people that admired the car, yet there were those that were jealous. And some that did not like Cops. Which I was one of course. I went out one morning and the antena was broken off. Another day I went out and the car was jacked up and my Cobra whells were gone. I took the hint, and found a secure garage I rented to park it in. Then I drove my Sporster to and from the garage when I needed the car.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well I'll throw my two cents into this. I'm a nuclear contractor
And haven't actually lived at my home (over 1200 miles away) in over 2 years. Ive been living out of various apt complexes with my SRT8 and have had no issues. My car sits right out front of my apartment with my wife's car on the other side and my neighbors on the other. It very much so depends on the complex and neighborhood. My complexes are all generally working folks such myself. It all just depends on where you live.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't worry about it. Sooner or later everyone will get a door ding. If something gets messed up just fix it. If you have a good comprehensive insurance policy with a low deductible you may not even feel the pinch?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts