Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A month ago I posted stating I had transmission problems. It turns out the synchros on my '09 had gone out and needed to be replaced. I have read that there was a common problem with these and figured it would be replaced swiftly. Being in fear that I had a faulty transmission from the factory I opened a complaint with Chrysler to attempt to get a brand new transmission, I figured all they could do was say no, which they did.

I left the complaint open until they fixed my car, which they still havent. After spending many days speaking to the complaints departments supervisor and the dealership, I find out that the one synchro that I need is on back order and nobody knows when "The vendor" will release one to me.

So here I am, out of my challenger for a month now, over the holidays with no hope in sight. The complaint department DID say they would refund my car payment I made for the month of December, but that doesn't put my mind at ease. I want my car back and don't know what to do. I am considering writing the CEO of Chrysler if this continues for 2 more weeks.

At this point I will not be purchasing another Dodge, I am 25 and have owned 3 Mopars and nothing else. This was my first new car and the transmission broke after 1 year, thats horrible, but then to top it off it takes an unacceptable amount of time to repair it, which is a common problem! (or so I have read)

Edit: One other thing, my car has been garage kept, and now I know its sitting out in the parking lot with no sun visor in place, no car cover, and getting weather beaten (luckily no snow here in TX). I really hope they havent in any way damaged my car with the slightest knick or scratch.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I feel your pain man. At 300 miles my car needed a head rebuild and it was in the shop for about 2 weeks, then back to the shop 3 more times after that for bad sensor issues etc.

I kept calling Chrysler and complaining about how my brand new car has spent more time at the stealership than in my own driveway.

After 10 or so apologies, they agreed to refund my first payment, and if my car goes to the shop again for the same issue, (faulty T-stat sensor) then I would qualify for a lemon law and my vehicle would be replaced.

If it's there again by the 1st I'd call and demand another payment refunded, or see if you qualify for the lemon laws

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I think I would at this point be living in their faces until I got a new trans or they bought the car back. Or if I wanted the car bad enough I would be online looking for the part myself and then send them the bill for my time. They can be found their not that rare. Which jerkoff dealer here in SA is screwing you around?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I would at this point be living in their faces until I got a new trans or they bought the car back. Or if I wanted the car bad enough I would be online looking for the part myself and then send them the bill for my time. They can be found their not that rare. Which jerkoff dealer here in SA is screwing you around?
To be fair, I don't feel it is the dealerships fault. Aside from maybe not being proactive enough with their Chrylser overlord. They have been extreamly friendly with me and their mechanics spoke with me on the phone to explain in detail what was wrong with my car. In fact when I called down there, they said I was "the talk of the town" at their dealership. It is Lone Star Dodge on I-35, theres 2 other challengers in there, one with a broken differential. I feel the system is broken at the parts/headquarters division and I have let them know that.

How likely could you get them to trade cars with you on a situation like this? I have considered it but it seems like a rantful pipedream rather than a realistic demand. I don't think this car is considered a lemon just yet.

·
Banned
675 Posts
To be fair, I don't feel it is the dealerships fault. Aside from maybe not being proactive enough with their Chrylser overlord. They have been extreamly friendly with me and their mechanics spoke with me on the phone to explain in detail what was wrong with my car. In fact when I called down there, they said I was "the talk of the town" at their dealership. It is Lone Star Dodge on I-35, theres 2 other challengers in there, one with a broken differential. I feel the system is broken at the parts/headquarters division and I have let them know that.

How likely could you get them to trade cars with you on a situation like this? I have considered it but it seems like a rantful pipedream rather than a realistic demand. I don't think this car is considered a lemon just yet.
They wouldn't trade you one of their cars, you'd have to go through Chrysler for a vehicle replacement

·
Registered
100 Posts
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!! When i bought 2010 R/T Classic the syncro's were also gone with just 7300 miles on the clock! Mine sat at the dealership's shop for a month too, for several weeks all i got was the run around, "it'll be ready tomorrow, it'll be ready tomorrow..." yada yada yada. Supposebly they ordered the wrong parts to begin with, then didn't have a mechanic that knew how to work on it. Had to find special tools, consult with other tech departments, it was a nightmare!! I finnaly got the car back while the weather was in the procces of turning to crap, and only got a week or 2 to drive the car before puttin the car away waiting for clean snow/ice/salt free roads. I tried to get a new transmission out of the deal as well, and of'course the answer was no! Now i still have a slight trans problem, feels like syncro's again, but it's not as bad as it was. I take it as not a Dodge problem, it's a Tremec problem, and the technicians should have a better understanding of how to work on them!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They wouldn't trade you one of their cars, you'd have to go through Chrysler for a vehicle replacement
Alright, then I assume I am talking to the right people since I am working with the supervisor at the complaints department. If they don't remedy this soon, I'll bring it up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!! When i bought 2010 R/T Classic the syncro's were also gone with just 7300 miles on the clock! Mine sat at the dealership's shop for a month too, for several weeks all i got was the run around, "it'll be ready tomorrow, it'll be ready tomorrow..." yada yada yada. Supposebly they ordered the wrong parts to begin with, then didn't have a mechanic that knew how to work on it. Had to find special tools, consult with other tech departments, it was a nightmare!! I finnaly got the car back while the weather was in the procces of turning to crap, and only got a week or 2 to drive the car before puttin the car away waiting for clean snow/ice/salt free roads. I tried to get a new transmission out of the deal as well, and of'course the answer was no! Now i still have a slight trans problem, feels like syncro's again, but it's not as bad as it was. I take it as not a Dodge problem, it's a Tremec problem, and the technicians should have a better understanding of how to work on them!!
Thanks for the response, I am glad I am not alone on this. Dodge told me the part was shipped 3 weeks ago then they told me they made a mistake and that its actually on backorder. I hate to hear what you said about having problems again, thats excatly what I feared. Which is why I wanted a transmission replacement rather than a repair. I guess I'll just get them with the lemon law and get a brand new car after driving this one for 2 years.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the early warning signs of the syncro's going out? I have just under 6000 on mine (in two months lol)
My car had (has) 14,000 miles. There was absoultly no early warning. I went to the bowling ally, and on the drive home I couldnt get it into 4th gear without slamming it. The next day, 2nd gear was having trouble. I guess thats early warning depending on your taste, but personally thats failure at that point. Never noticed a problem before.

UPDATE: I just spoke with the dealership for my daily phone call to them. My part should be here on the 3rd, only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
There are state lemon laws (may or may not apply to you) that apply based on number of days down. I suspect if you spoke with the service manager about that they may offer a trade.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My car had (has) 14,000 miles. There was absoultly no early warning. I went to the bowling ally, and on the drive home I couldnt get it into 4th gear without slamming it. The next day, 2nd gear was having trouble. I guess thats early warning depending on your taste, but personally thats failure at that point. Never noticed a problem before.

UPDATE: I just spoke with the dealership for my daily phone call to them. My part should be here on the 3rd, only time will tell.
Sounds to me like you are gettin the same run around i got!! It sucks, i was doing the call just about daily thing too. Funny, that's where my problem was as well, 4th gear. If i was real gental, and shifted at lower RPM it would be just fine. But get on the gas at all coming out of 3rd and forget it, grind city tryin to get 4th! That problem was fixed, no problems with 4th gear now, 3rd is where i'm having a slight hang up. Feels very "notchy" and there is a quick "gronk" when i shift to 3rd, unless i'm very slow and gental with it. Others on here have expirienced this problem too. As good of a reputation i've alway's heard about with Tremec, i can't believe they've had this many problems. It's not limited to just Chrysler either, i've heard from my buddies in the GM camp that they've had plenty of problems with their new Tremecs as well.

·
Registered
402 Posts

So is the Syncro in the transmission considered part of the "power train" ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Like others said check into your state's lemon laws. I had to go through this once with my wife's Chevy Malibu a few years back. Here in GA they don't do a stright replacement. They pro-rate based on the mileage. They consider 100,000 as life of the vehicle. At least that is the way it was when I went through it back in 97. In my case it was the number of times I took it in for the same issue. I don't remember if it had any kind of prevision for length of time to repair. I would check into it though. If nothing else you start threatening that it may light a fire under thier arse.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds to me like you are gettin the same run around i got!! It sucks, i was doing the call just about daily thing too. Funny, that's where my problem was as well, 4th gear. If i was real gental, and shifted at lower RPM it would be just fine. But get on the gas at all coming out of 3rd and forget it, grind city tryin to get 4th! That problem was fixed, no problems with 4th gear now, 3rd is where i'm having a slight hang up. Feels very "notchy" and there is a quick "gronk" when i shift to 3rd, unless i'm very slow and gental with it. Others on here have expirienced this problem too. As good of a reputation i've alway's heard about with Tremec, i can't believe they've had this many problems. It's not limited to just Chrysler either, i've heard from my buddies in the GM camp that they've had plenty of problems with their new Tremecs as well.
Do you know if they replaced all of your synchros? They are replacing all of mine even tho only a couple for broken.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is the Syncro in the transmission considered part of the "power train" ?
I can only assume so, yes. I am not paying for any of this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like others said check into your state's lemon laws. I had to go through this once with my wife's Chevy Malibu a few years back. Here in GA they don't do a stright replacement. They pro-rate based on the mileage. They consider 100,000 as life of the vehicle. At least that is the way it was when I went through it back in 97. In my case it was the number of times I took it in for the same issue. I don't remember if it had any kind of prevision for length of time to repair. I would check into it though. If nothing else you start threatening that it may light a fire under thier arse.
Thanks, after reading this, I did look it up. Looks like I am not eligible for lemon law based off of the duration of the repair since they gave me a rental car. And I have to take the car in for Synchros a couple more times before its a lemon unfortunatly.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
if i were you i would talk to a lawyer

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I agree ^^^ and at this point, the way for them to be doing business in the best interest of the customer, would be to eat it and buy a new trans for you..............become their worst nightmare

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
No free rental???? What kind of a dealership did you go to.
Tout

1 - 20 of 35 Posts