Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2018 PCP Challenger Scat Pack w/dynamics
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I wanted to see what some of your past experiences at car meets have been like, whether positive or negative. My first challenger club meet and greet went awesome! Pulled up in the new scat pack, and everyone was so friendly! Just constantly admiring each other’s vehicles, talking about mods, specs, just excellent car enthusiast conversations. I’ve heard the complete opposite with other clubs. My buddy in San Antonio drove up in his 5th gen mustang GT with the 3 valve v8 to a mustang meetup, and said it was a total shit show. People just constantly hating on each other’s cars, it just sounded like a pissing contest. Someone actually had the audacity to walk up to my buddy and say “wow, you drove up in that piece of trash? I’d smoke you with my ‘18 GT”. Little did the hater know, that my friend was running a blower, pushing well over 500 whp. Granted his car is a bit of a sleeper, the only giveaways are the boost gauges and the drag tires. He told the guy “run your car not your mouth”, and the hater refused. I just find it sad that so much hate lingers around in car culture. Thankfully the club I roll with has many true car enthusiasts, but what about you guys? Any stories?

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
214 Posts
Wow, that sucks about your friends experience, but I'm also not surprised based on my past experience with mustang owners. I've been out of the game for a while now and will be getting back in once I have my Challenger and have been wondering about the meets too. I had a fear that with the popularity of Challengers it's gotten away from what the Mopar brotherhood always was, so I love hearing your experience about it.

As for my own past experiences, I've only ever gone to mopar meets. Most of them Ram meets, one small Avenger meet a long time ago, and even some organized through another forum. Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a bad experience in one. They've all been awesome with great people and everyone being friendly and helpful. I've been to these meets in Michigan, Detroit, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, El Paso, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. They've all been positive by far. Some meets were at ballparks, some included large caravans of Rams to change venues, some at Hooters, some ended up on the beaches of Galveston doing donuts, some at dragstrips, some at people's actual homes, and even had a mini meet where a few of us drove from Dallas to Ft. Smith, Arkansas to meet up with a forum member who was a suspension tech and did a custom drop on all of our trucks. That was actually an awesome day. Met at his shop. He dropped 3 of our trucks. Hung out at his house, and then in the evening drove out to a dragstrip in Oklahoma and raced. I still remember one race where, he had a Mach 1 mustang (one of the few cool mustang owners of course), let his brother take it down the track against me, and he almost crashed into the wall, but luckily saved it.

Ahh, the memories, you've got me reminiscing about it all now. Last meet I went to was the Avenger one almost 8 years ago no. Can't wait to start going back to them again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. Wow, that sucks about your friends experience, but I'm also not surprised based on my past experience with mustang owners. I've been out of the game for a while now and will be getting back in once I have my Challenger and have been wondering about the meets too. I had a fear that with the popularity of Challengers it's gotten away from what the Mopar brotherhood always was, so I love hearing your experience about it.

As for my own past experiences, I've only ever gone to mopar meets. Most of them Ram meets, one small Avenger meet a long time ago, and even some organized through another forum. Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a bad experience in one. They've all been awesome with great people and everyone being friendly and helpful. I've been to these meets in Michigan, Detroit, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, El Paso, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. They've all been positive by far. Some meets were at ballparks, some included large caravans of Rams to change venues, some at Hooters, some ended up on the beaches of Galveston doing donuts, some at dragstrips, some at people's actual homes, and even had a mini meet where a few of us drove from Dallas to Ft. Smith, Arkansas to meet up with a forum member who was a suspension tech and did a custom drop on all of our trucks. That was actually an awesome day. Met at his shop. He dropped 3 of our trucks. Hung out at his house, and then in the evening drove out to a dragstrip in Oklahoma and raced. I still remember one race where, he had a Mach 1 mustang (one of the few cool mustang owners of course), let his brother take it down the track against me, and he almost crashed into the wall, but luckily saved it.

Ahh, the memories, you've got me reminiscing about it all now. Last meet I went to was the Avenger one almost 8 years ago no. Can't wait to start going back to them again.
    man, it sounds like you’ve rolled with some really chill people. That’s awesome to hear! I know there will always be that one person hating at any meet, but it seems to be more common in certain clubs. I hear a lot of meetups in SoCal have an over abundance of d-bags and haters, but I suppose each situation is different. Best of luck getting back into the meet and greets, I’m sure you will have a fantastic time and meet lots of amazing car enthusiasts as well 👍🏽 Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I don't belong to, nor would I join a club. Most clubs in my area, one my friend is trying to get me to join in particular, are running modded 80's Chevy's and or newer S-10s with LS motors that dyno well over 1000 H.P. at the wheels. Mostly GM cars and a couple Fords but zero Mopars. I am NOT spending crazy money because the slow cars in their club run high 10s when they rent "Quaker City Dragway".

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I was in a car club for about 3 months. At first everyone was nice and friendly etc ( mainly people 60+ ). One meet my friends new RT was parked and a rusty sh++ bucket parks next to him and not known to my friend, until he got home, said rust bucket scratched the hell out of his passenger door. No one cared. Next meet, some 60s convertible parked parked really close to my passenger side. I didn't see anything at the time, but looked at my passenger door when I got home. Sure enough, left a nice mar on it. I left the club after informing club leadership why. No Farks given by the club.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I was the co-host at my last experience (20 years ago) wasn't that great for two reasons. The weather. Because of the first, super low turn out, like 15%. It was an environment where no one knew each other and therefore "trust." No one wanted to pop hoods to show off what they got. Everyone was afraid that of getting their car stolen. It also didn't help that a week before, the main host had his prized (supercharged) car stolen from his driveway - while he and family is in the house. Alpha dog had the Alpha car.

It's goes back to the topic of "how much do you share" over the internet forums.

That would have been a great event because we got speed shops to donate prizes, including a drive, to a buffet to eat.

Interest was over 100, and only about 15+ showed up.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
214 Posts
Surprising to see more bad experiences, but maybe I need to add a few more details to all my good experiences.
First, I've never belonged to a club of any type either.
All the meets I've been to, have been a group of people just trying to organize a get together. These were all started from forums like this one. I don't know the rules about mentioning other forums here, but they were Moparchat, AvengerForumz and DodgeTalk. DT actually had really active Regional Forums where we routinely setup meets.
I think that was a big part of making all my meets so positive and awesome. It was much more personal and most of us already knew each other just from posting on the forums. But this also kept the meets smaller. I think the largest one I've been part of we had about 45 Ram trucks and a couple Dakota's show up.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Surprising to see more bad experiences, but maybe I need to add a few more details to all my good experiences.
First, I've never belonged to a club of any type either.
I will add on the Plus side with many good ones that I attended as a public spectator, rather than a participant. I've been to a few local Mustang and Corvette clubs that looks great, fun, relaxing, and would want to be a part of someday. When it's a "club" people take pride in it. But also there is some cost involve in a club, and that weed a lot of "undesirable" people out. When it's pull from a discussion forum, you get people from all walks of life. And sometimes you just don't know.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
214 Posts
When it's pull from a discussion forum, you get people from all walks of life. And sometimes you just don't know.
True, but my point was that I've never had a bad experience and every meet I've been to has been pulled from a discussion forum. If I had to make a quick guess I'd say I've been part of meet-ups like that a few dozen times at least.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a mixed bag across the board. You’d think a car meet would be the last place you’d get a door ding at. I’d lose it if I saw someone do that to my car, although sometimes it genuinely is an accident, other times people just don’t care. At my car meets, there’s a wide variety of Mopar’s. From base models sxt’s to top of the line Widebody hellcats. In a perfect world, Meet and greets should be a platform where anyone can pull up regardless of what they own and have a good time.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
214 Posts
yeah, the ones I went to with Rams there was always a good mix like that. Didn't matter if someone came in a bare bones 'work' truck with a V6 or an SRT-10. Everyone showed to respect to everyone else and a good time was had.

I wonder if its also a regional thing. We're both in Texas and seems we both have mostly positive experiences. I had the same positive experiences in Michigan too. But I wonder if generally SoCal or the Northeast is different?

Earlier when I mentioned organizing these meets through Regional forums, I do remember that the Texas region was always one of the most active between all the different regions out there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, the ones I went to with Rams there was always a good mix like that. Didn't matter if someone came in a bare bones 'work' truck with a V6 or an SRT-10. Everyone showed to respect to everyone else and a good time was had.

I wonder if its also a regional thing. We're both in Texas and seems we both have mostly positive experiences. I had the same positive experiences in Michigan too. But I wonder if generally SoCal or the Northeast is different?

Earlier when I mentioned organizing these meets through Regional forums, I do remember that the Texas region was always one of the most active between all the different regions out there.
yeah I think it depends on multiple factors: region, the club, and how it was organized. I’m sure there will always be outliers as well, but generally, I think all of these factors come into play.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
I have no desire to join a club especially one based on a brand or certain model of vehicle. I enjoy going to a cruise night or car show full of car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
214 Posts
I have no desire to join a club especially one based on a brand or certain model of vehicle.
Yet you're a member of a forum for a certain model of vehicle. And forums could technically be considered a club. Just an online one until members get together for a meet.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
522 Posts
I've had good experiences at shows and cruise-ins in the Jacksonville area. In fact, I used to think the whole local car scene was very unified until a guy from a nearby club took to a Facebook Local Car Show page to share his opinion that ONLY classic cars should be allowed at shows and cruise-ins. The page owner was out of town when the guy posted so the $%&# storm got a little nasty by the time they returned home. The page owner went into damage control, but the scab was already off of the wound.

I mostly hang around some people that are part of the Jacksonville Area Mopars (JAM.) The group welcomes all types of Mopar products ... Challengers, Chargers, 300s, Rams, Darts, Neons, Jeeps and so on. Some highly modified and some nearly stock. The group is mostly Modern Mopars but there a good handful of Classic Mopars represented as well. And it's a wide range of owners ... men, women, people with their first car, and people who are approaching retirement -- or already there.

Fortunately, not too many egos in the group (there's always one ;) ) and there are no dues. If there's something that needs to be purchased, we pass the hat. The group meets up to roll in together at shows and cruise-ins and does try to give back -- like adopting a classroom to stock with school supplies, putting wreaths on graves at the National Cemetery in Jacksonville, and adopting a family at Christmas to make sure their kids get good "stuff" from Santa.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Yet you're a member of a forum for a certain model of vehicle. And forums could technically be considered a club. Just an online one until members get together for a meet.
This forum is to learn about the car I bought, I can just read, post whatever, ask questions or if I can give whatever guidance I may be able to. This is nothing like a car club.
If you all got together for a meet I wouldn’t participate. I’ve gone to the Chrysler’s at Carlisle for the last 8 years and enjoy the show overall but do not tell any Challenger owner who I am nor do I discuss this forum. I recognize some of the cars owned by members here. I don’t bring my car there either, I bring my Jeep and solely pay to put it on the show field so I have a parking spot, my food and drinks are in there and don’t have a far walk from outside the grounds.
You sure may join whatever you wish, in my many years in the car hobby have just made me want to be just me. I currently own 7 vehicles, I have no allegiance to any brand as I’ve owned them all, I’m on my 49th car.
Plus trucks and motorcycles too.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I have helped start, and quit, 2 car clubs. The first one was ruined by one guy, who shall remain nameless. I found out later he is universally HATED in the Portland car scene. A former Pres of a long time club said this to me: "Want to ruin your car club? Ask blank to join it". He succeeded. Second club was started by one of the few jerks in the first club, who shall remain nameless. Ran it like a little tyrant, had fake FB profiles so he could troll others, even put a tape recorder in his engine bay at car shows. If he heard you talk smack about his junker, he would give you the boot.
AFTER we quit, he started sexually harassing my wife and I. When I presented the evidence to the other Board Members, they said there was nothing they could do, because we are no longer members. What he does on his own time is not of their concern. Wow.

But the one that takes the cake is a once a year event I USED to run, Mopars on the Mountain.When I took over, maybe 2 dozen cars would show. Within 3 years I had it up to almost 200. I even
was able to talk a police officer into blocking traffic, so all 200 cars could drive the 52 miles up to the Johnson Ridge Observatory in one long line. It WAS epic!

So, what happened? A local FIAT 500 car club wanted to join in. However, it was always MUSCLE CARS only, Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth. What did they do? Threatened to create their own cruise, which they had every right to, but scheduled it for the same time and place. They publicly stated they gong to invade my event, because their feelings were hurt. Geez. The negativeness of everything got SO BAD, I cancelled the event!! What did WWMM do? Stole a bunch of pictures, hijacked my now cancelled event, and held it anyways.

Have fun! Car Shows are great, car clubs are exhausting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have helped start, and quit, 2 car clubs. The first one was ruined by one guy, who shall remain nameless. I found out later he is universally HATED in the Portland car scene. A former Pres of a long time club said this to me: "Want to ruin your car club? Ask blank to join it". He succeeded. Second club was started by one of the few jerks in the first club, who shall remain nameless. Ran it like a little tyrant, had fake FB profiles so he could troll others, even put a tape recorder in his engine bay at car shows. If he heard you talk smack about his junker, he would give you the boot.
AFTER we quit, he started sexually harassing my wife and I. When I presented the evidence to the other Board Members, they said there was nothing they could do, because we are no longer members. What he does on his own time is not of their concern. Wow.

But the one that takes the cake is a once a year event I USED to run, Mopars on the Mountain.When I took over, maybe 2 dozen cars would show. Within 3 years I had it up to almost 200. I even
was able to talk a police officer into blocking traffic, so all 200 cars could drive the 52 miles up to the Johnson Ridge Observatory in one long line. It WAS epic!

So, what happened? A local FIAT 500 car club wanted to join in. However, it was always MUSCLE CARS only, Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth. What did they do? Threatened to create their own cruise, which they had every right to, but scheduled it for the same time and place. They publicly stated they gong to invade my event, because their feelings were hurt. Geez. The negativeness of everything got SO BAD, I cancelled the event!! What did WWMM do? Stole a bunch of pictures, hijacked my now cancelled event, and held it anyways.

Have fun! Car Shows are great, car clubs are exhausting.

View attachment 994384

View attachment 994385

View attachment 994386
Wow, it's amazing how pathetic some people are. I never understood why one single person would go out of their way to ruin everyone else's great time. These pictures look incredible though! It looked like an awesome time! Sorry a couple of d-bags had to ruin the event :( I would love to attend something like that. Thank you for sharing your stories!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts