Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Personally I’ve never been a big Ford fan but the new Bronco looks pretty slick. I’d probably never buy one but I like the look of it. Ford did a much better job on that than Chevy did with the Blazer

Reactions: FrostyOwl

·
Registered
416 Posts
It looks absolutely great. They nailed the design for sure. I'm disappointed though at the lack of NA engines. An NA V6 or inline 6 would have been perfect. Why does everything have to come with a turbo? For these things you don't need the high horsepower at high PRM anyway. You want enough torque down low and then as much reliability and low maintenance as you can get for as many miles as possible. Why put in that complex turbo? Just another unnecessary thing that can break.

Reactions: Beemerchef

·
Super Moderator
15,725 Posts
It looks absolutely great. They nailed the design for sure. I'm disappointed though at the lack of NA engines. An NA V6 or inline 6 would have been perfect. Why does everything have to come with a turbo? For these things you don't need the high horsepower at high PRM anyway. You want enough torque down low and then as much reliability and low maintenance as you can get for as many miles as possible. Why put in that complex turbo? Just another unnecessary thing that can break.
Ford has gone big on the Eco-Boost engines - the small(er) displacement has lower C02 emissions - if they're going to sell world-wide this is a factor.

The other part of selling world wide is vehicles are taxed on displacement. Running the smaller engine and the starting curb weight is almost 4,000# so they use turbocharging to get the power output.

I agree the turbochargers are not an item that is going to last the lifespan of the engine - and it won't be cheap to replace the turbo unit.

It was interesting that Ford did three different versions the two door and four door have the retro styling and the Sport will be a more modern version and smaller.

What remains to be seen are what bugs turn up with an new model with new body, harnesses and the like.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Honestly I'm pretty let down. Maybe it's because of all the long build-up for the new bronco. I just hoped it would look more like the old one but it's a non-starter for me.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I like what they are doing with the Bronco(s). There is one Bronco for everyone. Makes me think Ford will just sell under 3 names - Trucks, Mustang and Bronco.

As much as I'm impress with the effort for the Bronco, real effort, I would rather have a Jeep (Wrangler/Gladiator).

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I like the new Broncos. But, if they actually produce the Wrangler Rubicon with the 392 in it...I'm in!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I like the new Broncos. But, if they actually produce the Wrangler Rubicon with the 392 in it...I'm in!
I would say that a 392 wrangler (as bad ass as that would be) probably isn't going to happen. If u think about when they made the trailcat they said that it wasn't safe because the front of the engine was pretty much the front of the jeep. It wasn't safe for a collision. But it is mopar & sticking big engines in small stuff is there MO lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,290 Posts
Can’t recall where I read it, but I read that the Bronco was being introduced officially on......you guessed it, OJ Simpson’s birthday, July 9th, but FoMoCo later changed it to July 13th.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,900 Posts
Honestly I'm pretty let down. Maybe it's because of all the long build-up for the new bronco. I just hoped it would look more like the old one but it's a non-starter for me.
I say (IMHO), the new Bronco looks as close to the original as the Dodge Challenger does to it's original. They are not ever going to make an exact copy of the original Bronco due to the mandated safety requirements and creature comforts demanded by consumers today. The originals btw, are sky-rocketing in price! I like this new version, I may buy one as an alternative to the jeep wrangler (which I do love).

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
429 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,956 Posts
I like it, well the 2 Broncos, not the Bronco Sport. And the BEST THING about them is that they beat the Wrangler in a couple spots, mainly the important spots like breakover angle, and approach/departure angle and ground clearance.
What is good about that is it is mainly from 35" tires. SO, Jeep announced the "concept" (wink wink) Wrangler with 37" tires, AND A 392!!! (isn't capitalism great!)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Can’t recall where I read it, but I read that the Bronco was being introduced officially on......you guessed it, OJ Simpson’s birthday, July 9th, but FoMoCo later changed it to July 13th.
Yes, just like we have the Hyundai Accent instead of the Hyundai Excel, which is forever linked to Rodney King.

·
Super Moderator
15,725 Posts
Personally I’ve never been a big Ford fan but the new Bronco looks pretty slick. I’d probably never buy one but I like the look of it. Ford did a much better job on that than Chevy did with the Blazer
View attachment 998236
Chevrolet just revived a name out of the past and slapped it on there.

The Traverse, Equinox, Trailblazer, Trax were all rehashes of the same ongoing blandness and nobody has fond memories of those models. So a new creation of blandness got gifted with the model name of Blazer...

Its like Chrysler trying to pick a name for the RWD Dodge sedan - and the study groups / surveys for Charger came up with the most name recognition. And that's why we have a four door model named "Charger"

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,956 Posts
Its like Chrysler trying to pick a name for the RWD Dodge sedan - and the study groups / surveys for Charger came up with the most name recognition. And that's why we have a four door model named "Charger"
That, and the fact that after decades of FWD 4cyl and V6, they had a 425hp RWD V8. It fully deserved the Charger name.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts