Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,908 Posts
I believe if there were a 2 door Challenger and a 2 door Charger, they wouldn't sell more cars, the 2 would share sales...likely hastening the demise of both. The Charger doesn't outsell the Challenger due to the name, it's precisely that it IS a 4 door. While one can regret that a 4 door is named Charger, there would not be both a Charger and a Challenger if it were not. Since the Charger came first, there may have never been a Challenger?

A Guy
I believe you are right sir. If it wasn't for the 4-door Charger, we most likely would never have seen a Challenger. But, would we have cared? I mean, if they had built a near faithful replica of the 1968-1970 Charger on a modern chassis in the first place, would the masses have griped for something else? We will never really know. I for one am grateful that Chrysler took a leap of faith and built these machines. For almost 13 years now, I have enjoyed the hell out of these cars!

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,991 Posts
No, if they went by the same years as they used for the Challengers(70,71 or 72), it would be a winner.
So it has nothing to do with being a 4 door, glad you agree, thanks! Just that to use the Charger name, it has to look like not the 1st gen, not the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or current 7th gen, but only the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
So it has nothing to do with being a 4 door, glad you agree, thanks! Just that to use the Charger name, it has to look like not the 1st gen, not the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or current 7th gen, but only the 2nd gen.
Not what I said at all but twist if you must. No I don't care about the 4 doors as much as the looks.
If it resembled a retro from a popular era then it would be better is what I said. It resembles nothing now.
I'm sure you wouldn't buy a Challenger if it was retro from when they slapped the name on a Mitsubishi. I know I wouldn't.
Again, to each their own, go buy a Charger if you like it. I don't and they should of gave it its own name IMO.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The only reason the Charger got the green light was the Chevy Impala Police version was going FWD. That left only the Crown Victoria which was long in the tooth with no update insight and rumors of its eventual demise floating around.
Chrysler gambled that they could capture the service fleet vehicle business with the Charger being a new RWD platform. The price point of a car vs a large rwd SUV and it's handling issues made sense; besides no PD was excited to have a fleet of FWD cars.

I think it was 96 or 97 when I started seeing this vehicle pop up for design projects around the PD fleet business the company i worked for was involved in. at least that's what i remember or recall being informed of.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did Ford actually put Goodyear 'Wrangler' tires on the Bronco when they shipped it into the U.S. ? My brother said they had to remove the Goodyear 'Wranglers' from all of teh first production Bronco's and put General or Kumho on them? Did you all hear or read that rumor somewhere?
Surely someone at Ford wasn't that incompetent.? But I did see that movie with Greg Kinear where they finagled the design away from the inventor for the 'delayed wiper ' feature. So you never know.

I had been arguing for years , every chance I got , over on the Jeep forums that the wrangler was one vehicle that screamed for a 5.7 V8. It would SO wake that vehicle up. Chrysler wouldn't be able to make enough of them !
Sometimes my 2016 model Rubicon can't get out of the way of itself with the 3.6.
My old 98 TJ straight six will Kick ass up to about 55, and then levels off, it has the three speed transmission with torque converter lockup. That 4.0 is great for trails moving around slowly and steadily.
Let the market decide. I hate CAFE standards.
Best regards
parrott

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
Does a 1967 Charger Look like a 1975 Charger at all? A LX Charger looks more like a 1969 than a 1967 or 1975 does.
What they should have done was kept the Plymouth names as well, merged with Chrysler dealerships, and sold Barracuda, Satellite, Roadrunners, with nothing more than emblems/stickers differences.
As for using Charger, personally I get it, and like it, and love the cars, but not the 11-14 as much in the front. I had an 06, and a 15. The could have called it an Intrepid, since that is what it replaced in the lineup, like the 300 replaced the Concord/LHS/300M. Or if you must use 1970s names, then I guess a Coronet or Monaco, but who would want a Coronet? and they butchered Monaco already with that French crap.
body styles kept changing - if you compare a '70 Charger to a '71 model, the body style changed a lot and lasted through '74 model year and was redesigned for '75 and by that point the Cordoba and Charger were pretty similar to each other and then the Charger model was renamed Magnum.

they were all B-body models

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
body styles kept changing - if you compare a '70 Charger to a '71 model, the body style changed a lot and lasted through '74 model year and was redesigned for '75 and by that point the Cordoba and Charger were pretty similar to each other and then the Charger model was renamed Magnum.

they were all B-body models
I know, I get it, just that people complain that any of the LX Chargers don't look like a Charger, and hell, every Charger generation looks nothing like every other Charger if anything the LX ones are the truest Chargers, they all look more similar over the last 15 years, than any of the previous generations do to each other.
Except for the L Body Chargers, basically Chargers are Muscle/Performance Family Cars, and Challengers are Muscle/Performance Personal Cars.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Broncos and Jeep side by side

A Guy
Cool comparison. The Bronco is just what Jeep needed, competition and reason to improve even more. Customers win!

·
Registered
381 Posts
"How ya'll like the new Bronco ? "

Yawn,

parrott

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
First, assume I wanted to buy a brand new 4x4 for actual occasional off road use. (Only reason for ME to get one)
Would I probably buy one, maybe, maybe not, but they are the ONLY other option I would consider over a Wrangler, so that is saying something. Plus (rumor) they are going to make a pickup like the Gladiator, that I would be interested in, I LOVE the Gladiator, and I would love to buy a 2 door one if they made them.
But everything I like is well into the $50K range, and that is used Hellcat territory.

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
the "pickup" version of the Bronco proposed is like a joke - its the 4 door with a removable top. Its more like the cargo area behind the 2nd row like the Wrangler unlimited - that's not a pickup bed like the Gladiator has.

the other item is going to be - new model (new body / driveline) and what bugs remain to be worked out with that and how it actually drives. They're going to run 4,000 - 4,500 curb weight.

the Wrangler gets some competition and that's probably a good thing. Wranglers aren't known for being great road vehicles, while they'll do well off-road...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
the "pickup" version of the Bronco proposed is like a joke - its the 4 door with a removable top. Its more like the cargo area behind the 2nd row like the Wrangler unlimited - that's not a pickup bed like the Gladiator has.

the other item is going to be - new model (new body / driveline) and what bugs remain to be worked out with that and how it actually drives. They're going to run 4,000 - 4,500 curb weight.

the Wrangler gets some competition and that's probably a good thing. Wranglers aren't known for being great road vehicles, while they'll do well off-road...
I like how the specs on the Bronco are clearly designed to be as good or better then the Wrangler, especially clearance, and approach/breakover/departure angles. Most of that is due to the huge stock 33/35" tires (that have Wrangler removed from the exterior sidewall ;-) ) on the Bronco, so what does FCA do, show off the 392 equipped with 37" tires.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
So I keep seeing the 392 Rubicon in articles - albeit still as a concept. Has anyone seen if there is a chance it will actually be built? I think FCA would be forced to do it if the Bronco sales go through the roof, no?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So I keep seeing the 392 Rubicon in articles - albeit still as a concept. Has anyone seen if there is a chance it will actually be built? I think FCA would be forced to do it if the Bronco sales go through the roof, no?
I believe it was announced that it will be built.
And these specs (if true) are all better than Bronco

Reactions: kstay203

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That not the biggest risk here for Ford but it may explain some of the reason for the long absence of a popular name.

When someone refers to the name plate....... it's 50/50 for me even 20+ years after the now imfamous ride through the streets of LA.

Before OJ. I once immediately thought of Ford's cool little compact off road truck that started the modern SUV trend.

Today, after OJ, the brand is tainted by the MURDER and his final ride before arrest.

Not saying I couldn't buy the car........but the color White is certainly off the list for consideration.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
That not the biggest risk here for Ford but it may explain some of the reason for the long absence of a popular name.

When someone refers to the name plate....... it's 50/50 for me even 20+ years after the now imfamous ride through the streets of LA.

Before OJ. I once immediately thought of Ford's cool little compact off road truck that started the modern SUV trend.

Today, after OJ, the brand is tainted by the MURDER and his final ride before arrest.

Not saying I couldn't buy the car........but the color White is certainly off the list for consideration.
I dont think of OJ at all when i see a Bronco.
Its like saying when i see a blonde i think of OJ.

Id much rather have a Bronco than a Jeep but i wouldnt buy one new as they are just too expensive right now so id wait for them to be used.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts