Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to be the first to post here!

What I'm looking for is a book or web site that I can use to learn how to do my own custom tunes. I'd like to switch to using an HP tuner, but I won't do so unless I can learn how to do it all myself.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
I get to be the first to post here!

What I'm looking for is a book or web site that I can use to learn how to do my own custom tunes. I'd like to switch to using an HP tuner, but I won't do so unless I can learn how to do it all myself.
If you don't have a wideband installed and you plan to tune your maggie yourself I suggest you install one. I too was looking at HP tuner but since I do not race (although my neighbor wants to hit the track with his 72 duster this summer and wants me to go with) I am having a hard time rectifying the need for one.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to learn how to tune. It will be my new hobby. >:)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,725 Posts
I've got a couple of good books on tuning that I'd recommend.

The first one is by Greg Banish and is called Engine Management/Advanced Tuning. Greg Banish uses HP Tuners and knows it well.

The second one is Building and Tuning High Performance Engines by Ben Strader. The benefit for me is that Ben Strader is an EfiLive Guru and that's what I used to tune my old Vette.

You'll find out that HP Tuners is a Very capable program once you learn it. The downside is that it has a steep learning curve to it. My recommendation is that if you learn what each sensor does and how it effects the tune, might make things easier.

Strader owns and runs Efi University too.

Ben Strader book:

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Tuning-High-Performance-Electronic-Injection/dp/1884089798

Greg Banish book:

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Management-Advanced-Greg-Banish/dp/1932494421/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7QKZ2FJMZ1N64A38K4DE

There are a couple more good ones, but they pertain to Vettes and I won't bore you with those. These two are the best ones that I've found.

Best of Luck in your tuning. It can be both frustrating and annoying at times, but also rewarding when you figure it out. There were many times that I was frustrated and had to ask a couple of good friends for advice, but once done, it'll bring a Huge smile to your face and make you proud of yourself. :cheers:

Another good read is some of the posts on this forum from Pector55. He's got a good handle on Mopar tuning and has shared quite a bit of good Mopar tuning advice.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
So I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Level 1 dodge 5.7/6.1/6.4 tuning (my Xmas present) and I must admit I was hoping for more explanation...but I kinda knew this from the Hellcat guys. If you are completely clueless I would say it is worth it but the fueling adjustment portion can be deduced from a handful of threads on the HP tuners forum and the speed density section seems to borrow from the HP tuner help article. I do like how they systematically go through the changes you need for NA, NA cammed or FI tuning and there are modifications they perform that I was not aware of. One thing that puzzled me was my actual and expected torque was way off and there was a section that helped me dial it in. Oh and the sample tuning is based off a 2015 Charger 5.7 RT and the VCM software version is slightly dated.

BTW if you are looking for trans tuning tips...there is very little (I have a manual so no biggie but would like to start tweaking my JGC) and they state in the booklet to refer to a trans tuning course (obviously not available yet).

I think the main reason for the high sticker price is the anti-copy measures they use, as it looks like the booklets are printed on special paper (has some very faint blue lines on all the pages). On the upside, you get 1 year's worth of technical support (need to register and submit ticket requests for help) where you can send your tune/logs and get help if you get stuck tweaking your tune (probable another reason for the cost).

In all I am happy with the purchase but would feel like I was getting a deal if it were priced at $250. It did confirm that what I learned from hours of web surfing was correct and worth it. Oh and I did find several typos throughout the booklets.

Hope the Tuning School keeps it up!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Level 1 dodge 5.7/6.1/6.4 tuning (my Xmas present) and I must admit I was hoping for more explanation...but I kinda knew this from the Hellcat guys. If you are completely clueless I would say it is worth it but the fueling adjustment portion can be deduced from a handful of threads on the HP tuners forum and the speed density section seems to borrow from the HP tuner help article. I do like how they systematically go through the changes you need for NA, NA cammed or FI tuning and there are modifications they perform that I was not aware of. One thing that puzzled me was my actual and expected torque was way off and there was a section that helped me dial it in. Oh and the sample tuning is based off a 2015 Charger 5.7 RT and the VCM software version is slightly dated.

BTW if you are looking for trans tuning tips...there is very little (I have a manual so no biggie but would like to start tweaking my JGC) and they state in the booklet to refer to a trans tuning course (obviously not available yet).

I think the main reason for the high sticker price is the anti-copy measures they use, as it looks like the booklets are printed on special paper (has some very faint blue lines on all the pages). On the upside, you get 1 year's worth of technical support (need to register and submit ticket requests for help) where you can send your tune/logs and get help if you get stuck tweaking your tune (probable another reason for the cost).

In all I am happy with the purchase but would feel like I was getting a deal if it were priced at $250. It did confirm that what I learned from hours of web surfing was correct and worth it. Oh and I did find several typos throughout the booklets.

Hope the Tuning School keeps it up!
Yeah, that $500 price tag turned me right off from getting that. When they finally had their courses on sale, the Dodge course was not on the list...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Yeah, that $500 price tag turned me right off from getting that. When they finally had their courses on sale, the Dodge course was not on the list...
Yeah for the price I could get upgraded valve springs and a HC cam....although I have co-workers spend the same amount of coin on several craft beers. Apparently you get a 5% discount on your first purchase but it does not apply to the course materials.

BTW if you scan try scanning the booklets (I was curious to see why every other page looked different) the word void appears repeatedly on every other page.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
FYI - looks like the course is on sale, $50 off.

BTW I made some changes to my SC tune (left spark, fueling and airflow tables alone) suggested by the tuning school booklet (enabled sensed map, tweaked the torque management, and diagnostic limits). What is weird is the throttle felt more responsive, there is an ever so slight hesitation when I hammer the throttle at idle and the idle hunts. Again fuel, spark and airflow were not changed. I have a suspicion that the sensed map might be the culprit as the booklet shows the pratio setting at 0 for sensed map enabled when I typically see it in other tunes being around 0.8.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
FYI - looks like the course is on sale, $50 off.

BTW I made some changes to my SC tune (left spark, fueling and airflow tables alone) suggested by the tuning school booklet (enabled sensed map, tweaked the torque management, and diagnostic limits). What is weird is the throttle felt more responsive, there is an ever so slight hesitation when I hammer the throttle at idle and the idle hunts. Again fuel, spark and airflow were not changed. I have a suspicion that the sensed map might be the culprit as the booklet shows the pratio setting at 0 for sensed map enabled when I typically see it in other tunes being around 0.8.
Does it explain what sensed map actually does?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Does it explain what sensed map actually does?
No it does not. In fact, in their example tune they actually enable sensed map (measure manifold pressure) and set the pratio to a low value. Most forced induction tunes usually have the pratio set to 0.95 so measured map can be used instead of a value based on calculations during boost. I have tried setting the pratio low and the throttle response feels more connected but I experienced a stumble at ~1500rpms and idling was poor which I suggest the air tables need some tweaking. In short, with sense map disabled the car runs smoother but with it enabled the throttle feels more responsive...probably why most forced induction tunes use sensed map during boost but let the calculated map handle the rest...hence pratio set to 0.95ish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts