Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a few different tuning options and so far DiabloSport and HP Tuners are the ones that majorly stuck out to me. I have a 2015 Challenger R/T 8 Speed Automatic and plan to do extensive modifications to it over time (headers, camshaft, supercharger, and etc.), I am currently leaning toward HP Tuners because I feel like it gives me more freedom to tune when and how I want. With that being said, I know absolutely zero about tuning and after doing a little bit of looking online, it seems highly intimidating but not impossible with all the courses and such. Another reason I am leaning toward HP Tuners is because I'd like to avoid having to buy a tune every time I modify part of my car. Which is what I feel like I'd have to do with DiabloSport. The questions and concerns I have are, has anyone started from the bottom, knowing nothing about tuning and tuned their car? How long did it take? What is the best learning route to go? What are Universal Credits? If I want, can I buy a tune and put it in my car with HP Tuners and tweak over time as needed? Has anyone had issues with HP Tuners? Also does anyone have any tips, tricks and/or advice for me should this be the route that I choose to go?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
You don’t necessarily have to get a new tune every time you add a mod which alters VE when using the DS tuner. The PCM can pick up the slack during non-WOT operation by paying attention to the oxygen sensors. However, at WOT it defaults to open loop and stops listening to the O2 sensors, and that’s where the tune mods are needed to take advantage of the mods.

This can be taken care of by waiting until all the mods are in place and then paying for the custom tune. Or you can make some remedial changes yourself by changing the WOT parameters in the DS tuner’s parameter list.

The s/c is a whole different beast though. You will need a custom tune for it, but if you do it first then you can pick up where I started above.

There’s no question the HP tuner allows more freedom, but as you have discovered there is a lot to learn before being able to make those changes without doing more harm than good.

IMHO, if you do not have lots of free time to devote to learning the skill necessary, HP tuners may be a bridge too far. Kids, school, needy wife? Any or all of those would make it hard to be able to learn what you need to learn to fully use the HP tuner device to its full potential.

One more thing on the email custom tunes you would get with the DS tuner: some custom tuners will allow for a retune with the original price if it’s needed within a certain amount of time (~6-8 months). That would be something to inquire about before deciding on who to with obviously.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely hear what your saying about the learning curve. Just downloaded the Scanner and Editor a while ago to tinker with it a bit and it actually looked like fun. Plus I'm also at a point in my life where I'm not doing anything other than working and buying car parts so I have plenty of time to learn the program and such. Also, while it is rare, I do open up the throttle for fun, especially after installing a new part. Headers are next on my list but from all the research I have done, I will need a tune to run them properly which puts me where I am now. Finding a tuner and making sure I get the right one.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
605 Posts
Here are a couple of differences between DS and HPT that may help your decision making. When logging data with HPT a laptop needs to be connected to ODBII while with DS only the much smaller tuning device needs to be connected. Many using DS flagship T2 tuner (including myself) have reported that they are unable to connect a laptop to a running vehicle so that data can be viewed live using DS Dataviewer. As well it is currently not possible to log wideband AFR using the T2. On the DS forum they have been reporting working on a fix for over a year but recently have stopped replying to requests for fix status.

I went with DS but would go with HPT if I could have a do over. I don't see any disadvantage of having excess capability and ability to view raw tables. With it you have choices, without it your choices are limited.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a couple of differences between DS and HPT that may help your decision making. When logging data with HPT a laptop needs to be connected to ODBII while with DS only the much smaller tuning device needs to be connected. Many using DS flagship T2 tuner (including myself) have reported that they are unable to connect a laptop to a running vehicle so that data can be viewed live using DS Dataviewer. As well it is currently not possible to log wideband AFR using the T2. On the DS forum they have been reporting working on a fix for over a year but recently have stopped replying to requests for fix status.

I went with DS but would go with HPT if I could have a do over. I don't see any disadvantage of having excess capability and ability to view raw tables. With it you have choices, without it your choices are limited.
Well, I have a high end gaming laptop that never gets used for gaming so it has defaulted to a car laptop, might as well make it a car tuning laptop as well. I am curious as to whether or not I can get a tune e-mailed to me and edit it to perfection or just a e-mail tune straight out with HP Tuners? It seems like they have a certain file type for their programs that might make that difficult?

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
175 Posts
I have a high end gaming laptop that never gets used for gaming so it has defaulted to a car laptop, might as well make it a car tuning laptop as well.
Based on your limited experience, I suggest you get an email only tune from a trusted tuner.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
677 Posts
HP Tuners for the win.

You can still purchase custom tunes from many skilled tuners if you don't feel comfortable tuning the car yourself.

Unless you have chosen a tuner that does not work with HP Tuners, there really isn't any reason to choose the Diablo over HP.

Yes, the small handheld from Diablo could be more convenient - when it works properly. You can also purchase a small laptop or tablet like a Surface Go that is 10x more capable and only slightly larger than than the Diablo handheld. Total cost involved could be higher the HPT, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,792 Posts
Yup, HP tuners is where it is at if you plan on doing your own tunes. I use a 10" Fusion 5 windows 10 notebook and it works well with HP tuners. You can also connect via your cellphone and data log some PIDs through trackaddict but hardwired to a laptop/notebook is really the best way to log your tunes. I also use the prolink to monitor fuel pressure and my wide band. IMO wide band is a must when you mess with the power enrichement tables.

FYI - here is a thread I have been storing some tuning tips on HP tuner's site.

I did like my Diablo Trinity but I quickly outgrew it's capabilities.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for all the input. I am definitely going with HP Tuners after all the research I have done. It just seems like the better option for my money because I get more readings and more accurate tuning as I change things on my car. Plus I am looking forward to learning all about tuning.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
605 Posts
Thank you everyone for all the input. I am definitely going with HP Tuners after all the research I have done. It just seems like the better option for my money because I get more readings and more accurate tuning as I change things on my car. Plus I am looking forward to learning all about tuning.
I think you made a wise decision. For a similar investment one can quickly outgrow Diablo or grow into HPT. Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts