Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experiences sending the PCM to hptuners for unlocking, i thought of buying a blank PCM, and send it over HPT, they say they can write a blank PCM and load the factory tune that i'll get from my vehicle. Main question will be whether or not i'll need to take the car to the dealer, after i've plugged that 2nd PCM back ? I have a 2015 Chally scat pack with the M6. I thought of emailing HPT tomorrow morning to find out, but thought to seek first hand experiences first and know what to expect.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
Looking for experiences sending the PCM to hptuners for unlocking, i thought of buying a blank PCM, and send it over HPT, they say they can write a blank PCM and load the factory tune that i'll get from my vehicle. Main question will be whether or not i'll need to take the car to the dealer, after i've plugged that 2nd PCM back ? I have a 2015 Chally scat pack with the M6. I thought of emailing HPT tomorrow morning to find out, but thought to seek first hand experiences first and know what to expect.

Thanks a lot.
Swapping from an unlocked PCM (coded to your Vin#) back to the factory PCM that came with the car (or vice versa) does not require dealership involvement. But I have heard dealerships can determine if the PCM has been swapped as there will be a mileage discrepancy between the odometer and PCM.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I went with Diablosport and swapped my PCM to tune the car. If I were to return to the dealer I would first swap the stock PCM back on just to avoid any issues. They can likely tell if it's been swapped out or not if they really wanted to, but barring some major engine failure I don't think they'll really care.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to HPT and Diablosport this week, and apparently at one point in time, Diablo unlocked PCM's were allowing HPT to program those without any issues, but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore, So, I just ordered a used PCM from ebay tonight for $169, same part# as the one i have on my car, once i get it, i'll send it to HPT, along with my car factory tune and Vin number to get it unlocked and ready to go.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
I talked to HPT and Diablosport this week, and apparently at one point in time, Diablo unlocked PCM's were allowing HPT to program those without any issues, but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore, So, I just ordered a used PCM from ebay tonight for $169, same part# as the one i have on my car, once i get it, i'll send it to HPT, along with my car factory tune and Vin number to get it unlocked and ready to go.
So an unlocked PCM from Diablo will not work with an HPT tuner? That would mean Diablo puts their own lock on the PCM which I thought they don't.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
So an unlocked PCM from Diablo will not work with an HPT tuner? That would mean Diablo puts their own lock on the PCM which I thought they don't.
I know of more than one person that has switched to HPT with a Diablo unlocked PCM with no issues whatsoever. One of them had their PCM at Diablo for VIN assignment less than two months ago, and then switched to HPT and it worked just fine. Like you said, either Diablo just started locking them, or they aren't being completely honest.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I started with a Diablo unlocked PCM and had no problems reading and tuning it with HP Tuners. If they started locking them, they haven't been doing it for very long.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks to be something new, [email protected] told me this was possible before (I had a chat over hpt forum last week) but recently Diablo has changed something and now they're not able to write the pcms unlocked by Diablo anymore. Guy at Diablo I was talking with yesterday implied the same thing, before it was ok, but apparently not anymore.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
Looks to be something new, [email protected] told me this was possible before (I had a chat over hpt forum last week) but recently Diablo has changed something and now they're not able to write the pcms unlocked by Diablo anymore. Guy at Diablo I was talking with yesterday implied the same thing, before it was ok, but apparently not anymore.
If so, there should be a little more clarity from DS saying "unlocked PCM for Diablo tuner only" and not just "unlocked PCM".

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wanted to update the thread as so far everything has been good, I sent the PCM i bought from ebay to HPT Oct 31st, and got it back Thur Nov09, got it installed yesterday, nothing to do other than to clear DTC's with HPT, Now i need to order a couple of extra HPT credits to license the PCM, and i'm waiting for them to enable VCM v3.7, so i can download that version once i have it available in my HPT customer portal, there was a sheet that came in the box that said i needed to tune the PCM with V3.7

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
Wanted to update the thread as so far everything has been good, I sent the PCM i bought from ebay to HPT Oct 31st, and got it back Thur Nov09, got it installed yesterday, nothing to do other than to clear DTC's with HPT, Now i need to order a couple of extra HPT credits to license the PCM, and i'm waiting for them to enable VCM v3.7, so i can download that version once i have it available in my HPT customer portal, there was a sheet that came in the box that said i needed to tune the PCM with V3.7
So the 8 credits that comes with HP Tuner purchase is not enough to license one dodge vehicle?

https://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_creditsfaq.php#a2

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Oh yes, but i've used all my credits tuning all my vehicles since 2006, and some more for friends and what not, mostly GM LSx equipped vehicles, and one instance of a Ford Coyote Stang, so i need to add 2 more credits to tune the Chally.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
^Oh yes, but i've used all my credits tuning all my vehicles since 2006, and some more for friends and what not, mostly GM LSx equipped vehicles, and one instance of a Ford Coyote Stang, so i need to add 2 more credits to tune the Chally.
Ah, I ass-umed that you just bought the HP tuner...my bad.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries, and again, Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and pointers, i was lost in all this PCM swapping stuff, 1st time i've had to change a PCM because i couldn't tune the factory one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's done and i wrote my base street tune today, less than a minute to write to the Dodge PCM, prob because i don't have to write the TCM :), my Jeep used to take about 3 min or so, but that one was auto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts