Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Dodge Challenger won't start every time I turn the key to start it I just get a humming...... help plz

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Oneya46. Sorry to hear that. You get a click, click, click? Or just a hum as long as you try to start? First suspect would be the starter solenoid/starter motor. I take it it's a V6, therefore an automatic? Will it roll forward if put in neutral? Might try rolling it forward a bit, then try again to start it. A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes it sounds like it wants to crank but then start humming then sometimes it just hums

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,539 Posts
I've never heard a vehicle 'hum' in response to engaging the ignition to start an engine. Can you record a quick 5 sec clip with audio and save online somewhere so we can hear it for ourselves?

Whatever is wrong will probably require troubleshooting by a mechanic with the proper tools. So you should probably plan on having to do that eventually.

In the meantime, some things I would do if it were mine, just to rule out the simple stuff:

1. Check the battery's voltage (should have >11V; ideally >12+V. You'll want to make sure it's good no matter what. If it's the original battery, it's at the end of its useful life after 5 years usually. Getting 6 out of them is probably the max.

2. Remove and clean the battery terminals. It may not be the problem, but it certainly won't hurt, especially if it's the original battery.

3. Check other high-draw electronics. Headlights, dash lights, etc. Push the start button once to get into accessory mode and make sure all the internal electronics work as expected.

If all of that checked out, I would see what happens when trying to start with the key FOB. That can be done by prying the Start button off (it's just a cover) and inserting the notched end of your key FOB into the hole behind where the button was and turning the FOB to the right like you would an old school key.

If that resulted in the same humming noise, I'd probably punt and have the car towed to a local mechanic for further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If that resulted in the same humming noise, I'd probably punt and have the car towed to a local mechanic for further troubleshooting.
If all that does not work, and you are mechanically capable, you may want to take your starter off and take it somewhere (Autozone, electric rebuild shop) to have it checked out. Could be you have a shorted winding in the starter.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
If all that does not work, and you are mechanically capable, you may want to take your starter off and take it somewhere (Autozone, electric rebuild shop) to have it checked out. Could be you have a shorted winding in the starter.
Personally speaking, if I were going to go to the trouble of crawling up under there to remove the starter, I'd go ahead and go all hillbilly on it and see if I couldn't just short it with a screw driver to have it engage right there. I've done it before as a worst case scenario type deal to get a Dodge pickup to start, but now that I think about it, it's a little unnerving to intentionally create a short only inches away from your face and have the engine of the vehicle you're currently laying under in a Taco Bell parking lot at midnight in a bad part of town suddenly roar to life. :yikes:

Yeah, maybe that's not such a good idea after all...ABORT, ABORT!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Personally speaking, if I were going to go to the trouble of crawling up under there to remove the starter, I'd go ahead and go all hillbilly on it and see if I couldn't just short it with a screw driver to have it engage right there. I've done it before as a worst case scenario type deal to get a Dodge pickup to start, but now that I think about it, it's a little unnerving to intentionally create a short only inches away from your face and have the engine of the vehicle you're currently laying under in a Taco Bell parking lot at midnight in a bad part of town suddenly roar to life. :yikes:

Yeah, maybe that's not such a good idea after all...ABORT, ABORT!!!
Thanks Nuke. Now I have beer coming out my nose and all over my keyboard. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My 2003 Dakota, bought new, is on its original battery. It cranks strong; I have no idea why it's lasted so long. I keep a set of cables with me just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
My 2003 Dakota, bought new,* is on its original battery.* It cranks strong; I have no idea why it's lasted so long. I keep a set of cables with me just in case.

LIES, LIES!!! :wink3:

Okay, maybe it's possible, but it's certainly not the norm in my experience. I'm guessing it's not your daily driver? If it is, surely you don't live anywhere with an extreme climate (either hot or cold).

Either way, I'd say carrying the spare cables is a good idea. However, replacing it now before it leaves you stranded is probably the best idea!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts
However, replacing it now before it leaves you stranded is probably the best idea!
"You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field"

A Guy :D

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
"You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field"

Lucille (cover hi-fi) - Kenny Rogers - YouTube

A Guy :D
Here's a fun fact about that song and my relationship with it: I've heard it (and sung along with it) all my life, yet I was well into my 20s before I realized the chorus was as you typed it above. Up until then, I always thought it was "...with four hundred children and a crop in the field."

Yeah, I know, it actually makes more sense my way, but I doubt we'll ever get ole Kenny to change the lyrics :p

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,888 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

There's a bathroom on the right (There's a bad moon on the rise)

Excuse me while I kiss this guy (Excuse me while I kiss the sky)

A Guy
Seems like there's a Def Leppard song with one too, though I can't remember which one off the top of my head...something like "..sweet potato pie and a sack full of beans..." (that would be the Mondegreen version obviously, I have no idea what the actual lyric is at this time).

·
Registered
324 Posts
A stuck bendix gear.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
LIES, LIES!!! :wink3:

Okay, maybe it's possible, but it's certainly not the norm in my experience. I'm guessing it's not your daily driver? If it is, surely you don't live anywhere with an extreme climate (either hot or cold).

Either way, I'd say carrying the spare cables is a good idea. However, replacing it now before it leaves you stranded is probably the best idea!

Honest truth, Nuke! And you nailed it; stays in the garage, not a daily driver, 35k miles, Maryland weather, all original. Had an electrical problem a few months back. Took it to Advance Auto, thinking battery issue even though it starts the truck, tech ran a test and said it was fine. Said he'd be happy to sell me one, but I didn't need one yet. Turned out the problem was the PCM. $$$ I'd have been happier replacing the battery.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

There's a bathroom on the right (There's a bad moon on the rise)

Excuse me while I kiss this guy (Excuse me while I kiss the sky)

A Guy

"I'm looking for Amanda Huginkiss. Ah, why can't I find Amanda Huginkiss?"
-Moe, falling into Bart's trap, The Simpsons

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Honest truth, Nuke! And you nailed it; stays in the garage, not a daily driver, 35k miles, Maryland weather, all original. Had an electrical problem a few months back. Took it to Advance Auto, thinking battery issue even though it starts the truck, tech ran a test and said it was fine. Said he'd be happy to sell me one, but I didn't need one yet. Turned out the problem was the PCM. $$$ I'd have been happier replacing the battery.
Dang, no wonder its lasted so long, it's got the sweet life!!

That little "eye" on it is a blast from the past, I haven't seen a battery with one of those in many, many moons!

Serious question right quick: what was the deal with the PCM that caused it to need to be replaced? Was it the infamous "no bus" issue where it would get hot and short out (internally) and kill the vehicle while driving?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Dang, no wonder its lasted so long, it's got the sweet life!!

That little "eye" on it is a blast from the past, I haven't seen a battery with one of those in many, many moons!

Serious question right quick: what was the deal with the PCM that caused it to need to be replaced? Was it the infamous "no bus" issue where it would get hot and short out (internally) and kill the vehicle while driving?

No, although that happened to a friend of mine with an '02 Dakota just last week. Drove him nuts trying to figure out why it would just die on him and still have lights, radio, etc. My issue was just weird. After a short trip, I removed the key from the ignition, and it kept chiming as if I had left the key in. Chiming would not stop, even when shutting the door and locking it. Other things started acting goofy, like the 4-wheel drive "service soon" light popped on, and I couldn't switch to 4-wheel. Fob wouldn't lock, and headlights would stay on. Had to disconnect battery to reset. Repair shop said Dodge stopped making CTMs a couple years ago, so they had to pick up an after market unit, then flash it to my VIN. $950 labor and parts. The way I see it, Nuke, that amounts to around $65 a year, not counting maintenance and light mods (dual exhaust and Nerf bars) since that was the first repair I've had. I can't really yelp too loudly on that. I've been lucky. Been a darn good truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts