Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the standard 6 sp shifter on my 2011 SRT with the Hurst Billet/Plus 2. Was hoping I could get some feedback from those who have done the change out or know more about it. Is it worth the almost $$$ ($350+) Is there a noticeable difference? Smoother shifts, less play, or shorter throw?

I've already replaced the handle with the carbon fiber pistol grip from Mr Norms- Love it and will keep it installed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing the standard 6 sp shifter on my 2011 SRT with the Hurst Billet/Plus 2. Was hoping I could get some feedback from those who have done the change out or know more about it. Is it worth the almost $$$ ($350+) Is there a noticeable difference? Smoother shifts, less play, or shorter throw?

I've already replaced the handle with the carbon fiber pistol grip from Mr Norms- Love it and will keep it installed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
So far, I have put a catch can, Corsa Extreme Catback, K&N drop in and a Skip Shift Eliminator on my 392 SRT8, and while /i am very satisfied with the catback, I have to say my favorite mod so far is the Hurst Shifter. Much shorter throws, way more positive and a great feel. The shifter comes with a dynamat piece that reduces vibration. With that being said if you hold the shifter while you drive you can feel a bit more vibration vs. stock, but it is not that objectionable and well worth it as far as I'm concerned. If your hand is not on the shifter, there is zero difference as far as noise and vibration over stock. Highly recommended.

·
Banned
903 Posts
I absolutely love my Hurst shifter with the 1970's style pistol grip handle, one of my most favorite mods. I would highly suggest buying the complete shifter with 70's throw rod modification, if you don't you will end up taking the shifter back apart soon and replacing the orings on the shifter block, it's not a matter of if you will have but a matter of when. Personally the mod improves the shifters positive feel even more.
You can buy the Hurst shifter with 70's mod installed from the HOP-NOT online store.
Night & Day difference, The throws are much shorter, engagement is much more positive feel,no play and way smoother!

Worth Every PENNY!!!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I absolutely love my Hurst shifter with the 1970's style pistol grip handle, one of my most favorite mods. I would highly suggest buying the complete shifter with 70's throw rod modification, if you don't you will end up taking the shifter back apart soon and replacing the orings on the shifter block, it's not a matter of if you will have but a matter of when. Personally the mod improves the shifters positive feel even more.
You can buy the Hurst shifter with 70's mod installed from the HOP-NOT online store.
Night & Day difference, The throws are much shorter, engagement is much more positive feel,no play and way smoother!

Worth Every PENNY!!!!!
Parrothead,

Thank you for this info. I just ordered the shifter from another vendor on Friday. How hard is it to install these throw rods to the shifter? I didn't realize the original o-rings would wear out, so I'd like to do it right the first time.
Also, the web site says there will be added vibration. How much vibration are we talking about? Is it bothersome if you normally hold the pistol grip when driving?

·
Banned
903 Posts
I filled the voids in the back side of the pistol handles with RTV silicone and it does away with about 95% of the buzzzz noise. After driving it for 3000 miles I don't have any noise, I guess the bushings need to settle in or something.
I read about the o-ring issues for a while before I bought my shifter, right after buying it I was looking it over and noticed the lower o-ring was already pushed out of the shifter block right from Hurst. So I ordered 70's mod and put it in before I ever installed mine the first time. The kit is not hard to install, if you have the ability to install the shifter yourself you can definately install 70's new throw rod kit.

If you look on "Speedy's" web site he has a very good instructional video of how to remove the console & install the shifter.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I filled the voids in the back side of the pistol handles with RTV silicone and it does away with about 95% of the buzzzz noise. After driving it for 3000 miles I don't have any noise, I guess the bushings need to settle in or something.
I read about the o-ring issues for a while before I bought my shifter, right after buying it I was looking it over and noticed the lower o-ring was already pushed out of the shifter block right from Hurst. So I ordered 70's mod and put it in before I ever installed mine the first time. The kit is not hard to install, if you have the ability to install the shifter yourself you can definately install 70's new throw rod kit.

If you look on "Speedy's" web site he has a very good instructional video of how to remove the console & install the shifter.

Best of Luck
My friends at Speedlogix were kind enough to work a deal with Larry at Hop-Not to ship me a pre-installed throw Rod kit and ship it out today. They did this even though Hurst had already shipped the shift kit I had ordered from them. Hopefully I will have it by Friday as my plans are to have it installed on Saturday morning. I'm going to wrap or encase the bottom of the shifter handle with foam (the stuff used to protect hard drives during shipping). I will also open the shifter handle and fill with silicone.

I'll let you know how it works out. Thank you for steering me in this direction!:bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts