Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Hurst Billet short shifter installed and wow what a difference! I feel more connected to the drive train and even though the cabin noise has gone up slightly it brings in the nice exhaust note of my gibson catbacks. The shift action is sooooo much better. Why isn't this shifter standard on the SRT 6-speed?

I've fallen in love with my challenger all over again. I opted to go with the que ball shifter and that makes for a real classy interior IMO.

The only weird thing is when the dealer removed the old shifter they said one of the linkage pins was missing. Maybe that was why I was getting notchy shifts 1-2 and 2-3 when cold?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hell yeah man. I took my Hurst to the next level by installing a solid throw rod and also shortened my chrome Hurst shift stick an inch, to make the shifter even quicker!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
How is the durability and longevity with these? I have heard a couple of members broke theirs.

·
Banned
928 Posts
How is the durability and longevity with these? I have heard a couple of members broke theirs.
the longevity is fine!. dont even be concerned about that.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Ive heard a lot of things about the shifter being sketchy on both challengers and camamro's i know that one camaro's when you shift from 1st to 2nd it makes a sound like there is a ewok stuck in there or something.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok so I just got my 2010 R/T back from the mechanic. I had him install the Hurst and skip shift resistor. What a difference ! Best mod I have made to any car yet. It actually feels faster. The old shifter felt all sloppy and squishy and I had trouble telling what gear I was in quite often. Now it is tight and forceful and it goes exactly where you put it. All the minor noise vibration complaints are over stated. Hardly notice them. I would say it is best investment in mod you can do on a 6 speed.

·
Banned
928 Posts
Ive heard a lot of things about the shifter being sketchy on both challengers and camamro's i know that one camaro's when you shift from 1st to 2nd it makes a sound like there is a ewok stuck in there or something.
The Camaro shifter was designed more as a "race style" shifter. it has very little isolation as compared to the challenger shifter. Keep in mind however the rubber isolator kit and dynamat are included with both the camaro and challenger shifter now so any "ewok's" you thought may have been there are no longer...

·
Banned
928 Posts
. Now it is tight and forceful and it goes exactly where you put it. All the minor noise vibration complaints are over stated. Hardly notice them. I would say it is best investment in mod you can do on a 6 speed.
EXACTLY!!.. glad you like it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Installed my shifter two weeks ago, love the feel and the noise is minimal. It appears that hurst has been paying attention to the Shifter Fix thread and has made some improvements to the design, although not the same as the shifter fix. Some have noticed wear in the shifter after some time, attributed to packings in the shifter. So far so good with mine, will wait and see how it performs, and if necessary go with shifter fix if it's still available.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
The Camaro shifter was designed more as a "race style" shifter. it has very little isolation as compared to the challenger shifter. Keep in mind however the rubber isolator kit and dynamat are included with both the camaro and challenger shifter now so any "ewok's" you thought may have been there are no longer...
Thats good. Ill defiantly be looking into one then :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think this is it, the hurst part number is 3916020. The mopar part number is P5155277. Anyone know if there is a difference between these two? They look like the same pictures but the mopar price is quite a bit more. Anyone know the cheapest source for these? I'm looking at getting the mopar carbon fiber pistol grip set up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What was the cost to have the dealer install?
I plan in upgrading to the Hurst.
I was charged two hours of labor. There are a couple of videos out there that show how to install yourself and the process doesn't look too intimidating if you have mechanical skills. I hurt myself making it painful to do the install and didn't want to wait so I just paid the dealer to do it.

Exactly which kit are you guys installing? Got a Hurst part number?
3916020 is what I put in.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Benefits of this shifter versus the short throw Speedlogic shifter?

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Wow as a lotus owner I figured that might have been the first thing on your list along with some suspension and weight reduction. Give it a lil bit of a chance on the windys haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts