Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What should have been a simple mod has turned into a minor nightmare. Instead of spending a few hours fussing with the shifter install, my car is out of service until my new shifter pins are installed. I am wondering if anyone had the following problem and, if so, how they dealt with it. I am not new to mods or automotive work and have been attending to my cars for 30 years.

The stock shifter came out just fine. I was having trouble lining up the holes on the shifter with the tranny mount. I was able to get one of the pins started, but I could only get it about 1/2 way, no matter how much wiggling and jiggling and tapping I did. I even put the car up on blocks so that I could access it from the bottom. I know it needs to be snug, but it was so snug that it jammed about 1/2 way in. I tried to tap it back out and the locking pin broke off. I ended up having to clamp vice grips on the now shredded pin to move the pin enough to work it free. New pin is on order. I checked the other pin and it will have the same problem. It is like the pin is either just a wee bit too wide or the bushings in the hurst are just a wee bit too small. The pins fit fine with the stock shifter.

Did anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do to get the pins in? I tried the soap and water trick but the pins just would not go. Any tips/advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I did mine this summer it was a bear also. I ended up taking dry graphite on both pins and starting the, maybe 1/4" tops. After that I found a 1/2" chevy distributer wrench I had that was bent correctly so I could pull/wiggle/tap the pins into place. I install both from the top but it did take some time and maneuvering to get them both in. Hope this helps

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have heard of this problem before. When I did mine I had no problem at all. Mines an early build 2013 car. Don't know if that makes a diff or not. I've even had to remove mine after the original install to get Larry's mod. Went right back in no problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Pins were easy on my car too, when I had the Hurst. Mines a 2010, if that matters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I am hoping that the replacement pins that I ordered (since I totally destroyed one of them) will be a better fit. I will also call Hurst to see if there is some issue they know about since it is not really a close fit in my case. I will post to let you all know what I find out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thank you all. I am hoping that the replacement pins that I ordered (since I totally destroyed one of them) will be a better fit. I will also call Hurst to see if there is some issue they know about since it is not really a close fit in my case. I will post to let you all know what I find out.
Are the pins tight fitting on just the shifter all by itself ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Years ago the Hurst name meant something. It produced a superior product that nobody else could equal. Unfortunately times have changed (along with corporate mentality) and name brands from yesteryear are being bought and sold as a commodity. The brand name was sold to Sunbeam, then sold to Mr. Gasket and it's been owned by B&M since 2007. The name brand endures but the quality nowadays appears to be a concern. IMO it's all a marketing ploy and the quality of the product has become secondary to the name brand itself...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the pins tight fitting on just the shifter all by itself ?

The pins are tight fitting on the shifter by themselves. Once I was able to get the stuck pin out (and destroyed), I tried the other pin on the shifter without inserting through the tranny bracket. It actually got stuck in the shifter and I had to tap it out. Something's not right. Either the pins are too large or the shifter bushings are too small. My guess is the latter since the pins work easily with the stock shifter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used a bit of silicone grease on the hurst bushings, and treated the pins with a steel wool rub down prior to installing. They were tight, but manageable with the right arm/hand angle working from the top.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Yours is the 2nd-3rd one I have seen this, YES call Hurst as it seems a batch of shifters went out with TOO SMALL pin mount bushings. FWIW if you are installing a Hurst shifter since earlier in 2013, remove ONE pin from stock shifter and CHECK your pin bushings on the new Hurst should slide in just fine, if it needs ANY force it's probably one with too small bushings, QAQC seems to be going downhill there sorry man, would also mention pin costs can't hurt. :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't remember them being tight at all. Does sound like may they did a run with "bad" bushings. My only pin problem was one was missing when I pulled the stock shifter out. Replacement pin was under $10 I think.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Drivers side was tight but doable with a little grease, always prefit your pins first so you know you're not fighting a hole that's too small...over all, not fun though...may have to find out what it's like to reverse it when the barton comes out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The saga is complete. My replacement mopar pins showed up as did the replacement shifter. The replacement shifter came from the same vendor and had the same problem. Bushings too small. I could not even push the retaining pins through the bushings when holding the shifter in my hand. Clearly a qc issue from Hurst. Rather than try again, I used a Dremel and gently enlarged the diameter of the bushing holes. I did this until the pins could be pushed through but were still snug. That did the trick. I was able to get the pins through the tranny bracket and bushings without undue effort. Install is complete and Chally is back on the road. Shifter is a vast improvement from the stock shifter. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pin install

Didn't notice thread tell you already installed it after boring the bushings out. But for anyone that has some difficulty installing one that's a little tight a good way is to freeze the pin's for a few hours and lots of times they will slide right in. Works on lots of things. I actually picked it up for putting wheel studs in. Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: 3 peddles

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Not to be a smarty pants, did mine last fall with the upgraded version and it was quick, slick and easy. I cleaned everything real well, made sure there was a good coat of lube on all moving parts when slapping in the new shifter and didn't have an issue one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
same problem here . they just will not go in . going to try the suggestions here and a lot more grease worked on it about 2hours and can not get them both in . even went so far as to bring the wife into the garage(I was really desperate) and even with her small hand being able to line up bolts they would not push thru. Ill be at it again tomorrow hopefully with better results. any other suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before I resorted to boring the bushings, I tried pretty much everything I could think of. I did not try freezing the pins, but the fit pre-bore was not even close. I have had zero issues with the shifter with the slightly bored bushing holes. Shifter is tight and works like a champ.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had the same issue. Couldn't get the pins back in. Took shifter back out, tried the pins and they went in with a little force so sprayed pins and holes with silicone and put shifter back in. It took a lot of shaking and tapping but got em lined up. Passenger side I got the pin partway in and couldn't put it in by hand any further, took a long screw driver and leveraged it in. slid right in and spun it in place. I dropped those pins I don't know how many times, My long magnet tool was a life saver that day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
DONE!!! took another 3 hours today but got it in and WOW it was worth the time and effort. started first thing this morning by pulling the unit out , I only had 1 clip in 1/2 way so I figured I start all over. I tested the bushing holes and the pins went in but not to easily . I used electrician wire pulling grease it does not leave a mess and was very easy to work with and is fine with all types of metal along with plastics and rubber. I steel wooled the pins to clean everything off them, coated them in the wire grease and with a little wiggling in they went without a fight. after that the rest was easy. much more enjoyable driving now solid shifts a lot shorter throws and yes noisier but not really that much and I did no Dynamat . I would imagine the dynamat would make it quieter than it was when stock. thanks again to all for your input .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts