Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm glad this topic has been resurrected. I had only seen these in pictures, the Hurst/Challenger package vehicles. Recently got to see an original "3 piece" Hurst Airspeed Spoiler on a red Challenger (guy got lucky and found one). It was a knockout! I know that Hurst modified the spoiler to a one piece, but the three piece looks like an original part of the car with the continuation of the trunk opening line thru the spoiler. Just looks factory. There is a company called Sarona that makes a one piece, but it just doesn't do it for me after being "spoiled" by the three piece look. It may be interesting to others though. One thing the owner of the car I saw said, was that there was no more accumulation of dirt on top of the bumper with the Hurst.
Now that Hurst is out of the Hurst/Challenger package deal business, it may be time to approach them for the production of their spoilers as an individual product...Take a number!

·
Premium Member
859 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Besides Sarona, I have only seen one website selling these (Sarona's version that is) but it does not look like they are a supporting member on this forum, so I won't mention their name.

I'm just curious if a group buy could bring the price down. After all $590 is just pricey for a piece of molded fiberglass when other challenger stores are selling after market rear spoilers for $100 to $300 and of course more for real carbon fiber, which this one is not.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Besides Sarona, I have only seen one website selling these (Sarona's version that is) but it does not look like they are a supporting member on this forum, so I won't mention their name.

I'm just curious if a group buy could bring the price down. After all $590 is just pricey for a piece of molded fiberglass when other challenger stores are selling after market rear spoilers for $100 to $300 and of course more for real carbon fiber, which this one is not.

Just a thought.
The SRT Performance spoiler looks kind of like they Hurst Air speed one....a little.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am one of many guys that have been looking for a taller, and preferably a 3 piece version of a spoiler. I have a custom 3 piece version on my Javelin and I really like the look. That being said, all this talk about you need to be doing 100
mph is not really based in fact. When Mark Donohue designed the rear duckbill spoiler for the Javelins in Trans Am racing in 1970, he was able to determine there was actually a noticeable difference in handling at way lower speeds then 100 mph. Of course the effects will vary with the intended use, but some spoilers are just for looks if the angles are wrong. I don't have a wind tunnel so I will just go with a taller one that might hurt gas mileage if I actually drove 100 mph,but I don't.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,566 Posts
I am one of many guys that have been looking for a taller, and preferably a 3 piece version of a spoiler. I have a custom 3 piece version on my Javelin and I really like the look. That being said, all this talk about you need to be doing 100 View attachment 993403 mph is not really based in fact. When Mark Donohue designed the rear duckbill spoiler for the Javelins in Trans Am racing in 1970, he was able to determine there was actually a noticeable difference in handling at way lower speeds then 100 mph. Of course the effects will vary with the intended use, but some spoilers are just for looks if the angles are wrong. I don't have a wind tunnel so I will just go with a taller one that might hurt gas mileage if I actually drove 100 mph,but I don't.
Interesting car, you have any more info on it? A thread elsewhere? (You wouldn't have had a Crossfire by chance
would you?)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I built that car above from a donor Dodge Ram truck as a drivetrain basis. It has the drivetrain, dash, wiring harness and all the power accessories and much more from the truck and a few other vehicles. I have been an AMC guy for all of my driving life, about 40 years. My next build will be a Scat Pack hemi based 70 AMX. I don't discuss my car a lot on the AMC FaceBook groups I am on because not much I did to that car applies to the stock guys and since it has a Hemi, the purists hate it. It was my daily driver for 8 years but due to the fact I now have other options, it sits a lot. There are a lot of custom touches on that car are all fabricated by myself out of metal since there are no aftermarket parts available to fit this body. I would rather purchase a bolt on spoiler for my Challenger, rather then build it, since I don't want to mess up a new car, yet. The Javelin started out as a $500, junk yard find. You can find other pictures online under Hemi Javelin.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts