Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Hurst roll control for my car and installed it, this is my review of the kit.

First off its nice as it allows you to install with out permenatly changing anything. The instructions are ok and your average person should be able to do this in his garage.

I noticed that they could have done a better job with the hardware, I recomend you get your own stainless hardware of a matching look and the correct length, the hurst hardware is way to long and doesnt match. They also supply you with two 1/8 plugs that dont match so you may want to get a few 1/8 inch pipe plugs made from stainless with an allen hole for a clean look. I also recomend you paint the bracket to avoid rust. They instruct you to ground it at the fender bolt, but look down and you will see two factory ground points that if used provide a cleaner installed look. The momentary button is worthless on a six speed car, you will have to get a different one or a shifter handle with a switch built in.

I bled the brakes and had a leak, right at the point where the hurst line connects to the factory line, I used all mt might to seal it. It still leaked so I removed it to inspect and sure enough it was a defective line. It was all pitted from the heat and flare process Hurst used. I contacted the retail outlet I purchased from and they agreed to swap out mine for one from another kit. I put the new line on and the leak is no more.

I am sure the line issue is not the normal, but please look yours over well, the product was not bad but if hurst took like five minutes of time and gave better hardware you would fell better about handing over $150 for the kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like yours, I had a leak where the factory line mated with the Hurst supplied line.

Also, mine leaked where the other Hurst line goes into the ABS.

I couldn't see anything wrong with my flares, tried tightening more, but no luck, still leaking.

Put it all back stock, and No Leak!

Contacted the place I purchased from, they said they would contact Hurst about replacement lines....

Still haven't heard anything.:icon_flaming:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Like yours, I had a leak where the factory line mated with the Hurst supplied line.

Also, mine leaked where the other Hurst line goes into the ABS.

I couldn't see anything wrong with my flares, tried tightening more, but no luck, still leaking.

Put it all back stock, and No Leak!

Contacted the place I purchased from, they said they would contact Hurst about replacement lines....

Still haven't heard anything.:icon_flaming:
Contact Hurst directly, they should help you to protect their reputation. I used the SLP kit and although it doesn't come with a momentary button or illuminated toggle switch I was able to easily install an LED and momentary button in series with the supplied toggle switch for an additional $8-10. No leaks with the SLP and very easy to install.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Momentary button/switch installed on shift knob

Al Bundy (one of my childhood hero's lol) you are correct that the momentary switch is worthless with a manual 6 speed, I tried it once and pulled it into the garage for some modding! It was very easy to install the button into the shift knob, less than a two hour job if I remember correctly, much less. I posted a thread with detailed instructions as well as a materials list if anybody's interested which I would assume anyone with a manual would be after their first attempt using the line lock. The best part about it is you can use your existing shift knob and avoid paying $40-60 for one with a button. I was so excited to finally get that white Hurst shift knob I wanted for so long and really didn't want to shelf it and pay for a replacement with a button. Here's the link: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/install-line-lock-switch-hurst-shift-knob-easily-149690/
In the fourth picture you can see the LED and toggle switch next to the cigarette lighter. The toggle switch activates the LED as well as the button on the shift knob.

knob button.jpg

knob2.jpg

knob3.jpg

knob4.jpg

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts exactly only I will do it to the factory shift lever. Just waiting for the Barton to hit the market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts