Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How valuable can a forum be! I find a wealth of information about the pros, cons, and fixes for the Hurst 6-speed shifter. Then I find one of our own members, 70challengerrt440, has a site, and a part to make a great shifter even better and easier to live with.

I have read many posts but don't recall anyone mentioning the QUALITY of the G & K Performance repair kit. This is a very serious part with superb machining. I'm sure Hurst has seen it and they're impressed. I sure am.

Then I contacted 70challengerrt440 and asked for a delivery date. I got the kit before his text! He sent it Priority. It would be nice if Hurst made the perfect shifter, but, they don't. And I'd hate to "economize" on shifting to delay pulling it out and repairing it or sending it to the factory. So extending the life of my shifter was a very high priority. Now I can breathe easy.

I'll update this when I get it in the car within a few days. Thanks to G & K Performance and 70challengerrt440!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree on the G&K quality; Larry does a superb job.

I live only a few miles from Larry, so I had him install the shifter too, which he could have done with the proverbial blindfold in place. He also knew which places to put the sound deadening.

Unlike most, I went from stock linkage directly to Hurst with the mod--it was like stepping up two levels in shift quality all at once!

I called him a few times on the drive home to give him my feedback and tell him how much I appreciated his work. I told him some people say their Hail Marys but I will be singing my Thank you Larrys. That was three years and 30,000 miles ago and I'm still singing each time I drive.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
yep I have the hurst and larry's mod.. I drove to his house and had him put the throw rod in for me. ( was in mn already ) great guy.. nice shop. great product. just wish you could by something from a co already DONE.. typical though.. most stuff you have to go with aftermarket to get what you want.. sad but it is what it is.

chris

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Install is complete and I love every gear change now!! The Hurst pivot rod was different than I expected. Instead of two black O-rings, it had 1 O-ring under 2 wide silicone bands and 1 wide nylon band. And the O-rings on the small pilot screw were covered by a 1/2" long red rubber sleeve. I'll post pictures when I can download my camera. And I wonder if this is a "fix" by Hurst....dunno. But I can't imagine anything working better than Larry's fix as it is outstanding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is this to fix the shifter feeling like you're stirring a bucket of poo? My Hurst was in the car when I bought it. 4000 miles later it's a guessing game where 3rd and 5th are. They seem to swap places.

Thanks!:bangin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
So what exactly is the issue with the Hurst 6 spd shifter? I just ordered one and now I'm thinking I need something else to fix a brand new shifter?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DevilDawg, you are correct that there is a "fix" for a brand new Hurst shifter. It is designed and sold by Larry, one of our forum members, and you can see it at G & K Performance. The cost is about $130. It is designed to keep you from having to remove your shifter and send it to Hurst to have it rebuilt when it gets "sloppy." You might have noticed the post from SiRT8 who has the Hurst with only 4000 miles and already has to "guess" if he's going into 3rd gear or 5th.

Larry's modification eliminates the O-rings in the stock Hurst shifter. Hopefully, I will never have to repair my shifter again. So many members swear by Larry's fix, that I took a leap of faith and installed it in the new shifter.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same upgrade by Larry and like everyone else, it has been the best upgrade to an upgrade lol. Don't expect it to ever deteriorate or let me down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just tried to order, his web site says he's out of stock right now and is working to get that corrected. Thanks everyone for the help too. I'm glad I saw this before I installed the Hurst shifter:thanks:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was also grateful to our forum before I put in a new shifter and became unhappy with it 4 months later. I was chomping at the bit to install my shifter but managed to wait for Larry's fix and really glad I waited an extra few days. It was worth it. Enjoy your newly modified "new" Hurst shifter. You'll love it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got a little reprieve on mine. It was steadily getting worse, so I ordered a stock shifter from a board member to put in while I send mine to Larry.

Friday night I was driving home and the shifter handle seemed to disconnect from everything, while at a stoplight, in 4th gear.

Got to a parking lot and popped the top of the console off and found the bolts had backed out of the handle.:clap:

Whoever did the install did a very nice job installing sound deadener and such, but left the bolts loose.

Hopefully mine will now last until Larry gets some new kits in.:eusa_dance:

·
Banned
274 Posts
I just put my Hurst in last night, drove it when I was done, drove it to work, and was missing it so much, I went for a drive during lunch.

I don't know what the fix would be for, other than the noise, but I didn't notice that much of a noise increase to warrant a "fix" for it. I kind of like it. Although if you have the radio on at all, or have a modified exhaust, it doesn't even matter. Love the Hurst.

BTW, I put the little patches of Dynomat where Hurst recommends to put them, I kept the Hurst bushings, and did not install the rubber shifter handle spacers.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
is it possible to still get this part from g and k I can't find a link to it . thanks for any help
Larry went out of business awhile back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts