Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of me thinks I can do it, as long as I take my time. I'm most worried about removing the entire center console. I'm afraid I will break some pieces. This is such an expensive but nice mod I'd hate to break something or mess something up. Plus putting it all back together looks daunting.

I watched Speedy's installation, and I can get all those tools from my neighbor. Unfortunately he is always busy and can't help me install it for quite awhile.

I have installed a short throw shifter on my '03 Mustang GT, it was an MGW. Installation was much easier though and I just had to remove the pieces around the shifter, not the entire console.

Just wondering what you guys thought. I think I just lack the confident to tell you the truth. :indifferent:

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is easy and straight forward.....grab a six pack (or ****tail), some tunes and take your time.

Unless you're the kind of guy that eveytime you put tools in your hands and walk away bloody...then quit while you are ahead. Some guys just don't have the knack for it BUT this truly is a simple job. Just pry slowly on the console and the rest is cake.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Part of me thinks I can do it, as long as I take my time. I'm most worried about removing the entire center console. I'm afraid I will break some pieces. This is such an expensive but nice mod I'd hate to break something or mess something up. Plus putting it all back together looks daunting.

I watched Speedy's installation, and I can get all those tools from my neighbor. Unfortunately he is always busy and can't help me install it for quite awhile.

I have installed a short throw shifter on my '03 Mustang GT, it was an MGW. Installation was much easier though and I just had to remove the pieces around the shifter, not the entire console.

Just wondering what you guys thought. I think I just lack the confident to tell you the truth. :indifferent:
It has always been my experience that if I am hesitant to do a project I ask a friend to help. Just having the other person to bounce things off of is always a pressure reliever.

If you have someone that can help you, maybe that would be a good idea.
If not, get a reputable shop to do it for you.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have two people who could help me, one is very busy at the moment, and the other has not gotten back to me. I'm just so anxious to get this shifter in, but I will have to wait.

Will let you know how it goes. :)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
GROW a PAIR and DO IT!!! lol cause thats what I'm doing next weekend!! Bought the carbon fiber short throw Husrt pistol grip shifter. My buddy and I are diving into it next week end. :drink4: Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
GROW a PAIR and DO IT!!! lol cause thats what I'm doing next weekend!! Bought the carbon fiber short throw Husrt pistol grip shifter. My buddy and I are diving into it next week end. :drink4: Good luck!!

That's what I'm talking about. These things are always better with a friend!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a hard install at all. Just a bit time consuming. If you decide to do it yourself and have any questions, I will be happy to help where I can!

Thanks
Mikey
Thanks Mikey. More and more it looks like I will have to try this myself. All my "car friends" don't have the time, or won't do it. It honesty doesn't look too bad. All the electrical harnesses I'm afraid I'll disconnected them wrong and break something. I'm not clumsy, just unfamiliar with the parts. But if worse comes to worse and I'm totally stuck I'm sure I can get help.

The pins on the actual shifter arm also gets me, I'm not sure how to remove that.

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
Thanks Mikey. More and more it looks like I will have to try this myself. All my "car friends" don't have the time, or won't do it. It honesty doesn't look too bad. All the electrical harnesses I'm afraid I'll disconnected them wrong and break something. I'm not clumsy, just unfamiliar with the parts. But if worse comes to worse and I'm totally stuck I'm sure I can get help.

The pins on the actual shifter arm also gets me, I'm not sure how to remove that.
You are most welcome!

The pins - the hardest part is getting to them. I can do it while sitting in the driver seat. Some people like to get underneath the car to do it. Just depends :)

Good thing on the electrical harnesses - as long as you hold the safety release button you should be just fine :)

Thanks
Mikey

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm in the same boat, not that mechancally inclined. Just recieved the Hurst shifter today. Thanks speedlogix! It sat in Chicago for 28 hours don't why. Called a friend to help me to installing it, hasn't called back yet. Also watched Speedy's video to see how it went.

·
Banned
903 Posts
This is really an easy install, just take your time getting the trim ring and the top bezel off so you don't break any of the plastic mounting tabs. The pins can be a PIA, mostly the passenger side pin because it has less room. I used a long pair of needle nose pliers to get them started and it made it much easiers.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,160 Posts
Do it yourself... You'll never gain any confidence in mechanics if you don't take this on.

1. You have Speedy's video. He says and shows it all, including the tools needed with all the appropriate cautions included.

2. Removing the shifter bezel is easy. Make sure you have the right tools to do the specific tasks.

3. Don't be afraid of it! It is truly easy and you will feel really good after you finish it. Follow the directions carefully, have the right tools, and just go do it.

I installed mine with a laptop cued up to the video. It doesn't get any easier than that.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Get some plastic pry bars and check out speedysgarage.net for a how to video. It took me and a friend about an hour to do it. It helps if you can get under the car, I have a lift, but it is not necessary. Good luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had mine out many times I can have the shifter out in around 15 minutes now!
It is easy and you should not worry about breaking anything!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Installed the Hurst Mopar carbon fiber short throw myself. Was piece of cake, including getting the two front pins out from up top. I looked at speedys video as well before attempting. The plugs for the Ipod and lights can be a bit tricky to undo, but other than that it took a couple of hrs. Well worth it, looks great and shifts are 100 times better than stock! Good luck with the install......

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. :bigthumb:

I did it on Sunday took us 2 hours, took our time too. I had some help from a nephew of mine just want to have some support just incase. It was 95 degrees here but found a cool place to do it. Went down to the lakefront Lake MI. & the mouth of the Milwaukee River here. Park under a huge bridge that crosses the river. Check the temp in the overhead console said it was 78 degrees there.

I took all the tools that were suggested in the vids. & instructions plus daparrothead's needle nose pliers. The pick in speedy's video too. The pins were easy to get out and put back in with the pick and needle nose pliers. I thought they would be real hard to do. I dropped the passenger pin the first time I tried to get it in, I had a telescoping magnet wand. My nephew used to get the pin from under the car.

While we were down by the river we watched some boats going up and down the river.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
It was easy. The only problem I experienced was getting the original handle to slide into the hole in the Hurst base. I ground down the handle about 1/32 all the way around. Voila... Fit like a glove.

I thought the instructions in the box were cry easy to follow. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The pins are what I'm most worried about. Is there a pin for each side I have to ease out, then reuse those pins on the Hurst shifter? How do I exactly remove them, I know there is a long metal pin like piece with a black clip on it. Do I simply push the clip away from me, and pull out the pin?
However, the two people who I was counting on helping me are busy with personal stuff and can't help right now. I understand, life is busy, but i am SO Impatient to get this thing installed.

I will gather the tools I need when I get a free night this week and attempt it. :gulp

TWO questions please:

1.) The Speedy video talked about a certain lbs you need to torque the bolts. How will I know how many pounds I am using? Should I just make sure it's snug on the plastic pieces and stiff on the metal??

2.) On the actual leather shifter boot that is visable from the outside, Speedy's hands got cut up trying to remove some retaining piece. Do I put that back on when I have installed the Hurst shifter or just zip tie the boot to the shifter?

3.) I noticed two pieces of dynamat with the shifter,, and I'm assuming this is to deaden the sound from the tranny. Where do I put these two pieces at?

THANKS!

·
Banned
903 Posts
The pins, There is a tab made on to the end of each pin, you have to rotate the pins to get the lock tabs to release.

The boot, The metal retainer that holds the shifter boot to the stock shifter is not reused. The shifter should have came with a rubber piece that slips over the shifter, you put it on and slip the leather boot over it and tie-wrap the boot to it. If you are using the shifter shaft that comes with the kit there is no problem, if you are using one of the pistol grip handles you will have to use a small file and open the rubber grommet up so it will go over the shift handle.

The Dyna Mat, put it on the linkage at each end around the knuckles. Mine came with an instruction sheet showing where to install the dynamat.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The pins, There is a tab made on to the end of each pin, you have to rotate the pins to get the lock tabs to release.

The boot, The metal retainer that holds the shifter boot to the stock shifter is not reused. The shifter should have came with a rubber piece that slips over the shifter, you put it on and slip the leather boot over it and tie-wrap the boot to it. If you are using the shifter shaft that comes with the kit there is no problem, if you are using one of the pistol grip handles you will have to use a small file and open the rubber grommet up so it will go over the shift handle.

The Dyna Mat, put it on the linkage at each end around the knuckles. Mine came with an instruction sheet showing where to install the dynamat.
I think I understand the pins, basically you roll the lock tabs with a tool (like a needle nose plyer) and move them until they are ready to just slide out completely? Do you just move them to get them unlocked and moving?

By putting the dynamat at each end of the knuckes, do you mean the ones closer to the pins, or the other direction? The pictures in the box are zoomed in too much, so it makes it hard to see where it is in relation to the area worked on.

Also there is this neoprene isolator, did you use that too? Looks like you just put it between the handle and the end of the shifter.

Thank you for your help btw.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.