Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hurst Shifter Install Question

1262 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  beepahh
Hey guys,

I am hoping to benefit from the experience of someone who has completed the install of the Hurst 6 speed shifter.

I started the project today and got through most of it. I have the unit installed and the locking pins in place. The problem is when I go to install the metal cover I cannot get the mounting bolt at the rear of the Hurst unit to align with the stock hole (approximately 1/4" off). The directions do not say anything about enlarging the stock hole not to mention that it seems to be some heavy duty steel so I would rather not have to do that.

Anyone have any suggestions about what might be wrong and/or an easy fix that does not involve me drilling or cutting the factory cover? Thanks.

Here are some pics that show what the situation is:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,713 Posts
I put mine in around 8 months ago and I had the same problem. The problem is that I can't remember exactly what I did to deal with it. I do know that cutting is not necessary.... so don't cut anything.

You may want to visit Speedy's Garage and look at his video about the install. I think he makes mention of the fix in there.

Don't cut anything.... really.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
just losen up the fasteners on everything. and masage it into place. I had the same issue also just took a little time and a little love to get it there..

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone. I left work a little early tonight and managed to finish the installation so I get to drive it to work tomorrow. After a short test drive tonight I agree that the Hurst unit is much better than stock.

· Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
546 Posts
listen before you tighten up the back stud put a rubber gasket or a piece of the dynmat over the stud to elliminate vibration see you used it on linkage already...also let the cover and stud align it will be approx 1/8" off center to the driver side in neutral. also use the rubber strips between the shifter base handle and shifting block have fun a super combo

oh did you have the 70 upgrade done ? did min last week

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.