Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback from Challenger owners. What draws you to or away from our current shifter offerings? Is it the form, function or both? Are you only interested in shorter, more precise throws or is the classic look part of the appeal for you? Would you like to see an updated stick and knob design - something other than the current chrome stick and white ball or black pistol grip? Is the option of reusing your factory shift knob important to you? Let us know.

Our current offerings for the '09+ Challenger:

Billet/Plus Shifter w. Classic Ball

Billet/Plus Black Pistol Grip Shifter

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to ask the community for some input. I would be happy to share with you my thoughts with the hope of contributing to some form of improvement and increased market share.

I have an '11 SRT8 with the M6. It is currently equipped with the Barton shifter.
First of all, I think that hands-down, Hurst "should have" been the first and only option for this classic muscle car. It just seems right. However, when it came time for me to make the purchase, I hesitated once I started reading so many reviews of the Hurst offering (about 2 years ago). I was actually very surprised and disappointed to see how others were complaining of the quality issues. I think without a doubt, Barton swiftly capitalized on this opportunity and developed what most would consider a substantially better product. It seems to me that Hurst has been trying to play catch-up ever since.

I'm not exactly sure why Hurst didn't see this development and pounce a whole lot quicker. That was their fatal flaw. There have been many, many forum threads on this issue. Perhaps one of the advantages of a small businesses is their ability to very quickly adapt and respond to market demands. However, there are many advantages of being a "larger business" also. My advice to you would be to make this a "case study" and learn all you can from it. Be more agile and quick to respond to validated issues. Otherwise, in today's market someone else will (and did).
I do like my Barton shifter. Ironically, I have a nice Hurst "T" handle installed on it. But I think Hurst should have nailed this one a long time ago.

Best wishes..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Give us a real pistol grip, just like the original. Why mess with perfection? I had one in my 71 Cuda and I've never had a better shifter feel. Tight short throws? Why would you want anything else?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had the white ball. It was alright, and I did like the retro look, however I quickly changed it out to the old wood looking pistol grip.

Honestly, I wish the hurst was a bit more firm. It allows so much slop, and doesnt compare to some shifters I had for my 99' Cobra.

When that was in gear, it didn't allow the wiggling back and forth. I hate that part of this setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the hurst mopar pistol grip shifter in my 2013. I ordered my car with the option brand new and it was dealer installed before I picked it up. My biggest complaint with the shifter is the excessive amount of noise transmitted through the cabin. Being an engineer, I wondered why NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) wasn't examined in more detail when this product was developed. The small piece of material that came with the shifter has really done nothing to reduce the sound. The hurst pistol grip shifter in my 74 'Cuda doesn't transmit anywhere near the noise this shifter does. The shifter also has a notchy feel to it where my vintage hurst is smooth and fluid. From comments I've read concerning the Barton shifters, they are smoother than the hurst and don't transmit the vibration. I've also read about the shifter shafts breaking on hurst's due to the o-ring groove design where the shaft goes into the body. Are there any solutions that hurst will provide to both existing and new customers concerning NVH for their products?

Attachments

Reactions: RobF and ygbsm

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the hurst mopar pistol grip shifter in my 2013. I ordered my car with the option brand new and it was dealer installed before I picked it up. My biggest complaint with the shifter is the excessive amount of noise transmitted through the cabin. Being an engineer, I wondered why NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) wasn't examined in more detail when this product was developed. The small piece of material that came with the shifter has really done nothing to reduce the sound. The hurst pistol grip shifter in my 74 'Cuda doesn't transmit anywhere near the noise this shifter does. The shifter also has a notchy feel to it where my vintage hurst is smooth and fluid. From comments I've read concerning the Barton shifters, they are smoother than the hurst and don't transmit the vibration. I've also read about the shifter shafts breaking on hurst's due to the o-ring groove design where the shaft goes into the body. Are there any solutions that hurst will provide to both existing and new customers concerning NVH for their products?

I would buy an automatic pistol grip shifter for the ZF 8-speed that looks just like the one that 74 'Cuda has in his car.

I do not care for the finger grooves on the current A8 Hurst pistol grip, nor the fact that you have to use the trigger to shift in manual mode.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I prefer the classic look....White ball as well. I also think you could sell a metric shit ton of hurst shifter handles with the white ball option as a direct bolt on to the factory shifter...Throw in one with the fake looking wood grain pistol grip too.

Some peeps like the factory shifter but want a classic look.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Not old enough to know what the nostalgic look is, but I prefer the ball too.

Then again, I have an automatic, so I wouldn't use either on it for risk of looking like I'm trying to pass off as a manual.

I'd love an old school T shaped shifter...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,
I hesitated once I started reading so many reviews of the Hurst offering (about 2 years ago). I was actually very surprised and disappointed to see how others were complaining of the quality issues.
... But I think Hurst should have nailed this one a long time ago.

Best wishes..
We appreciate the feedback! While there were issues experienced with a small amount of the initially released shifters, we have since revised the design of the shifter to address those concerns. Additionally, to show that we stand behind the quality of our shifters we now provide a Lifetime Limited Warranty on all of the shifters that we offer.

I have the hurst mopar pistol grip shifter in my 2013. I ordered my car with the option brand new and it was dealer installed before I picked it up. My biggest complaint with the shifter is the excessive amount of noise transmitted through the cabin. Are there any solutions that hurst will provide to both existing and new customers concerning NVH for their products?
While we were contracted to develop the Mopar Pistol Grip, we did have to work within the parameters that were set forth by Chrysler. This means that your experience with the the Mopar Pistol Grip shifter would vary from one of our Billet/Plus units. In regards to NVH, when replacing the stock unit with a shifter with shorter shifts some increase in NVH can be expected as a result. Although sensitivity to NVH will vary from person to person, we have not received a large amount of feedback regarding NVH with our shifters. However, in a couple instances we have heard of some customers using dyna-mat or similar material to address their NVH concerns. Feel free to give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we would be more than happy to help find a solution for your vehicle.

I had the white ball. It was alright, and I did like the retro look, however I quickly changed it out to the old wood looking pistol grip.

Honestly, I wish the hurst was a bit more firm. It allows so much slop, and doesnt compare to some shifters I had for my 99' Cobra.

When that was in gear, it didn't allow the wiggling back and forth. I hate that part of this setup.
Thank you taking the time to provide your feedback. Although it is difficult to compare the transmission from the '99 Cobra to the one found in the newer Challengers, there shouldn't an excessive amount of slop. Give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we can assist you in troubleshooting your issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for hearing the feedback you requested, and trying to address the concerns that were brought to your attention. Its not a common practice anymore. :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would like to see a shifter stick, that was similar to the stick, that was used back when Hurst was an OEM supplier. Back when they were round and only flat in the area that said "Hurst".

The flat sided sticks just scream, aftermarket. I feel the same way about your competitors offering.

You will also need to beat Barton on price, by maybe $100. Being price competitive, won't do it. The Barton name has captured the market.

Vintage, round stick example, posted below.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
While we were contracted to develop the Mopar Pistol Grip, we did have to work within the parameters that were set forth by Chrysler. This means that your experience with the the Mopar Pistol Grip shifter would vary from one of our Billet/Plus units. In regards to NVH, when replacing the stock unit with a shifter with shorter shifts some increase in NVH can be expected as a result. Although sensitivity to NVH will vary from person to person, we have not received a large amount of feedback regarding NVH with our shifters. However, in a couple instances we have heard of some customers using dyna-mat or similar material to address their NVH concerns. Feel free to give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we would be more than happy to help find a solution for your vehicle.
The dealer installed the piece of dyno-mat that came with the shifter when it was installed new. Honestly, it's still very noisy. Is more dynomat required than what originally came in my kit 5 years ago? Where does it need to be placed for optimal NVH reduction? Based off of your statement above, I interpret it as saying there is a difference between the billet plus unit and the Mopar unit in terms of NVH production. Is the main source of vibration from the bushing on the shifter that I've circled below? If so, are the bushings on the billet plus shifters made out of a different material that is less susceptible to NVH than the Mopar units? Are they interchangeable? If so, is this bushing available for purchase from Hurst?

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for hearing the feedback you requested, and trying to address the concerns that were brought to your attention. Its not a common practice anymore. :)
Thank you. We are glad to be here and want to ensure that our customers are happy with the products that we offer. :icon7:

The dealer installed the piece of dyno-mat that came with the shifter when it was installed new. Honestly, it's still very noisy. Is more dynomat required than what originally came in my kit 5 years ago? Where does it need to be placed for optimal NVH reduction?
We have four points on the shifter that we recommend placing the included Dynamat highlighted in the photo below. Additionally, if you find that the Dynamat was insufficient in eliminating NVH we do offer a neoprene isolator kit with our Billet/Plus Shifters. However, the isolators should not be installed if the vehicle will be used in any form of racing and/or competitive driving, as overall strength and durability as well as shift quality and feel may be diminished. If you have any questions about these solutions give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we will be more than happy to help.

Dynamat application points:

Image of the referenced neoprene isolators:

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
My recomendation - I had the Billet II Hurst shifter - did all the dynamat installation and even put a neoprene washer on the rear mount that attaches to the tunnel cover...this was a unit from Q3 of 2011 and it would buzz and rattle under acceleration.

Buy a competitor's shifter and study it - there's a long way to go to improve NVH still.

When you have to hold onto the handle to stop the buzzing and spend ~ $500 for it; that's not a great value for what you get.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would buy an automatic pistol grip shifter for the ZF 8-speed that looks just like the one that 74 'Cuda has in his car.

I do not care for the finger grooves on the current A8 Hurst pistol grip, nor the fact that you have to use the trigger to shift in manual mode.
We appreciate the design suggestion. However, we would like to note that you should not need to pull the trigger while in manual shift mode. If you are experiencing that issue please give us a call at 707-544-4761 so that we can see what we can do.

My recomendation - I had the Billet II Hurst shifter - did all the dynamat installation and even put a neoprene washer on the rear mount that attaches to the tunnel cover...this was a unit from Q3 of 2011 and it would buzz and rattle under acceleration.
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasurable experience with our shifter, although we would like to say thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are making sure to forward everyone's suggestions and experiences to our Engineering Team so that we may deliver the best products possible.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Great idea to ask the community for feedback! I am also one of the few who immediately got a Hurst shifter because its the common sense route to go with a muscle car, unfortunately after few months of dealing with the vibration and noise I ended up just selling it and getting the Barton shifter as well. Loved the look of the Hurst engraving on the side of the ball.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Once again, we'd like to thank everyone that has jumped in and provided their input. Receiving totally unbiased feedback from hardcore owners and enthusiasts is truly the best form of R&D available. We aren't here just to receive a pat on the back and your honest, constructive responses are extremely helpful.

That said, we have made several revisions to our Billet/Plus Challenger shifter over the years in order to address the feedback that we have received from customers and especially ChallengerTalk forum members. Most recently, we have updated the rear bushing which has dramatically reduced NVH over the bushings that were previously used. The older style bushings are black and our new bushings are red. We urge any customers that have the older black bushing and feel that it transmits too much transmission sound into the cab of the vehicle, to please contact our customer support team at (707) 544-4761 so that we can send you a new, updated bushing free of charge.

That said, if you are running our Billet/Plus shifter and your Challenger is primarily a street-driven vehicle, you can further reduce the amount of transmission noise heard inside of the car by reusing the factory rear mount. The factory rear mount is softer and will absorb more transmission resonance, resulting in a quieter ride.

We saw a mention earlier in this thread about a simple replacement stick for the manual Challenger, rather than a complete shifter. This is something that we do offer in the form of a Pistol-Grip replacement handle (Part #1531001). Would any of you like to see the classic white ball as an option as well?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts