Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Hurst Shifters, we spend a great deal of time designing and engineering the best performance products on the market. We're starting this thread as a way to display our up and coming performance parts and get your input before they hit the shelf.

http://bit.ly/2Qz7tom

We take all of our client's recommendations, critiques and suggestions seriously and welcome your opinion. As a Challenger owner, this is your chance to tell us what you want from your next performance component.

http://bit.ly/2Qz7tom

Please subscribe to this thread and come back regularly, leave a comment or suggestion and you just may find your idea on the next Hurst product.

Questions? Please call 707-544-4761 or visit www.hurst-shifters.com for additional application and product information.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hurst Shifters, I am glad that you asked!

In case you missed a recent thread I posted entitled "Hurst Shifter Handle Fiasco", PLEASE get all your phone agents on the same page for the A8 Shifter Handle. Our Trannies come from the Factory with an "electronic lockout". "One gear at a time" in Manual mode. Your handle design has a "mechanical lockout" that makes you have to depress the trigger for every downshift. Obviously....a mechanical lockout on top of an electronic lockout is redundant and unnecessary.

Recently, I had to purchase another Handle and was issued a RMA# and will be refunded when the old one arrives. (it arrives tomorrow to you) The NEW handle acts the SAME as the old one! It took Hurst 2 weeks to figure out what to do for me.

Finally I was sent a different "lower trigger" and this fixed it perfectly. I SINCERELY hope that a new customer will NOT have to go through what I went through!

As for Quality control on the new Handle you sent I observed the following:

Every screw on both sides of the Handle were loose and could be moved with putting your finger on the screw and twisting you finger.

There was not one drop of grease or lubrication in the Handle. (1 year old Handle came with grease)

I was VERY tempted to go with another shifter but I love the Shifter Handle so much that I toughed it out. I am glad that I did, it looks perfect for our Mopars. With the new "lower trigger"...the operation is MUCH smoother than before.

Anyway...thanks for both asking and listening. I think it should come Factory installed myself. Hopefully, future products will be equally awesome.

Gene T:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Somehow...I am NOT surprised that Hurst has not commented on this......not even a peep.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What do I have to do to get the Trigger Mechanism Upgrade that Solidman is talking about?
I have the A8 Hurst shifter and like it, but I need the updated trigger mechanism.
Also, your website has really gone to junk. I used to see things like the wood insert options for the shifter and now they seem to be gone. I got the black wood and really like them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ignacio at Hurst was very helpful to me in resolving this. Call him at 707-540-9435 and if he does not answer leave him a VM and he will call you back. Hurst actually made a "lower trigger kit" for the A8 Shift Handle. I am hoping Hurst chimes in on this since they made it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A simple search of this site would tell Hurst engineers what people don't like about Hurst shifters. They will also simultaneously learn what people love about the competition.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
As far as your manual shifter assemblies go, you’ve got a loooong way to go. Suggestion, start from scratch. No seriously. The hurst manual shifter assembly is junk. Hint, check out Barton. I’ve had both of them in my car. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How do Hurst shifters compare to Barton shifters? Is there any advantages of going with Hurst?
I can only speak for the performance of our Hurst Billet Plus shifter. We worked closely with a group of Dodge SRT engineers when designing and engineering our shifters for the 2009-2017 Challengers. We have had long-term working relationships with a number of vehicle manufacturers to ensure that our Billet Plus shifter provides for an increase in performance over stock (in this case our Billet Plus reduces shift throw by over 30%), fits the application as if it was a factory installed product, and is a quality product made in the USA that we can stand behind. The Billet Plus for the Challenger is made from billet stainless steel and includes urethane mounting bushings to help isolate vibration from the powertrain and the shift assembly allows not only the use of a number of Hurst shift knobs and shift sticks but a variety of aftermarket options as well.

Hurst Shifters, I am glad that you asked!

In case you missed a recent thread I posted entitled "Hurst Shifter Handle Fiasco", PLEASE get all your phone agents on the same page for the A8 Shifter Handle. Our Trannies come from the Factory with an "electronic lockout". "One gear at a time" in Manual mode. Your handle design has a "mechanical lockout" that makes you have to depress the trigger for every downshift. Obviously....a mechanical lockout on top of an electronic lockout is redundant and unnecessary.

Recently, I had to purchase another Handle and was issued a RMA# and will be refunded when the old one arrives. (it arrives tomorrow to you) The NEW handle acts the SAME as the old one! It took Hurst 2 weeks to figure out what to do for me.

Finally I was sent a different "lower trigger" and this fixed it perfectly. I SINCERELY hope that a new customer will NOT have to go through what I went through!

As for Quality control on the new Handle you sent I observed the following:

Every screw on both sides of the Handle were loose and could be moved with putting your finger on the screw and twisting you finger.

There was not one drop of grease or lubrication in the Handle. (1 year old Handle came with grease)

I was VERY tempted to go with another shifter but I love the Shifter Handle so much that I toughed it out. I am glad that I did, it looks perfect for our Mopars. With the new "lower trigger"...the operation is MUCH smoother than before.

Anyway...thanks for both asking and listening. I think it should come Factory installed myself. Hopefully, future products will be equally awesome.

Gene T:)
I had not seen your recent post and after reading it my apologies to you. I'd like to thank you for having the patience and diligence in helping us correct this issue. It seems that some clarification on this shift handle is definitely in order. After working closely with our engineering team I recently became aware of the details of the shift handle, the issues that have been found and what we are doing to rectify the matter.

There is no mechanical lockout designed into the Hurst Shift Handle. When depressed the trigger depresses the factory trigger rod located within the shift handle, same as the factory.

The issue has to due with a plastic "gate plate" within the factory shift assembly. In a small percentage of applications the lockout trigger can rub on this gate plate and get jammed.

This was not intended with the design of our replacement shift handle and for those that have had this issue arise we have a remedy. As stated by Gene we have developed a revised lower trigger that puts additional pre-load on the trigger shaft to to keep it from rubbing. This new lower trigger can be had by calling our Support Team at 707-544-4761. We are also updating the trigger assembly on this shifter at the factory.

I was also informed that there should be a small amount of grease in the shift handle to help extend its use.

Gene, once again I'd like to thank you for help in making Hurst provide a better product for our clients. This info is invaluable to us, you're the owners, you're the ones that put our products to the test. If there's an issue and our product fails or doesn't meet your expectations we want to know about it, we'd like a chance to make it better.

What do I have to do to get the Trigger Mechanism Upgrade that Solidman is talking about?
I have the A8 Hurst shifter and like it, but I need the updated trigger mechanism.
Also, your website has really gone to junk. I used to see things like the wood insert options for the shifter and now they seem to be gone. I got the black wood and really like them.
The redesigned lower trigger is availble directly through Hurst. Please give us a call at 707-544-4761 and our Support Team can get one out for you.

We recently launched a brand new website so there's a chance that they may not have been placed on the site when it went live, but I was able to find them now, Hurst part #1539000.

Ignacio at Hurst was very helpful to me in resolving this. Call him at 707-540-9435 and if he does not answer leave him a VM and he will call you back. Hurst actually made a "lower trigger kit" for the A8 Shift Handle. I am hoping Hurst chimes in on this since they made it.
Ignacio is a great Tech, he's been at this for a while and knows his stuff. I'm glad he could provide the level of service that was needed

- Jason @ Hurst

·
Registered
413 Posts
Jason thanks so much for the excellent reply! I must admit after this much time with zero comment I was very disappointed. However, none of us are perfect.....and this should set the record straight. I am glad when a bad experience produces good results. You cannot ask for better.

Thanks again for the reply and great info. You have restored my confidence in Hurst.

Have a great day...........Gene T:)

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
How do Hurst shifters compare to Barton shifters? Is there any advantages of going with Hurst?

How would they know? They’ve been asking for feedback for the last few years ever since Hurst was bought out. But they refuse to check their competition after it was suggested on more that several occasions. Notice my post was ignored again by the OP. Theirs response is pretty much the same every time.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
How would they know? They’ve been asking for feedback for the last few years ever since Hurst was bought out. But they refuse to check their competition after it was suggested on more that several occasions. Notice my post was ignored again by the OP. Theirs response is pretty much the same every time.
Yeah everyone on this forum that I have seen responses from say Barton is a much better product, and it's from people that have owned both. That is my next upgrade so I have been checking pricing too and Barton is close to $100 less. So better product that costs less... I have to say I'm sold on Barton as of now. I was starting to sway when he stated they worked with the SRT engineers thinking maybe the new product has improved, but based on reviews it seems Barton still has it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would have to agree there has been no direct response to your questions. Hopefully they will step up and "dare to compare". I cannot speak to the Manual shifters.......but I personally love the A8 Pistol Grip Handle now that it has been fixed.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
OEM, Hurst, Barton, side by side.

Reactions: McCloud

·
Registered
139 Posts
We did see your post and appreciate the truthfulness of your response. You stated your experience or opinion and we take that to heart. Whether good or bad we take all recommendations seriously and for the record, we weren't ignoring you.

- Jason @ Hurst

1 - 19 of 19 Posts