Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have done research on the topic, and I have tried to trouble shoot my issue I'm having with my car. So I know this car I bought has a hurst short throw shifter, and I know that a member had been making a fix kit for the shifter, but there doesn't seem to be any more word on production. I have taken off the cover and looked at the bolts that hold the shifter in place, there is large amounts of play side to side and slight play forward and back in my shifter. This is the situation when in gear and when in neutral. I can drive the car fine, but I would like to get this fixed. My mechanic said I should take it to dodge and get a diagnosis, but that sounds expensive. The reason this is concerning me now is sometimes it doesn't want to go into gear, and I have to force it into first. Even more alarming, sometimes when I'm coming to a stop, the transmission doesn't allow me to take it out of gear unless I really force it. The shifter is still notchy sometimes which is common for hurst shifters from what I read, but I think the play in my shifter is causing these issues to surface. The car has 88k miles, the play is coming from below where the shifter is attached to the black piece on the bottom that holds the pistol grip. If anyone has insight on what I should do, please let me know, and I'm sorry if this is a common post, I can't seem to find answers for my specific issue

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
First thing you need to do is take it apart and inspect everything. Easy to do. Lots of videos on the inter web.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing you need to do is take it apart and inspect everything. Easy to do. Lots of videos on the inter web.
Will do, I've been busy with finals and its now snowing on Long Island, ironically it hasn't been giving me much trouble since I made this post...thinking about buying the barton shifter, though I really like the look and feel of the stock pistol grip

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Will do, I've been busy with finals and its now snowing on Long Island, ironically it hasn't been giving me much trouble since I made this post...thinking about buying the barton shifter, though I really like the look and feel of the stock pistol grip

You can still use the stock pistol grip with the Barton.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If anyone has insight on what I should do, please let me know, and I'm sorry if this is a common post, I can't seem to find answers for my specific issue
We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with one of our shifters. While there was a small amount of these shifters in the initially released batch that experienced shifting issues, the number of affected units is very little. That being said, give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we would be more than happy to help troubleshoot your issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with one of our shifters. While there was a small amount of these shifters in the initially released batch that experienced shifting issues, the number of affected units is very little. That being said, give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we would be more than happy to help troubleshoot your issue.
Hi thank you for your concern, I actually have a whole new issue as of new years day! So my father went to put the car into first gear, and the shifter has totally broken, underneath the shift boot, the black metal box that holds the base of the pistol grip shifter has broken off of the lower half of the assembly. There is a thick metal tube that goes into the bottom of the black piece. I wish I knew how to attach photos I was in awe. Never before have I seen this happen my father is in disbelief as well. I called customer service and they can't help me since I don't have any reciept on hand and theres no part online to replace the metal bar with.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Damn son, that’s messed up
And what’s worst is Hurst demanding proof of purchase to stand behind their product.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn son, that’s messed up
And what’s worst is Hurst demanding proof of purchase to stand behind their product.
Its unreal, I ordered the barton but my poor car has been stranded since new years day and with the ridiculous snowfall we just got I doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon :frown: I wasn't aware hurst was made in china now, I won't buy anymore products from hurst after my experience with their chinesium shifter!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
So I guess this is the only time you do want a vendor to give you the shaft....shifter shaft that is. :spineyes:

It is pretty amazing how that shifter failed though but not surprising if the material and manufacturing is sourced overseas. :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
There is a kit from G and K Performance I bought more than a few years back. I don't know if that was the "fix kit" you're talking about, or if it's still available. I can tell you that it worked great! It's very frustrating buying something and only to have the product fail in a relatively short time. Whats even worse is that it appears manufacturer hasn't changed any of the design flaws. Good Luck..

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi thank you for your concern, I actually have a whole new issue as of new years day! So my father went to put the car into first gear, and the shifter has totally broken, underneath the shift boot, the black metal box that holds the base of the pistol grip shifter has broken off of the lower half of the assembly. There is a thick metal tube that goes into the bottom of the black piece. I wish I knew how to attach photos I was in awe. Never before have I seen this happen my father is in disbelief as well. I called customer service and they can't help me since I don't have any reciept on hand and theres no part online to replace the metal bar with.
Hi NickMP16,

Hurst is the leading performance shifter manufacturer in the world and we receive a high volume of requests daily. Because of this and as part of their procedure, our customer service team is required to request a copy of your proof of purchase not only because it is part of our warranty policy, but more importantly in order to determine that what you have is a genuine Hurst shifter. Counterfeit Hurst products do exist and we have come across them in the past. That said, we are not denying that what you have is a Hurst shifter and we want to do everything in our power to make things right. We are willing to go against our own return policy in order to do this and would like to have your shifter sent back for inspection. We will, of course, pay for the freight and have a new unit sent out for you to replace it with. This way, we will be able to determine exactly what we are looking at and what could have happened to this specific unit. Please send us a private message with your shipping info so that we can make arrangements for pickup and delivery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi NickMP16,

Hurst is the leading performance shifter manufacturer in the world and we receive a high volume of requests daily. Because of this and as part of their procedure, our customer service team is required to request a copy of your proof of purchase not only because it is part of our warranty policy, but more importantly in order to determine that what you have is a genuine Hurst shifter. Counterfeit Hurst products do exist and we have come across them in the past. That said, we are not denying that what you have is a Hurst shifter and we want to do everything in our power to make things right. We are willing to go against our own return policy in order to do this and would like to have your shifter sent back for inspection. We will, of course, pay for the freight and have a new unit sent out for you to replace it with. This way, we will be able to determine exactly what we are looking at and what could have happened to this specific unit. Please send us a private message with your shipping info so that we can make arrangements for pickup and delivery.
PM sent, thank you

·
Registered
386 Posts
PM sent, thank you
Response sent. Thank you for your reply, NickMP16.

The situation that happened here is not something that we ever want a customer to experience. We are here to do everything in our power to make sure that anyone who purchases one of our shifters is not only completely satisfied, but also proud to be running a product that has been an icon of Mopar performance for decades.

If anyone ever has an issue with the response that they receive from one of our customer support team members, please know that we have supervisory staff and management that are also available to speak with you. We want to resolve any and all customer issues as quickly and satisfactorily as possible. Our number one goal is customer satisfaction and if you have an issue with a Hurst product, we want to know about it and will do everything in our power to make things right.

In regards to some of the things mentioned earlier in this thread, we have made several revisions to our Billet/Plus Challenger shifter over the years in order to address the feedback that we have received from customers. Most recently, we have updated the rear bushing which has dramatically reduced NVH over the bushing that was previously used. Our new bushings are red and we urge any customers that have the older black bushing and feel it transmits too much transmission sound into the vehicle cab, to please contact our customer service department at (707) 544-4761 and we will send you a new, updated bushing free of charge. Along those lines, if you are running this shifter on a street application and would like to further reduce the transmission sound in the vehicle cab, we recommend that you reuse the factory rear mount, which is softer, and will absorb the transmission resonance resulting in a quieter ride.

Additionally and despite what has been said, Hurst shifters are not made in China. There are component level parts of these units that are sourced from China and/or other countries, and must be listed as so on packaging. All of our shifters are fully designed, engineered, assembled and tested in our production facility here in the USA. Regardless of where any piece of our products are produced, we will stand behind them with a lifetime limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship to the original purchaser. We are with all of you and with the same goal in mind, improved performance and enjoyment. Again, if at any time you need our assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at (707) 544-4761.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I actually took my Hurst shifter back out of my car, put the factory shifter back in. Tried to sell it on craigslist, no luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I swapped out my stock shifter for a Barton, after my dealership replaced the tranny for 2nd gear grinding. The Barton is rock solid, smooth, and shorter throw. It has settled in, and performs perfectly. No more gear misses, period. The $474 price tag sounds expensive but, once you've pulled the trigger for a Barton, you'll be tickled pink. I also swapped out the plastic Shifter Cup Isolator Bushing for an AMP Bronze one. While I was at it, I installed a Skip-Shift Eliminator as well. All money was well spent, IMO.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
I swapped out my stock shifter for a Barton, after my dealership replaced the tranny for 2nd gear grinding. The Barton is rock solid, smooth, and shorter throw. It has settled in, and performs perfectly. No more gear misses, period. The $474 price tag sounds expensive but, once you've pulled the trigger for a Barton, you'll be tickled pink. I also swapped out the plastic Shifter Cup Isolator Bushing for an AMP Bronze one. While I was at it, I installed a Skip-Shift Eliminator as well. All money was well spent, IMO.
I take it you did the clutch delay valve delete as well?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts