Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Hurst short throw 6 speed manual shifter kit in my 2013 challenger. I used the same change rod and boots and put everything else back the way it was. It works great but there is a lot of noise in the car now. Mostly exhaust noise being that it is aftermarket as well. Does anyone have any solutions on how to make bit quiet again my car? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
I see you new here. Welcome. Use the "search" feature and search for "hurst shifter noise" or something similar. You'll get a boat load of info. Good luck challenger buddy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
you can use dynomat till you are purple.. plastic washer leather washer ect ect ect.. you WILL NOT make is completely quite i will promise you that. it is a poor design and until barton or mgw or someone comes out with something this is what we have to use.

i have one and i have the throw rod that g&k perfomance makes.. it will not be quite.

chris

Reactions: shiftintohigh

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
you can use dynomat till you are purple.. plastic washer leather washer ect ect ect.. you WILL NOT make is completely quite i will promise you that. it is a poor design and until barton or mgw or someone comes out with something this is what we have to use.

i have one and i have the throw rod that g&k perfomance makes.. it will not be quite.

chris
I don't think it is realistic to expect a quiet short throw shifter without some compromise to the feel - which is outstanding IMO with the current Hurst shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
STOCK rear nut that holds the linkage to the black cover. Yes i know it is not as strong as the hurst one, however the design of the stock one is rubber and cancels out a lot of noise. slide it off the stock on and onto the hurst one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
STOCK rear nut that holds the linkage to the black cover. Yes i know it is not as strong as the hurst one, however the design of the stock one is rubber and cancels out a lot of noise. slide it off the stock on and onto the hurst one.
This will help GREATLY. I went back and used the stock shifter bushing and nut, reapplied some extra dynomat to the top and bottom of the tunnel cover, and Ta-Da...HUGE improvement. Almost stock noise level. Any ambient noise (window, radio, engine!) will cover the remaining small shifter noise and you will not know it is there. I do not have the G & K upgrade at this time.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I don't think it is realistic to expect a quiet short throw shifter without some compromise to the feel - which is outstanding IMO with the current Hurst shifter.

i never said anything about expecting it to be quiet.. although by definition a short throw shifter is just that SHORT THROW... which in theory is just supposed to shorten the throw of the linkage.. the problem is the alum forks and such of the shifter act like a HUGE TUNING FORK and amplifies the harmonics..

as for the barton.. they claim it will be much quieter.. i will say it will be a MUCH BETTER MADE PC that i can promise.. as for quiet.. we won't know till someone has one in a car. and so far they arn't available yet.. but when they are i will have one and get rid of the hurst ...

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Barton shifters are the real deal people. I can assure you it will be worth the wait. Go to the Barton website and see how much better these American made shifters are compared to the Chinese Hurst.

I've been told by the owner of Barton that they are working on making a quiet yet solid shifter for our cars which will debut in a few weeks.

I had a Hurst and got rid of it real quickly, I was appauled at how low quality everything was especially considering the price.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
I also have been in touch with Dave from Barton just yesterday. In his words the "final touches are being added, check back in three weeks". Yay.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Barton said it was a few weeks from release two years ago..

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Barton said it was a few weeks from release two years ago..
Wrong. We've been trading emails for approx 6 months now and every time we correspond they get closer and closer to "the date". So I have no reason to doubt them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
to the OP , i had mine in and out of the car 3xs , i put dyna mat on both sides of the cover and as someone else said, what a huge diff this makes sound wise, very close to stock shifter noise... course i am half deaf , ha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts