Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Blaming Dodge is a wuss move. The way I see it, Hurst failed to do their job.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Eventually the "Proud" stance they took on making the cars "Unhackable" will drive away a fair portion of customers.

Most performance guys like to work on their cars and tune them.
If you can't do it with a 11+ SRT... then you just buy an older car that you can.
Why waste money on something you can't touch. :notallthere:

I'm betting a fair number of those who already bought a 2011, assumed it would be hacked eventually. $0.02
If that never happens... will they keep it, or go back and find a 2010 to build up?
Who knows :dunno:

I just don't see what the Company gains by building something you can't customize.
Goes against every principle that hot rod'ing has been built on, since the 1st kid blew by a horse in his Model-T.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So, at what point do they stop trying to HACK the chip and just REPLACE the chip with a homebrew?

Once there are enough 2011's on the road without remaining warranty to worry about?

Or isn't that possible?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
We are buying Dodge's product, they can do what they want with it, but I understand why people are upset though. However, they are under no obligation to making hackable software so people can go faster. Tons of people buy these cars, throw on a catback and call it a day.

Of course, the speculation around the 2011s computers is so other companies don't tune the car and allow for superchargers, etc. Dodge wants to control that whole market in 2013, so that people have to pay the extra money for a top of the line, blown 392 Challenger.

Again not right, but they have the choice to do what they want as a company. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I never buy another one if this continues.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
So, at what point do they stop trying to HACK the chip and just REPLACE the chip with a homebrew?

Once there are enough 2011's on the road without remaining warranty to worry about?

Or isn't that possible?
they will never stop until it's hacked

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I know this sux for the custom build guys but I doubt this will be the nail in Dodge's coffin.
They really are not under any obligation to ensure their software, firmware, hardware is able to be changed/altered.
Good business sense...probably not...time will tell.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't blame Dodge at all for trying to make their software unhackable.

How many times have you guys read on here of people doing a tune, doing mods, then breaking something (because the car wasn't designed for it) and then going back to the original tune, removing the mods before taking it to Dodge for service.

To me, it's this kind of dishonesty that drives the decision Dodge has made to make it more difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Why are people calling it unhackable? Nothing is impervious to reverse engineering and all it takes is someone with the "want to do it because I can" attitude.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, to me...Hurst blaming Dodge for them going out of business sounds like bullsh*t... and for some people on here to "swear to never buy another Dodge due to this " is the same... Bullsh*t !!! C'mon people lets look at this again...:scratchhead:
First of all, how many "capains of industry ect." are purchasing Hurst cars anyway ? In this economy,not many.
Second...how many are Challengers to begin with ? % ? also not many.
Third...why should Dodge be liable or held accountable for someone wanting to hotrod(modify) their cars ? Hotrodders have been modifying their cars since the GI's came back from WW2 and started "hotrodding" no car manufacturer builds cars especially for them...the owner has to "hotrod", (modify) , or find work arounds...
For everyone that says they wont buy a 2011 Dodge due to the rolling codes,go buy a new Mustang that wont shift and has electrical gremlins or buy Camaro that needs a new motor due to the supercharger blowing it to hell or better yet...go buy a damn Toyota so you can hang with the punks and their big wings and fart can exhausts at the local 7/11.

sorry for the rant but c'mon this is soo stupid,just give Diablo some time and they will figure it out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't blame Dodge at all for trying to make their software unhackable.

How many times have you guys read on here of people doing a tune, doing mods, then breaking something (because the car wasn't designed for it) and then going back to the original tune, removing the mods before taking it to Dodge for service.

To me, it's this kind of dishonesty that drives the decision Dodge has made to make it more difficult.

I would almost put down money on abused warranty claims being a driving factor.

As for me, I own a 2010 and do not have any interest in buying a tuner. My R/T goes plenty fast for me as it is and I'm content with my lifetime warranty :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I for one have always been a Hardcore Mopar fan (there are a few of us on this site). I have nothing but Dodge, jeep, and Plymouth in my yard. I have been very unhappy with my 09. Many many problems with just 28000 miles. I also have a 06 Dodge meggacab that has been a handfull (60000 miles) On the other hand, I have a o1 jeep GC that has 200000 miles on it, and its running on the org spark plugs. I was going to trade for a Boss 302, but I got to thinking. I have lifetime powertrain. Thats how I can stick it to them. Just keep it and let them fix it. Yall talk about the programing. DODGE cant even get it right. If you have a 6-speed that has been flashed and has the dead spot when the gas is pressed. You understand, Get it logged with the dealer and keep on them. I refuse to add any mod to fix there screw up. But it will be fixed! Get mad at people, give them a hard time. Talk about putting it back to stock and then taking it into the shop. So What! Even the import guys do it. Not just Challenger owners. The programming is not so you cant mod it, its so you have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed (Wanna bet)!! Chy once owned the race track (Just tor up the comp) Now they stay on the side line. Look at the test that was done with the modded cars from Hennesy (camaro) Mustang (someone) Challenger ( speed fact) even that car was slow. They could not even get the car together for the photo shoot and test so they sent a slow car to a shootout. The new Hemi is a great power plant. But pound for pound a old 426 will run rings around it if its built sim. Old tech is the way to go. Just think. If a electromagnetic burst happens any time soon. I will not be able to drive my Challenger. But my 68 Hemi Charger will still head down the road. Just a few things to chew on. I am old school. So most on here might not know what I am talking about. Thats Ok. I am not into the 44" wheels and skulls painted on my car. I am into Dog dish hubcaps and points or Mags. And I am not sorry for the rant! :fight:

And as far as Hurst go's, They cant even build a shifter that will hold up for one of these cars, we had to have a smart person on this board to come up with a repair to make it worth getting. On a good note, they did build a great shifter for the old trannys. and I am proud to have them in my Charger and Duster. But had to find them on E-bay. I know let the badmouthing begin. jmho

·
Registered
957 Posts
Muscle cars were MADE to be modified. If this was 1970, it might make sense, but the tradition is there. The reason to buy a challenger is to have a performance american car, and everything that implies. Dodge didn't have to bring it back.

As for phony warranty claims (demodding for warranty work), is that REALLY a huge problem for the bottom line? How many people ACTUALLY strip a supercharger off to cheat a warranty? The number that even put a supercharger on their car can't be more than 3-400 per model year and if 20% of them blow under the warranty period and half those try to sneak it in under warranty, that's really not a huge amount of money dodge would be forking over. Bolt-ons wont blow an engine under the 36k mile warranty period, but bolt-ons don't need hacking either. Chrysler has been fostering the enthusiast mentality for 10 years now with their special edition 1 year cars (SS/T, Rumble Bee, SRT-10, Daytona, Power Wagon, etc.). To then completely turn their back on that enthusiast community is/has soured some people on the brand. Why would a ford gearhead ever even consider a challenger with such little aftermarket support?

Being modifiable doesn't just sell cars to gearheads. The gearheads buy them and modifying them and then regular people see those cool cars and get interested too. It builds hype. Being unmodifiable destroys hype.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Muscle cars were MADE to be modified. If this was 1970, it might make sense, but the tradition is there. The reason to buy a challenger is to have a performance american car, and everything that implies. Dodge didn't have to bring it back.

As for phony warranty claims (demodding for warranty work), is that REALLY a huge problem for the bottom line? How many people ACTUALLY strip a supercharger off to cheat a warranty? The number that even put a supercharger on their car can't be more than 3-400 per model year and if 20% of them blow under the warranty period and half those try to sneak it in under warranty, that's really not a huge amount of money dodge would be forking over. Bolt-ons wont blow an engine under the 36k mile warranty period, but bolt-ons don't need hacking either. Chrysler has been fostering the enthusiast mentality for 10 years now with their special edition 1 year cars (SS/T, Rumble Bee, SRT-10, Daytona, Power Wagon, etc.). To then completely turn their back on that enthusiast community is/has soured some people on the brand. Why would a ford gearhead ever even consider a challenger with such little aftermarket support?

Being modifiable doesn't just sell cars to gearheads. The gearheads buy them and modifying them and then regular people see those cool cars and get interested too. It builds hype. Being unmodifiable destroys hype.
this is not true. In the 392 section you will see that some members have already installed long tubes and not been able to tune away the CEL that results from the O2s detecting a temperature change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts