Dodge Challenger Forum banner

HVAC controls swap

9K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Armoredbugg 
#1 ·
Any calibration required if you swap the HVAC control module?

I have the Performance Pages working on my 8.4 swapped UConnect and want to add the STP button to finish the upgrade.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Just in case someone else ever wonders about the same question, I can confirm that in my 2015 Challenger R/T, swapping the HVAC controls to add the STP button worked flawlessly.

No apparent issues with the climate controls, all the previously existing buttons still work the way they used to, and the STP button works as expected.

Pretty pleased with the whole deal.

#4 ·
Tazer. I started with a car with STP but the 5” UConnect without XM. I added the 8.4 radio after the Tazer and the PP worked so I found buttons at the same time I was finishing the swap.

Am I remembering correctly that you started with a car with the 8.4? And had the UConnect account?

When I bought my car I didn’t care about the pages, but 6 months in I started wishing I had them. Been reading about people adding them since then, but the people that lost sport mode made me give up. After I added the Tazer, I was back to wanting the pages again, so when I found an 8.4 for cheap locally and figured I would give it a shot.

One of the things I read was that if you ever had the UConnect account, you could never get the pages on the radio. I think the problem is that UConnect must send a code via XM that includes both the activation of the PP and the XM radio. I wonder if you were to disconnect your XM antenna and reset your radio, if you would get the pages.

On a side note, I did lose my sport mode function at first. I had seen where you were supposed to activate sport mode before keying in the security code, but I couldn’t get it to activate. Not sure if I needed to start the car first, or if I had an some issue because I had already messed with stuff using the Tazer or what. I also had issues with the radio locking up when I tried to access the performance controls. In the end I turned on the SP drive modes with the Tazer and all was good.

Reactions: Mopar Frank
#6 ·
I thought the issue was the VIN of the car being registered, and if so, swapping radios probably wouldn't do you any good.

My theory is, since there seems to be some kind of issue with having a UConnect account in the past, the hang up must be on their end and not in the car. If so, somehow disconnecting the car from the UConnect people (i.e. disconnecting the XM antenna) might make it possible for the PP's to be displayed on the radio. I know ChallyTatum is working on getting his account purged from their records with the hope he can get the pages, I just thought maybe if the antenna was disconnected it might work as well.

If you have NAV, it is a bigger issue for sure. And you might like having XM, too.

Just an idea.

#8 ·
My buddy with a charger recently added a sport button to his and used the Tazer to activate it. As for STP button, I thought it only pulls up Performances Pages where you then can make changes to drive modes and access launch control? However, I have yet to see anyone get launch control to work on a car did not have it (i.e. STP option) to begin with.

#9 ·
My buddy with a charger recently added a sport button to his and used the Tazer to activate it. As for STP button, I thought it only pulls up Performances Pages where you then can make changes to drive modes and access launch control?
Correct. Goes direct to the Performance Controls screen so you can activate Launch Control in two steps. I wanted it mostly so the 8.4 swap was more complete, but I can see using it someday.

However, I have yet to see anyone get launch control to work on a car did not have it (i.e. STP option) to begin with.
Mine does work as best I can tell until I can do a full test after winter is over, but I did start with the STP option so no new data there.

Funny thing is, the option for the 8.4 was like $695 or something when the car was new. I did the entire swap including an 8.4 bezel and STP button for around $350, but most seem to spend twice that for the radio alone and much more if they go through Infotainment. Much cheaper to buy it new, plus then there are no concerns with things still not working. And I am still missing the bigger amp and maybe a couple of speakers. And the shark fin antenna (don't see a reason for that yet).

Reactions: ChallyTatum
#12 ·
Man, now you have me looking into the center stack controls. I believe my 2015 RT+ M6 (non-STP) came with 68188878AB but I wonder if I get 68184927AB if that would enable PP and launch control? Probably not.

View attachment 986896
Pretty sure my old one was the top middle (68188878AB - XAA).

New one is the top left. Picture of the sticker on the back of the new one below:

Technology

Pretty unlikely that adding the buttons will activate the pages. I think the button will only display them if they are already working.

I really think pulling the XM antenna plug and resetting the radio will get them to stay on, but then you lose GPS and XM. Hopeful that your idea of getting your account actually cleared from UConnect's database will do the trick.

I think UConnect is killing them with the codes they send over XM.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
What Model dodge do you have and year o have 2019 challenger trying to swap out as well but I don’t know how lol how did you do it ? I can get the bezel around gear box to come up but seems like it’s something bolted on shifter they it want come all the way out ?

How do you swap that out do you know how ?

Btw do the 2018s actually have a radio off button or is the knob just unmute when you press it?
View attachment 988385

#19 ·
2017 and up have the actual power button

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.