Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people might say the V8 Hemi is gas-guzzling, earth-polluting, dinosaur of an engine that has no place in a modern fuel-efficient car line, and if we’re honest with ourselves, it’s pretty easy to fulfill that legacy while driving a Hemi if we use a lead foot. I’ve certainly seen my share of 11 and 15 MPG gas tanks in my Charger.

However, I had an opportunity to do some good sciences with my Hemi tonight, and I was pleasantly surprised with what I was able to accomplish by exercising some self control while driving it. 😁

I had to make an out of town trip earlier, and I am not being hyperbolic when I say I had to pack my car to the brim with stuff to carry with me. So for that 3.5 hr (~200 miles) trip, the Bacon Hauler and it’s 5.7L Hemi was asked to haul:
  • a complete (but disassembled) Weber Spirit E320 propane grill, with the propane bottle.
  • two different detailing kits with polished/buffer, pads, and necessary tools, ext. cords, etc.
  • emergency tool kit for the road which has all the necessities - tire tools, wrenches, sockets, flashlights, etc.
  • Not to mention the spare tire and and jack plus a 12v air compressor for roadside flat repair.
  • A week’s worth of my clothes and toiletries plus dress shirts and extra boots.
  • Laptop and all it’s relevant accessories in a travel notebook bag
  • Phone and iPad wiring and charging accessories for conducting business remotely
  • A cooler for food, drinks, and other necessities.
  • Plus all my normal stereo stuff (ported sub box, 2 amps, a LOC, associated wiring, and inline fuses strung all around trunk and under slide-out amp rack).
  • A Nuke (~275 lbs currently) and about half a tank of gas at all times (~50-60 lbs?)
And that’s in addition to the 4K lbs of car it already had to move around anyway!

I don’t know what the total weight of my traveling vehicle was for the trip, but it’s certainly enough to negatively effect a lesser engine’s ability to move things along in an efficient manner...but not the Hemi!!

It was VERY difficult for me to do, but I managed to make the whole trip without going WOT once! I kept the cruise on and set it at the posted speed limit (or within 10% of it), and I genuinely tried to drive like a normal person, i.e. hyper-miling! 🤓

And was I rewarded at all for doing all these sciences?? You betcha!! I averaged a little better than 25MPG for the whole trip!

And just so you don’t think I’m making up my sciences, I documented them while they were going on, and I have shared out the pics on my OneDrive:

NOTE: I am running a modified DiabloSport canned tune and have the MDS disabled. (Ive seen 27mpg on a cross country trip with it enabled, so the 25MPG without it shakes out.)

Now I will admit to having a slight advantage here with my 2.65 rear-end. I’m not sure I could have done as well with the standard 3.06/7 rear end behind my A5 trans, but even still, we have to work with the hand we’re dealt, and that is my current hand, so....

And now that I’ve saved at least 2 polar bears all by myself from taking it easy on this leg of my trip, I’m going to make up for it tomorrow when I continue on (sans the bbq grill thankfully!) the next leg! I see lots of WOT in my immediate future 👺

Nuke, OUT!!

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
🦶🦶🦶🦶🦶

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: A day without WOT is like a day without oxygen!!

It feels good to be polluting again 😎

E4BB5ED5-9B2E-40A5-B30F-BF7E1374724A.jpeg

Although I must say, what with all the 0-60 and 0-100 runs this morning, I would have expected my MPGs to be a bit lower...oh well, I guess The Bacon Hauler is just too damned awesome...sux to be a polar bear! Haha!!

Now if I could just find a gas station with something better than non-top-Tier 90 octane...Alon and Fina: U Sux!

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you’d rather I take a nap with it Drive and just hope my foot doesn't slip off the brake during a bad dream or something?!? 🤨

No sir! I am nothing if not safe!

When I pull into a road-side park to check the back of my eyelids for cracks, I put that puppy in Park! 😴

Always!!

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Well now, let's not forget it's an FCA vehicle where putting it in park and actually being in park don't always happen at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mechanical column shifter in these cars ain’t near as much fun as the console shifter in my Challengers was, but it’s a damned site more reliable than those electronic dial shifters I’ve seen in newer LXs!

Gimme a wobbly stick to shift my gears any day over a non-descript stereo knob that’s out to kill me when I’m least expecting it! :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts