Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I survived driving in a October storm!!!
I even put her in “Sport Mode”😱 View attachment 980303
Colorado sucks, Wednesday morning was a nightmare to get anywhere. It took me an hour to drive 3 blocks because traffic in Aurora. But, Colorado winters are nothing like east coast winters so driving your car here isn’t as bad because the snow accumulation is less and it melts so fast. I drove a Camaro for 6 years, 365 days a year and never missed work a single time no matter how much snow was out but if I could have had a truck at that time I would have rather driven it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's just wrong, lol. It was over 90° today. It's 66° at almost 3AM. I still have the fan going :)

A Guy
It’s already snowed multiple times over multiple days here. Another reason I’m ready to leave this stupid state behind for the ocean.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It’s already snowed multiple times over multiple days here. Another reason I’m ready to leave this stupid state behind for the ocean.
Think twice before you come to the left coast ocean. The other day with all the smoke from the fires some weather stations were reporting rain. Seems the ash fall was heavy enough to tip the rain gauge bucket.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Think twice before you come to the left coast ocean. The other day with all the smoke from the fires some weather stations were reporting rain. Seems the ash fall was heavy enough to tip the rain gauge bucket.
Yikes. I’m thinking more northern Washington, it’s nice and quiet up there. Sick of all the cold and snow here after 34 years, just over it. Not to mention all the traffic, road construction and idiots moving here who make driving even worse. They can have this state, it’s not that great anyways.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
98 Posts
Live in OHIO here, been driving Blue all year round for 3 years now, it really gets around real good for rwd. Keep in mind you can't be stupid, just take your time in snow. Last year i was passing cops & 4 wheel drive suv's in 3 inches of snow, all season tires are on it. I always keep a full tank of gas in it and when it's winter time i keep 2 40lb. bags of rocks in the truck so that helps out also. The R/T does better then the last 2 Challengers i had, one was SXT and the other an SE, they sucked in anything over 3 inches of snow, I'm thinking it's because the R/T is heavier?? It's fun to do donuts also!! ;)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yikes. I’m thinking more northern Washington, it’s nice and quiet up there. Sick of all the cold and snow here after 34 years, just over it. Not to mention all the traffic, road construction and idiots moving here who make driving even worse. They can have this state, it’s not that great anyways.
Moving to northern Washington you trade the snow for rain. Cold is thrown in for free. Obviously not as cold as where you are but still the climate can be a bit gloomy for a good part of the year.

And Washington politics make California appear almost conservative.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Moving to northern Washington you trade the snow for rain. Cold is thrown in for free. Obviously not as cold as where you are but still the climate can be a bit gloomy for a good part of the year.

And Washington politics make California appear almost conservative.
Depends on area for sure. We were looking at Port Townsend, it’s nice up there. We went there for a wedding and it would be great to just have the ocean nearby with fresh seafood. We’ll be close to Vancouver and can take a ferry to Victoria for day trips and my best friend lives there. Weather is like high of 78 for the year, low of 35, no snow and 3-8 days a month of rain. Give me a little rain over -5 degrees and icy streets and sunshine. Colorado summers and springs are great but honestly summer is is brutally hot sometimes, uncomfortable. The winter is mild but when it’s cold, it’s cold and I honestly just HATE the freezing cold.

Politics is something I don’t give 2 craps about, I honestly just ignore it lol. My sister had to tell me they want to impeach the president yesterday, who knew. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Depends on area for sure. We were looking at Port Townsend, it’s nice up there. We went there for a wedding and it would be great to just have the ocean nearby with fresh seafood. We’ll be close to Vancouver and can take a ferry to Victoria for day trips and my best friend lives there. Weather is like high of 78 for the year, low of 35, no snow and 3-8 days a month of rain. Give me a little rain over -5 degrees and icy streets and sunshine. Colorado summers and springs are great but honestly summer is is brutally hot sometimes, uncomfortable. The winter is mild but when it’s cold, it’s cold and I honestly just HATE the freezing cold.

Politics is something I don’t give 2 craps about, I honestly just ignore it lol. My sister had to tell me they want to impeach the president yesterday, who knew. 🤷‍♂️
Well, to keep this from going too far afield I'll just say politics and politicians and what they have in mind is important. Over not much time they can turn a nice area into a you know what hole and your nice place to live can still have the nice weather, fresh sea food, but the sidewalk outside the seafood resteraunt can be a minefield of bums, druggies with discarded needles, and piles what gives a you know what hole its name. Along with this you have much higher taxes, less efficient government services (even with an appointment at the local CA DMV office I still had to wait in line over an hour), pay more for everything -- CA electric prices are the highest now and used to be rather low and so on.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
I don't feel like reading back through but IF I was concerned about driving many days in the snow out in the wild, AND I wanted a Challenger, I would get... Not a Challenger, but
A 2014 Charger R/T AWD, or a Durango/JGC 5.7, or maybe a 2014 300 5.7 AWD.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't feel like reading back through but IF I was concerned about driving many days in the snow out in the wild, AND I wanted a Challenger, I would get... Not a Challenger, but
A 2014 Charger R/T AWD, or a Durango/JGC 5.7, or maybe a 2014 300 5.7 AWD.
good point! OP just get a trackhawk lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and have a truck and Subaru so the T/A gets parked and covered. I know a number of guys who also park their summer cars and just drive their truck or other AWD. Why anyone would choose to subject a Scat Pack/TA/Hellcat to winter is beyond me. This isn't 1974. You can buy perfectly serviceable AWD or FWD cars for very little and subject them to road salt, brine, sand, gravel, clay etc...we find on the roads. Once the rusting and rotting starts...it's never gonna stop. There are tiny cracks and crevices where underbody wash's won't really flush but the sand and such will sit and stay moist. No thanks....

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
Why anyone would choose to subject a Scat Pack/TA/Hellcat to winter is beyond me. This isn't 1974. ...
For me it is simple. I don't have space for 5 cars. They are cars, they are built for it much better than they were in 1974. I don't understand having a super nice car and not driving it. Salt, sure I get it, if you have a viable option, I don't. Rain, that I don't get at all.
My 1967 El Camino gets wet, but never salt. It doesn't come out until 2 rainstorms after salt. But being SW PA, 2 rainstorms after salt could still be a 60° degree day in mid December.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and have a truck and Subaru so the T/A gets parked and covered. I know a number of guys who also park their summer cars and just drive their truck or other AWD. Why anyone would choose to subject a Scat Pack/TA/Hellcat to winter is beyond me. This isn't 1974. You can buy perfectly serviceable AWD or FWD cars for very little and subject them to road salt, brine, sand, gravel, clay etc...we find on the roads. Once the rusting and rotting starts...it's never gonna stop. There are tiny cracks and crevices where underbody wash's won't really flush but the sand and such will sit and stay moist. No thanks....
Yup, I only bought an expensive sports car now because I COULD garage it and enjoy it when I wanted to. Instead of being forced to drive it 24/7 through all the shit, rocks and weather. I enjoy the hell out of my car and I enjoy it a whole lot more when I get to drive it, I look forward to driving it. Instead of it just being another day of sitting in traffic with everyone else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really like the challenger, but it’s rwd, and I live in Michigan. I was wondering if daily driving this kind of car is even possible in the winter, and what type of winter tires I would need. My brother thinks that it would be impossible to drive a rear wheel drive car in the winter, even with winter tires on, but I wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks in advance!
I would not want to drive my SRT8 on the salt covered Michigan road as I used to live in the upper Midwest and know all to well what salt does to steel. The under carriage suffers a horrible death and given that there is frame the entire structure suffers from premature fatigue. If you want to drive a Challenger during the winter it is certainly possible but I would recommend that you get a used one from a southern state that is not already rusting badly. This will save you ton of money and give you the opportunity to find out if you really are ok with winter driving a RWD Challenger. Get a good set of NARROW snow tires and you should be fine. Don't put on a set of fatties as this will only make getting traction that much harder. I had a 72 Monte Carlo with a 454 and posi traction and good set of snow tires went through everything that Mother Nature could throw at me. I just have a hard time justifying the cost of a new Challenger and taking it out in bad weather, especially salty roads and other people that don't know how to drive.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts