Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after about 6 months of ownership and steady reading I think I have a pretty good basic understanding on my 6.1L Kenne Bell. I have read that the hyper whatever pistons are sissys and weak lol which at this point is my only concern. At 7-8 lb of boost I don't need to run 100 octane but the 91 available in CA can be questioned so I bought a case of 8 oz bottles and decided to at least get another point or two for each tank. This isn't a race car or daily but I do want to see 100k from it. LOL Im not looking to visit Arrington any time soon LOL. Just a little something I am doing for piece of mind. even if such a small amount doesn't make a difference in performance I don't car my intention is to provide the car adequate octane without heavy carbon deposits.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I thought 6.1 pistons were a lot better for boost than the 6.4s. (lower CR and taller ring lands)
I assume you are running a wideband so if you keep your A/Fs in the mid 11s at WOT under boost, you should be fine. Log and look for any detonation. If none, reduce the amount of torco until you start to see a ST KNK. Maybe the torco isn't necessary. Meth fogging is a great way to reduce incoming air temps and add a bunch of octane plus it won't foul plugs or leave a residue over time like octane boosters can.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The 6.1 pistons have a 3mm upper ring land and are prone to failure as well.
I would definitely go with the methanol injection, you probably won't get 100,000 miles but it may help prevent an early catastrophe

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if I don't get 100K it is what it is. I just tossed a pretty penny into this project with the cost of the car and all my mods. I want it to last at least a few years, BUT if this focker were to pop no stock sh!t is going back in LOL closeracing are you running meth? What kit do you have? I am going to actually post now to se what others are running

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well if I don't get 100K it is what it is. I just tossed a pretty penny into this project with the cost of the car and all my mods. I want it to last at least a few years, BUT if this focker were to pop no stock sh!t is going back in LOL closeracing are you running meth? What kit do you have? I am going to actually post now to se what others are running
After I popped a ring land at 63,000 miles I went all forged and added a snow performance stage 3 kit

·
Registered
887 Posts
Who's tune are you running? If the car was properly tuned for 91 octane, you shouldn't need to run anything with it.

Reactions: chukarboy

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you go over 6lbs you risk failure, even with a good tune. I bumped mine up to 8.8 lbs, A/F in the low 11's and 10 degrees timing. At 63,000 BOOM. 7 pistons and plugs and bottom end looked great. The tight end gap and 3mm ring land is your enemy if you are FI.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So after about 6 months of ownership and steady reading I think I have a pretty good basic understanding on my 6.1L Kenne Bell. I have read that the hyper whatever pistons are sissys and weak lol which at this point is my only concern. At 7-8 lb of boost I don't need to run 100 octane but the 91 available in CA can be questioned so I bought a case of 8 oz bottles and decided to at least get another point or two for each tank. This isn't a race car or daily but I do want to see 100k from it. LOL Im not looking to visit Arrington any time soon LOL. Just a little something I am doing for piece of mind. even if such a small amount doesn't make a difference in performance I don't car my intention is to provide the car adequate octane without heavy carbon deposits.

Are you making a batch of the fuel in a jerry can or are you adding the torco accelerator directly to you tank at the gas station?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All great information guys. My tune is a canned tune from KB that was included with the kit. I have read that it is rather conservative. I am at 8lbs but rarely see it as I don't dog the car that much and if I do, I don't need to be in full boost. LOL I was adding Torco for piece of mind. I am not putting it in a "jerry can" Hell I don't even know wha a JC is LOL and I am 39. Either that's some slang I never of or some ole timer shit right there. :) Never the less I was adding a can and swinging a donut to mix it up until the fricking donut killed my power steering pump. HAHA Always something. I think I am going to play with the tune a little to see what I can get out of the car but will certainly monitor my A/F and keep boost to about 9-10lb.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
All great information guys. My tune is a canned tune from KB that was included with the kit. I have read that it is rather conservative. I am at 8lbs but rarely see it as I don't dog the car that much and if I do, I don't need to be in full boost. LOL I was adding Torco for piece of mind. I am not putting it in a "jerry can" Hell I don't even know wha a JC is LOL and I am 39. Either that's some slang I never of or some ole timer shit right there. :) Never the less I was adding a can and swinging a donut to mix it up until the fricking donut killed my power steering pump. HAHA Always something. I think I am going to play with the tune a little to see what I can get out of the car but will certainly monitor my A/F and keep boost to about 9-10lb.
Wait, your original post said you want to see 100k miles on you stock block so you are running torco for added insurance ,then you say your going to mess with the proven conservative safe KB tune and up the boost.

Dude, WTF that's how motors pop. Just leave it alone and you will be fine. Toss the torco and save your money.
Just get quality gas and stay out of part throttle boost. :werd:

Reactions: John Matthews
1 - 10 of 10 Posts