Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger RT Classic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry I came with a another issue on my purple 2013 SRT8, built on 05/May/2013, 4000Km/2500 miles.
I had installed a I-1000-DCX intune for a 91 octane, car at first ran awesome, no probs, never took any trips longer then 20-30 minutes long.
Today my self and a good friend of mine,with another Challenger RT, took a 700 Km trip, awesome no problems,..... till he told me at one stop, that my cooling fan is running all the time when engine is running, the temperature outside was about 10C/45F, car ran about 85-90C at all the time, I thought that is too cold,
Sure shit I got home with a dead battery, the SRT is dead, and after I charged the battery, she wont start,
then I took the push button off and tried to start it with the key, same problem, dead like a rock not even clicking :(
What I did I disconnected the battery, and I put one of the small 2 amp charger on for overnight,
I will give her a shot tomorrow morning,
Any thoughts? Why she wont start with a charged battery?
I am thinking of restoring factory settings, maybe she will be ok.

Please give me a good advice, I really need one.Thanks
:indifferent:

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Did you install a 180* T-stat along with the tune? If you did you need to lower ALL your fan settings by 20*. If not your fan will continually run. Not sure if you have to lower the fan settings without changing the T-stat though. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
same happened to me in regards to fan running all the time; i removed my 180 T stat a long time ago and been running on the stock T stat

just know the tunes are meant to work with a 180 T stat out of the box; so if u have the stock t stat, u will need to set the temps back up from the 193 it is set up at by default

i brought mine up to 205/210 something like that so i maintain my water temp at around 200; sometimes it jacks up to 215 but by then the fans come on and brings it back down as desired

i removed the engine covers so i always run a bit cooler

if ur battery is dead then i would definitely charge it for a long while until u get at least a 13.5 volt output reading

then i would make a change on the tune already in there;

it should update easy and quickly

indeed remove the start button and go through the cycle with the key in there

don't reload stock and load the tune again unless u have a healthy battery;

it can take up to 30 minutes for the cycle to go through and u will need then a battery in top form

updating the tune already in there with the new fan settings should only take a few minutes to upload

ODP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I spoke with a friend of mine, apparently on the 2013-2014 SRT8, because the track package, temperatures on the 91 and 94 octane tunes are lowered to 185 fan on and 180 fan off, this would make the fan run all the time once the water temp hits 185, to avoid overheating, It would not go off unless the water temp goes bellow 180,and it never does,
So, I modified the parameters on the tune , fan on at 205, fan off at 195, second fan speed on at 2010,
I took her for a quick run, and its all good, hot idle stayed constant at 190, and once driving it goes to 195 to 205.

Thank you for the help.:banana:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Ummm, even if the fans are running at 100% all the time the battery should not go dead as long as the car is running.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you install a 180* T-stat along with the tune? If you did you need to lower ALL your fan settings by 20*. If not your fan will continually run. Not sure if you have to lower the fan settings without changing the T-stat though. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/QUOTE
No I did not install a T-stat , I may get one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ummm, even if the fans are running at 100% all the time the battery should not go dead as long as the car is running.
I got home, dusted the car a bit,( 1 mile of grid road from the main Highway to my house), and she was dead when tried to start her.
10.6 volts reading on the volt meter

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
not agreeing to this especially since OP went for a long drive;

if the draw is superior to what the alternator puts out and at one point the battery will start to drain; most likely the starter needs a lot more than 9 volts to crank that V8 at the flywheel

ODP

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If the fans are not staying on with the key off they are not the cause of the battery draw,. I would charge and test the battery first, If the battery is good I would reload the stock tune and recheck . It is possible the flash is corrupt causing the pcm to not sleep whith the ignition off. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
same happened to me in regards to fan running all the time; i removed my 180 T stat a long time ago and been running on the stock T stat

just know the tunes are meant to work with a 180 T stat out of the box; so if u have the stock t stat, u will need to set the temps back up from the 193 it is set up at by default

i brought mine up to 205/210 something like that so i maintain my water temp at around 200; sometimes it jacks up to 215 but by then the fans come on and brings it back down as desired

i removed the engine covers so i always run a bit cooler

if ur battery is dead then i would definitely charge it for a long while until u get at least a 13.5 volt output reading

then i would make a change on the tune already in there;

it should update easy and quickly

indeed remove the start button and go through the cycle with the key in there

don't reload stock and load the tune again unless u have a healthy battery;

it can take up to 30 minutes for the cycle to go through and u will need then a battery in top form

updating the tune already in there with the new fan settings should only take a few minutes to upload

ODP
Diablo lowers the fan settings in the tune so if your not running a 180 stat you need to go in and raise the fan settings back to factory or maybe a little lower.If your leaving the tuner plunged in all the time it will drain your batt. There is no way to turn the tuner off except to unplug it. I had the same problem with the fans and the batt. Its an easy fix.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
I spoke with a friend of mine, apparently on the 2013-2014 SRT8, because the track package, temperatures on the 91 and 94 octane tunes are lowered to 185 fan on and 180 fan off, this would make the fan run all the time once the water temp hits 185, to avoid overheating, It would not go off unless the water temp goes bellow 180,and it never does,
So, I modified the parameters on the tune , fan on at 205, fan off at 195, second fan speed on at 2010,
I took her for a quick run, and its all good, hot idle stayed constant at 190, and once driving it goes to 195 to 205.

Thank you for the help.:banana:
Good job that's what needs to be done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found the problem!!!

Spent a full day checking and rechecking everything on the car, all the warning lights would come on and off
at random times, engine ran like is ready to blow, so found one of the main positive wire connection that comes from the battery to that post on the side of the fuse block, just sitting on that little post, not tighten by that nut.
Could not seen it because that red cover was covering it, and never thought that such a important connection would be left from the factory like that, just sitting and creating a bad connection!!!!
Very disappointing....:(
Anyways, please check guys that connection nut on your car, ensure that is tight. Mine is tight now!LOL
Cleared all the 47 codes, and everything seems ok now!! Also got a new battery, the original one would not take charge anymore. I will go to the dealer, see if I can get warranty for it:fight:

Thanks for all your input

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
not agreeing to this especially since OP went for a long drive;

if the draw is superior to what the alternator puts out and at one point the battery will start to drain; most likely the starter needs a lot more than 9 volts to crank that V8 at the flywheel

ODP
Trust me, it doesn't matter if the fans are on 100% modulation. If the car is running (even at idle) the battery will not die if the charging system is ok. When the fans are already running, they don't draw very many amps at all.

I believe the OP found the problem anyway. A loose wire or terminal at the battery.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts