Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got that sweet spot in the launch...that is until BANG! Snapped my drivers side half shaft. I have roadside assistance so the tow was covered. (AAA wont pick up at the track) Then parts and labor got covered under warranty. So I got off easy. Until the tow truck driver chipped one of my rims and the dealership scratched the crap out of my car. GRRRRR!!! :icon_evil:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tires were you using?

f1's. Thats the suprising thing. This usually doesnt happen unless you put on dr's. The track was super sticky. When I stepped on to the track it tried to pull my shoes off my feet

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good to know about the AAA thing, as far as the dealer goes, did you take it to Arigo? I hate the thought of taking my car in, but warranty I guess you have no choice,
was your car auto or stick? and what RPM's did you launch out of

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to Napleton on Northlake. They didnt give me any bs about my upgrades and respected my wishes to not have the car flashed for upgrades. It was all good up until the whole scratch and dent deal. But they owned up to it, and are gonna make it right. I'd use them again.
The car is stick. Honestly I wasnt watching the tach. (I was using the force) My guess would be around 3000 rpms.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow, I was nervous launching at 4,000rpm with 305/45/R18 Drag Radials! Now i know i'm lucky i didnt break something!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I was nervous launching at 4,000rpm with 305/45/R18 Drag Radials! Now i know i'm lucky i didnt break something!

Its got me gun shy now. It doesnt seem like it would be hard to do again. Unless I drop some cash on performance axles. Hey, Mr belvedere. I read your post about your track times. Coincidently, we both had our cars at the track for the first time on the same weekend. And I was scratching my head just like you were about the performance of the 6 speed at the track. I know I can fine tune my driving. But this car should scream down the track! WTF!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
yikes! what mods do you have?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I think I finally got my signature straightened out with my mods attached. I'll see when I post this.
see them now....thats crazy.

are you dumping the clutch or slipping it at all?

this makes me nervous now because i plan on getting wider, stickier tires for my r/t with my future mods all eventually installed in my signature. i dont dump the clutch though, so hopefully i'll be ok. (not assuming you did)

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed and under warranty. We couldn't believe it when you sent the text message Wednesday night. Hopefully the dealer will make the car look like new again. It is such a beautiful car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear you got it fixed and under warranty. We couldn't believe it when you sent the text message Wednesday night. Hopefully the dealer will make the car look like new again. It is such a beautiful car.

Unfortunately you can never match the factory paint job. I'll always look down the side of the car and be able to tell work was done. I'm very pissed off about it. :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Those axles wont break with your power unless it sufferes a severe shock. I ran mine ( Getrag conversion) for two summers running drag radials and racing every weekend. You need to slip the clutch some and also avoid wheel hop. The axle most likely had some fatigue/stress cracks from previous runs where wheel hop was involved.

Now that you have a new one you will be fine if you run drag radials, ride the clutch a little and have no wheel hop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those axles wont break with your power unless it sufferes a severe shock. I ran mine ( Getrag conversion) for two summers running drag radials and racing every weekend. You need to slip the clutch some and also avoid wheel hop. The axle most likely had some fatigue/stress cracks from previous runs where wheel hop was involved.

Now that you have a new one you will be fine if you run drag radials, ride the clutch a little and have no wheel hop.
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I dont deny having wheel hop a couple of times recently. Just not on that particular launch. I wonder if the other half shaft has been weakened. I guess Ill find out cause I'm hooking up with some Hoosiers and plan on hitting the track again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey flat top, your sig says it all. Thanks Tim, it happens I suppose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts