Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping for the challenger for about 6 months but I kept going back to the import because I didnt like the way dodge kept jacking up the price on the challengers but I just loved the look of the challenger so it kept me going back to dealerships. I was going to get the 370z but Im not a small guy and coming from a s2000 i wanted something that looked manly but I liked the sports car feel. Well I started thread "I should not have waited" I take that back Im glad I did. Found a 2009 SRT8 Blacked Out with a mopar hood and cold air intake and man Im in love right now. This car is AWESOME and had a grin when I took the car out for the test drive. Bought my wife to look at car and she had a grin bigger than mine and she wanted me to get the 370z. Well Im gonna be picking up the car next week because I am having a sunroof installed and one of the rims had a little curb rash and is getting fixed. Dont think I can wait till next Friday. Plus when I took wife out I had rock star status in my 2nd test drive. I dont think I will be going out alone that much with this car.LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
welcome dude!

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Good choice, congrats.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Welcome and congrats

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Post pics when you get it, I'm curious about the sunroof.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Great news and good luck with the car!

Don't tell the wife but I love the attention this car gets... OK I think the wife knows but I'll never confess to it :bigthumb:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Comgrats! Sports cars are overrated and muscle cars rule :) Wife owns a Cayman that I hardly ever drive because the Challenger is so much more comfortable...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sounds awesome. When in doubt, buy American!

·
Registered
988 Posts
86 the sunroof.... I have had a couple and also t-tops. Nothing but a PITA especially a dealer installed one. If the installer isn't good I will be a nightmare, leaks, electrical gremlins, headliner problems you name it. But the biggest downside is you lose structural integrity.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I Had a similar experience, also coming from the Honda family (1994 Prelude Si).

I was looking at Volvo (C30) Audi (A3) and VW (CC) but was struck by the singular beauty of the Challenger. I kept seeing Camaro and Mustang mentioned in articles about it but never even considered those cars.

I liked the idea of going American the way my dad raised me, but was initially put off by what I thought was a lack of electronics technology. I saw the 1/8" analog port on the front of the radio and thought 'god how incredibly stupid'. Most imports have this jack in a hidden place like the center arm rest or glovebox. I was thinking I'd just have the analog out of my mp3 player connected to it since I'm anti ipod and there was no way in hell I'd have cables visible anywhere in the car. But I'm anal like that. That was also a big motivator for me to get built in navigation despite the somewhat insane cost compared to a hand held garmin unit and the cost of updating and/or repair etc.

Anyway, once I realized the thing could have a built in hardrive, 'hidden' usb access and voice recognition for music, navigation and phone (730N) I was completely sold. This actually 'out techs' 99% of most imports. Right on Dodge! Add in the possibilities with a 'Lockpick' and cameras and I'm in geek heaven.....

Everytime I thought about the Challenger it seemed to obliterate the thought of any of those other 'boring' cars. There was just no way my inner child was going to let me get away with *not* getting it. He would have beat me up.

I had seen a LOT of pictures before the first time I stood next to one and thought 'wow this thing is pretty BIG'. The first time I drove one I was intimidated. The view of the hood from the inside seemed ENORMOUS to me. Again, I'm coming from driving a Prelude for 11 years.

I'm waiting for delivery on mine. I'm excited. I know it's going to be WAY different from what I'm used to but very much sense I'll grow to love it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
X2 on the size adjustment. First time I stood behind one in person I thought how it was big like a 70s car, they kept retro in the size compartment. I actually sold my karmann ghia to start the process of getting my challenger, talk about one end of the size spectrum to another.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
86 the sunroof.... I have had a couple and also t-tops. Nothing but a PITA especially a dealer installed one. If the installer isn't good I will be a nightmare, leaks, electrical gremlins, headliner problems you name it. But the biggest downside is you lose structural integrity.
I never had a problem with the sunroofs I had but of course they all came from the factory. I turned down a lot of challengers because it didnt have the sunroof BUT they sent it out right after I left to have sunroof installed. Im just gonna cross my fingers and hope there are no problems. Charged me a really good price.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I Had a similar experience, also coming from the Honda family (1994 Prelude Si).

I was looking at Volvo (C30) Audi (A3) and VW (CC) but was struck by the singular beauty of the Challenger. I kept seeing Camaro and Mustang mentioned in articles about it but never even considered those cars.

I liked the idea of going American the way my dad raised me, but was initially put off by what I thought was a lack of electronics technology. I saw the 1/8" analog port on the front of the radio and thought 'god how incredibly stupid'. Most imports have this jack in a hidden place like the center arm rest or glovebox. I was thinking I'd just have the analog out of my mp3 player connected to it since I'm anti ipod and there was no way in hell I'd have cables visible anywhere in the car. But I'm anal like that. That was also a big motivator for me to get built in navigation despite the somewhat insane cost compared to a hand held garmin unit and the cost of updating and/or repair etc.

Anyway, once I realized the thing could have a built in hardrive, 'hidden' usb access and voice recognition for music, navigation and phone (730N) I was completely sold. This actually 'out techs' 99% of most imports. Right on Dodge! Add in the possibilities with a 'Lockpick' and cameras and I'm in geek heaven.....

Everytime I thought about the Challenger it seemed to obliterate the thought of any of those other 'boring' cars. There was just no way my inner child was going to let me get away with *not* getting it. He would have beat me up.

I had seen a LOT of pictures before the first time I stood next to one and thought 'wow this thing is pretty BIG'. The first time I drove one I was intimidated. The view of the hood from the inside seemed ENORMOUS to me. Again, I'm coming from driving a Prelude for 11 years.

I'm waiting for delivery on mine. I'm excited. I know it's going to be WAY different from what I'm used to but very much sense I'll grow to love it.
It did seem enormous to me and like I said coming from the S I was also intimidated. I passed up the navigation because of the way this car looked. Scooped hood blacked out lights black wheels it looks like a BEAST. Im going to install an aftermarket in dash nav. Cleaning out the garage to make space for the beast.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I moved up from a 2003 Mustang, at 3100 lbs it was a bit intimidating at first getting used to the Challenger. I must say though, and I know Ford has updated the suspension and such since then, that the Challenger handles much better, even in tight turns, where the 'Stang would wobble and jump around due to the solid rear axle.

You'll have a blast, letting the Hemi out at WOT is a whole new experience, it's like driving a freight train.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great news and good luck with the car!

Don't tell the wife but I love the attention this car gets... OK I think the wife knows but I'll never confess to it :bigthumb:
Luckily, this wasn't and adjustment my wife had to make. The first 30 miles of attention it received caused her comment "Jeeze, just like the Buick. Can't you drive something that doesn't get noticed?"

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well Im gonna be picking up the car next week because I am having a sunroof installed and one of the rims had a little curb rash and is getting fixed.
Congrats! I hate to be a downer but I too would reconsider the sunroof install if it's not too late. If it is, best of luck with it. I have a factory sunroof and love it but I have heard many horror stories about aftermarket installs. Check it out carefully and keep an eye on it. Hopefully you wont have any issues. Again, enjoy your Challenger!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome and congrats, it'll take about a week then you'll be used to the size. i came from a neon srt-4 to this beast, took some time getting used to the blind spots and other such things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts